• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Wants to Live Forever? And Why?

Do you want to live forever?

• Yes, in all possibilities

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • No, in all possibilities

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Yes, with some possibilities

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No, with some possibilities

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have been asking you for quite some time to point out where i have said that living forever would be an enjoyable situation. This is all your misunderstanding, or misrepresentation of what i have said.

Considering how you have misrepresented me so far, i don't think that your opinion on how 'i seem' to have done something holds any value.
No, you tend to employ the Socratic method in various threads. Meaning, instead of proposing anything, you tend to state that other proposals are not absolutely verifiable, even if others haven't suggested that anything is absolutely verifiable.

So you've defended the notion that 10 quadrillion years of video games may be worthwhile.

If you're not under the impression that living forever would be an enjoyable situation, then all of your posts to me have been irrelevant because my post was about how it would be unwise to agree to live forever without the option of ending it.

So why do you keep replying to me?
Because it only takes a few seconds for me to do so when it pops up in my user cp. You replied to me initially, and I've merely responded to your posts directed at me.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
No, you tend to employ the Socratic method in various threads. Meaning, instead of proposing anything, you tend to state that other proposals are not absolutely verifiable, even if others haven't suggested that anything is absolutely verifiable.

I don't state that other proposals are not absolutely verifiable.
I merely state they are, typically, nothing more than opinions and that they should be treated as such.
Opinions as such make for very weak arguments. That's the key point.

So you've defended the notion that 10 quadrillion years of video games may be worthwhile.

I didn't mean it as spending literally non-stop 10 quadrillion years playing video games. But indeed i said that video games might still be worthwhile after an obscenely high ammount of time.

If you're not under the impression that living forever would be an enjoyable situation, then all of your posts to me have been irrelevant because my post was about how it would be unwise to agree to live forever without the option of ending it.

I may disagree with the reasoning behind the conclusion and, at the same time, agree with the conclusion. Do you see any problem with that?

Because it only takes a few seconds for me to do so when it pops up in my user cp. You replied to me initially, and I've merely responded to your posts directed at me.

Oh, so we are not finished yet.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't state that other proposals are not absolutely verifiable.
I merely state they are, typically, nothing more than opinions and that they should be treated as such.
Opinions as such make for very weak arguments. That's the key point.

I didn't mean it as spending literally non-stop 10 quadrillion years playing video games. But indeed i said that video games might still be worthwhile after an obscenely high ammount of time.

I may disagree with the reasoning behind the conclusion and, at the same time, agree with the conclusion. Do you see any problem with that?

Oh, so we are not finished yet.
I think we might be done Koldo.

I'm not really seeing anything that strikes my interest in these posts. There's nothing in particular that I have said that seems to have been thoroughly contested.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
At the end of the day, it's all surmise and conjecture.

But I sure wouldn't say no to being reincarnated as an elf in Middle Earth.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I voted for the first option. Yes, in all possibilities. I'll say why again even though I already did earlier. I cannot imagine, and am terrified to try to imagine my non-existence. If I could guarantee my eternal existence I would.

Another thing is that I am extremely curious about humanity's future. I want to know what we will be like 100, 200, 5000, 1 million, 1 billion years from now. I really would love to be here for all of it. It sucks that I won't see any of those.

Orias

Left Hand Path
I voted for the last option. I don't really know why, just that "living" forever seems too cliche, I'd rather be "dead" forever.

If any of you can catch my drift.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I voted for the last option. I don't really know why, just that "living" forever seems too cliche, I'd rather be "dead" forever.

If any of you can catch my drift.

I don't really catch your drift. It might be a cliche that single ads look for people who enjoy "long walks on a beach", but if you truly enjoy long walks on a beach and want your partner to enjoy that too, then isn't it better to embrace your cliche rather than risk getting something you really don't want?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Wasn't sure what the difference was between the last two.

I want to live forever, only if the conditions are either blissful (heaven) or if they're not blissful then I'd prefer to not be aware of living forever (kinda like getting total amnesia every 100 years or reincarnation)

I wouldn't want to live forever if the conditions were horrible and I knew that it will never end.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Difference between probably yes and probably no, I suppose

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the "Yes, with some possibilities" mean yes but only under certain circumstances?

And doesn't the "No, with some possibilities" mean not in some circumstances?

The bottom one is just a negative version of the top one, isn't it? :D

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
Well, it could be that you don't want to live forever, but if it was innate, there are forms that are preferable, such as being able to die in some other way or negate your immortality. They are certainly related and overlap in that they are specific and not general.