• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who or what is being mindful?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Anything that one can be mindful about or anything that can be grasped physically or mentally, is anatta. When all such graspable objects are discarded as anatta, what further?
Interesting how one can still cling to and crave that which cannot be grasped.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Easy. If you're speaking of relative reality, it's you. If it's ultimate, there is no you.
It doesn't make any difference; we're not God incarnate... God can speak through/to us as well, so we're still able to hear from our soul, if we're mindful.

Having had a NDE, have experienced ultimate reality, and been in a place of pure consciousness, where all is One; within that the same things apply, the only difference is we can be conscious of the whole universe's feelings, and not just our own. :innocent:

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Life is lived.
Pleasure is enjoyed.
Pain is accepted.
Skill is developed.
Compassion is free flowing.
Questioning ceases.

That is fine, provided one is true to oneself.

On Internet, I find many asserting "I know it. There is no self". Or similar.

If I ask back "How and by whom it has been known?" And the weather often turns rough.
:eek:

Papoon

That is fine, provided one is true to oneself.

On Internet, I find many asserting "I know it. There is no self". Or similar.

If I ask back "How and by whom it has been known?" And the weather often turns rough.
:eek:

If you ask me, my answer is "who cares ?".
There is actually no need to grasp the lubricated goat, and no point in lubricating it.

crossfire

Premium Member
Anything that one can be mindful about or anything that can be grasped physically or mentally, is anatta. When all such graspable objects are discarded as anatta, what further?

Nihilism is far worse, IMO.

Just because something cannot be grasped doesn't mean there is nothing there. It just means "ungraspable."
So referring to your previous post, I will say that understanding is not craving.
Referring to this whole line of reasoning:

Is equating
"understanding that which cannot be grasped as 'ungraspable'"
to
"nihilism"​
an indication of tanha/fiery craving?

atanu

Premium Member
If you ask me, my answer is "who cares ?".
There is actually no need to grasp the lubricated goat, and no point in lubricating it.

Obviously there are other views also.

I answered previously. Understanding is not grasping or clinging. Saying "I know I do not exist" is.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
Referring to this whole line of reasoning:

Is equating
"understanding that which cannot be grasped as 'ungraspable'"
to
"nihilism"​
an indication of tanha/fiery craving?

Ma'am I do not follow you. In your post 21, you suggested 'craving' in response to a post of mine. I assumed that you attributed a quality of craving to my line of questioning.

I do not know whether my assumption was correct or wrong.

crossfire

Premium Member
Ma'am I do not follow you. In your post 21, you suggested 'craving' in response to a post of mine. I assumed that you attributed a quality of craving to my line of questioning.

I do not know whether my assumption was correct or wrong.
Regarding these quotes:
This statement was a general statement. It was not necessarily about you. It was just an observation regarding craving something ungraspable.
However, isn't insisting on a "who" regarding something ungraspable one way of expressing clinging or craving? (It's not necessarily the question itself. It's the insistence that is more of a possible indicator, imo.)

mystic64

nolonger active
If I knew, then I would be safe. If I knew, then I would have power and with power I would then be safe. If we could grasp that which can not be grasped we would then no longer be vulnerable. Balanced mindfullness takes us deep into the world of vunerable and deep into the world of power until one reaches the point where they choose the third option :) >