• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who voted for Bush

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
spacemonkey said:
Come on, SOMEBODY had to....
Well, obviously, but who wants to admit it? I didn't on the first term, but I did on the second. And yes, I'm very, very sorry I did. On the other hand, what kind of a choice was Kerry? I mean, this was the best a country the size of the US could come up with! That is absolutely pathetic. I should have just voted for Ralph Nader like my sister did.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Katzpur said:
I mean, this was the best a country the size of the US could come up with! That is absolutely pathetic. I should have just voted for Ralph Nader like my sister did.
No kidding. I wasn't overly impressed with Mr. Stiffy myself.

I think we should have more the grocery style mentality in choosing our national leader, lots of choices in lots of flavors. Wouldn't that be cool ?

I know, I know....it's not feasible. But, hey, I can dream.

Smoke

Done here.
shaktinah said:
The classic argument between liberals and conservatives is a respectable one. (I respect the conservative view, as you guys have outlined it, even tho I disagree.) But now the supposed liberals are trying to be weaker versions of conservatives and the supposed conservatives have gone insane.
What shaktinah said.

If the Democrats don't get their act together pretty soon, I won't be voting for them in 2008, either. Living in South Carolina, I know our electoral votes will be going to whatever corrupt, fundie-cuddling hack the Republicans nominate, so I have the luxury of voting my conscience.

Ciscokid

I voted for Bush. I didn't think much of John Kerry. I don't think much of Bush now either...I can only wonder how Kerry would have done. I would like Ted Nuggent for President.

kateyes

I voted for Bush both times--I consider myself an Independent, and have voted for democratic candidates in the past. I just could not think that Gore or Kerry would do anything approaching a good job. Neither of them are leaders--they I think are great number 2 guys. I don't agree with all of Pres. Bush's decisions but at least he can make a decision.

There are people out there who could do a worse job than Ted Nugent.

Smoke

Done here.
kateyes said:
There are people out there who could do a worse job than Ted Nugent.
Actually, Ted could probably do a lot better than what we've got now, but I'd still like to aim a lot higher.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Besides, isn't there a law against more than one person in the entertainment industry being a politician at one time?

PureX

Veteran Member
Katzpur said:
Well, obviously, but who wants to admit it? I didn't on the first term, but I did on the second. And yes, I'm very, very sorry I did. On the other hand, what kind of a choice was Kerry? I mean, this was the best a country the size of the US could come up with! That is absolutely pathetic. I should have just voted for Ralph Nader like my sister did.
I agree, and I did vote for Nader.

The reason we're getting such terrible candidates on BOTH SIDES of the political fence is because the wealthy corporations and special interests that are funding BOTH party's campaigns are choosing the candidates they want. Kerry was a terrible candidate, and so was Bush, and we all knew it. But both of them are rich, and are hopelessly aligned with the rich, and both of them could be counted on to do what their rich friends want them to. McCain isn't a 'rich-boy' and couldn't be trusted to act in their interest, and that's why the wealthy republican sponsors funding the republican campaign didn't want him. Likewise, Howard Dean was not a rich-boy, either, and couldn't be trusted to do their bidding if elected, and so he wasn't acceptable to the real power-brokers on the democratic side.

And you may as well expect the same poor choices in the next elections, too, because nothing in the system has changed. The wealthy campaign financiers are going to continue to choose rich-boy hand puppets who they know will do their bidding as candidates, and they will continue to blackball any real candidate that they can't control, regardless of party affiliation, just like they did to McCain and Dean.

McCain sadly has chosen to suck up to them, hoping I suppose to convince them to run him as a republican candidate, but I don't think it'll work. And even if it does, and the wealthy campaign financiers choose to run him, who's going to vote for such a pathetic suck-up? Not me. McCain could have been a true hero, and broken American politics wide open had he switched to an independent ticket and ran against both Bush AND Kerry in the last election. And I think he could have won, too. But he wussed out, and stumped for Bush even though he knew Bush was a terrible candidate. He went from hero to zero, if you ask me.

I'll continue to vote for third party candidates, hoping that some day my fellow citizens will wake up and see that the wealthy elite are calling the shots in both major parties, and the only way to counter them is by creating and supporting ligitimate third, forth, and fifth parties until we can finally get some real campaign finance reforms passed.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
I voted for Nader in 2000 and felt bad because I could have helped beat G-Dub but instead voted for the candidate I felt TRULEY cares about the people of the United States. I've noticed many people state that they felt Gore and Kerry were not qualified or wouldn't do a good job, and I was wondering why you felt that way? Gore was VP for 8 years, so he was FAR more qualified then Bush the Younger in 2000. As for Kerry, I'd take someone who was willing to fight for his country over a draft dodger any day of the week for ANY job, especially one that comes with the title Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces.

