• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Wants to Live Forever? And Why?

Do you want to live forever?

• Yes, in all possibilities

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • No, in all possibilities

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Yes, with some possibilities

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No, with some possibilities

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
Immortality in a provisional sense, since you can get out of it through nirvana, though qualifying whether that's immortality is a whole other thing.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Just imagine if we were all greedy and wanted to lived forever, my god where would we all live ?.
and the Carpenter said....
There are many mansions in My Father's House....

Sounds backwards when spoken.
makes sense to me having thought about it.

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
Mathematics is still technically abstract in nature, it's not realized in a concrete fashion like we can with energy. Numbers are still essentially nonphysical realities, same as ethical concepts. But infinity would require a perspective we don't have if it was to be made into something we can experience, rather than merely conceive of.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Nope, zero interest in living forever. We're born, we live, we die. That's the circle of life, it's foolish to want more.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Mathematics is still technically abstract in nature, it's not realized in a concrete fashion like we can with energy. Numbers are still essentially nonphysical realities, same as ethical concepts. But infinity would require a perspective we don't have if it was to be made into something we can experience, rather than merely conceive of.
and a popular theoretical physicist of tv fame.....
reports the 'problem' his discipline of mathematics has with infinity.

He demonstrated with an equation on the chalk board that ends with a solution....infinity plus infinity plus.......infinitely.....
He then strikes a thoughtful pose for the camera as he narrates the program.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Nope, zero interest in living forever. We're born, we live, we die. That's the circle of life, it's foolish to want more.
I think it foolish to settle for a box in the ground.
especially when there are 7billion+ alive and kicking now....
What?....no one survives the last breath?
not one chance in billions?
not once?

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
not once?

We all settle for a box in the ground eventually. If nobody ever died, the planet would be choked in humanity and everyone would be miserable. Just do what you're going to do while you're here and then get out of the way for the next generation. To do otherwise is childish and selfish.

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
not once?
The problem remains that, even if it were the case for some, is it desirable?

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
and a popular theoretical physicist of tv fame.....
reports the 'problem' his discipline of mathematics has with infinity.

He demonstrated with an equation on the chalk board that ends with a solution....infinity plus infinity plus.......infinitely.....
He then strikes a thoughtful pose for the camera as he narrates the program.

Not sure what that demonstrates besides that mathematics ultimately deals with abstractions, including imaginary numbers

JFish123

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437345032.341797.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437345049.908332.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437345061.291289.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437345069.374792.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437345077.810873.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437345214.061928.jpg

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Not sure what that demonstrates besides that mathematics ultimately deals with abstractions, including imaginary numbers
I was agreeing with you....
even to the extent that time is a quotient on a chalk board.
Time does not exist.

have you considered?

Can you live forever?(able to....is a primary question)

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
So the issue is that, even before considering whether we want to live forever, that we should recognize that "forever" is a hollow concept? An apt observation

To say time doesn't exist might be excessive, since it's similar to numbers in that it's abstract and measuring something we perceive in variable ways, even as a species by context, let alone other animals, since cats, having a faster heartbeat, perceive time as moving much faster. Numbers are a bit less debatable than time, since we do have varying calendar structures, etc.

But time exists, in the same way God exists: people seek to understand it, but cannot render it strictly physical and comprehensible even if it did exist in a sense that was agreed upon, rather than a vague nebulous concept

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Well what we have overhead has been around for a long time.(so to speak)
I would like to think the Creator that started all of this will still be round about.

If He isn't.....then asking Him why (about the universe) might be a bit difficult.
If God fails to live forever......what hope (or future) do you have?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So the issue is that, even before considering whether we want to live forever, that we should recognize that "forever" is a hollow concept? An apt observation

To say time doesn't exist might be excessive, since it's similar to numbers in that it's abstract and measuring something we perceive in variable ways, even as a species by context, let alone other animals, since cats, having a faster heartbeat, perceive time as moving much faster. Numbers are a bit less debatable than time, since we do have varying calendar structures, etc.

But time exists, in the same way God exists: people seek to understand it, but cannot render it strictly physical and comprehensible even if it did exist in a sense that was agreed upon, rather than a vague nebulous concept
Time is not a force or a substance.
It's not real.
It is a cognitive device made by Man to serve Man.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I'm not under the impression it was referred to in context as a large luxurious building, but rather as a dwelling in ancient times.
Yes that could true, I see it myself being one with God, or one in Consciousness, all is One Consciousness, so there is much room for all to be in, even though we are already there, many people haven't realized it yet, and so the parable, or metaphor of Jesus.