• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who wants to live forever?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That’s why my favorite scripture in the Bible is Revelation 21:4 - “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.”

This much refers to the flesh set aside.
Eternal life is spiritual.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'll take immortality with two caveats: That I can remain in my prime physical health and that I can choose suicide when I decide I am good and done.

I tentatively agree, although if this was the universally understood deal I probably would have checked out when I was 12, and now I'm glad I didn't. My current opinion is that nature is better than I am at knowing when it is time for me to die. In the mean time, I'm happy to just explore.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I if could live 500 years, i think it's much more likely that i wouldn't be bored. If i can live 5000 years, i think it's more likely that i'd get bored at some point.

If i can live forever, i think it's almost a matter of certainty that i'll get bored eventually. So, it seems just a question of whether or not it's worth it.

Due to my situation now, and the way i perceive the question, it's seems extremely likely i'd think it's worth it. But who knows what i'd choose if i was really presented with the option.
If you can live 50 years without getting bored at some point you are a better man than I.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I suspect we already effectively live forever.

Wonder in all actuality just how old every individual atom that makes up our form and being really is?

Not feeling so young perhaps? Ageless. ;0)

Having my atoms scattered about after I die ain't live'n.
I need them all together causing my brain to do what it does.
(It could do a better job, but I take what I can get.)

Well said Revoltingest as an atheist yourself. That 'atoms are still you' argument always struck me as just a little prozac for some atheists.

Last edited:

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
fantôme profane;3671538 said:
If you can live 50 years without getting bored at some point you are a better man than I.

I meant bored with life in general rather than bored at some points of my life.

There's no escaping feeling bored at times, and i'm really fine with that. I was talking about being bored enough to wish i could be dead, which would be the problem in the immortality scenario.

Basically, i was talking about the point where i'd feel there's nothing left i want to do in life, or that is motivating enough for me to want to keep on going.

Aquitaine

Who wants to live forever? Not me.
I'm happy with the fact that I will die, I'm just hoping the actual death process will be minimally-traumatic.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
the problems of just getting old are manifold.
Things either stop working or stop working very well.
in the end you are no longer any help to other people, or useful in any meaningful way.
The balance turns, when your abilities are overwhelmed by your shortcomings.
I am nearing that phase where I can rarely put my knowledge and skills to useful purpose.

This is the cycle of life.
It is not to be regretted, nor could infinite added years improve things.

Now If You could add years to your active middle years, that would be worth while.

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The length of time I'd like to live if the choice were up to me depends on the quality of that life.

Without some super healing factor that allows the body to always return itself to perfect health, life would become really problematic. As it stands, I already have sources of chronic pain from injuries and from birth, so I wouldn't really want to carry those pains for 500 years or more. That would be lame. But if the body were perfectly healthy and felt good, I could probably amuse myself for at least 500 years.

If the environment were expanded to allow the exploration of other worlds, the time I could amuse myself for would probably increase further.

But eventually I'd ask, "now what?" After a while, things become repetitions of other things with only slight changes.