The republican party no longer tries to debate issues, they just go on the offensive with a smear campaign. Right here in my hometown of Louisville, KY the race for our districts House of Reps spot has recently turned pretty ugly. John Yarmuth, a local publisher who started the LEO (Louisville Eccentric Observer, sold in 2003) and continues to write a weekly, progressive political column in it, is running against Republican incumbant Anne Northup. Ms. Northup has decided that instead of campaigning on things like issues, she is going to attack Mr. Yarmuth. She demanded copies of every LEO ever printed and has published quotes from 16 years of his column on the internet http://www.theyarmuthrecord.com/. Her television ads feature 12 year old quotes from him SUGGESTING changes to the social security structure or decriminalizing marijuana. Mr. Yarmuth has actually responded in a rather humorous way, choosing not to sling mud back....observe http://www.yarmuthforcongress.com/yarmuth.php/campaign/multimedia/television-spots/ridiculous/

It seems to me the Ms. Northup is taking a page STRAIGHT out of the Karl Rove playbook.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I did.

Bush represented my political views far more than the other candidates did, especially concerning the war, taxes and abortion.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
spacemonkey said:
I voted for Nader in 2000 and felt bad because I could have helped beat G-Dub but instead voted for the candidate I felt TRULEY cares about the people of the United States. I've noticed many people state that they felt Gore and Kerry were not qualified or wouldn't do a good job, and I was wondering why you felt that way? Gore was VP for 8 years, so he was FAR more qualified then Bush the Younger in 2000. As for Kerry, I'd take someone who was willing to fight for his country over a draft dodger any day of the week for ANY job, especially one that comes with the title Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces.
Well I voted for both Gore and Kerry so I am probably not the one you want answers from. I do think they were both better qualified than Bush - I still can't understand why anyone would think otherwise - but I can tell you that I voted for both even tho I was extremely unhappy with the way they ran their campaigns, and I did think that the way they ran their campaigns said something about what they would be like as president.

Without going into the nitty-gritty, my annoyance with both Gore and Kerry was that they didn't trust the people, and it showed. They were constantly looking at poll numbers, trying to guage what the public wanted and then trying to be that thing even if it wasn't true to themselves. They didn't trust that if they presented their case in the best way that they could and were authentic, that the people would recognize this and respond to it. If you don't trust the people, then why should the people trust you? One good thing that I can say for Bush is that even tho I think his administration has been extremely deceitful about a number of things, he has not tried to pass himself off as anything other than what he is (except for competant). Gore was going thru so many changes in persona that it was embarrassing. (That said, he still won the popular vote.) And Kerry... well for example, Kerry is a deeply religious man, a devout Catholic. But he didn't want to express that because he thought it might alienate the non-religious left. So instead, Bush comes off as the good Christian while Kerry is the godless liberal. Crap, I want someone leftward leaning who truly has a vision, who believes in America, who can inspire us to be our best, not conform to what he thinks we want, or worse yet play to our fears and inspire us to be our worst.

Booko

Deviled Hen
MidnightBlue said:
If the Democrats don't get their act together pretty soon, I won't be voting for them in 2008, either. Living in South Carolina, I know our electoral votes will be going to whatever corrupt, fundie-cuddling hack the Republicans nominate, so I have the luxury of voting my conscience.

National-level politics is pretty much the same in Jawja.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Ciscokid said:
I voted for Bush. I didn't think much of John Kerry. I don't think much of Bush now either...I can only wonder how Kerry would have done. I would like Ted Nuggent for President.

We should hire Ted Nugent as a consultant on school safety...

(Now where did I put my bowstring wax? I must prepare!)

Booko

Deviled Hen
MidnightBlue said:
Go to your room and think about what you said, young man! ;)

I remember years ago, when Reagan ran the first time, and some guys I know put up this poster they'd made that said "Make America Fun Again!" Everyone thought they were joking, and then discovered they were serious.

But you know, with the Nuge in the White House, that would fly for a campaign poster, eh?

Booko

Deviled Hen
MidnightBlue said:
Go to your room and think about what you said, young man! ;)

I remember years ago, when Reagan ran the first time, and some guys I know put up this poster they'd made that said "Make America Fun Again!" Everyone thought they were joking, and then discovered they were serious.

But you know, with the Nuge in the White House, that would fly for a campaign poster, eh?