• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is your Ishta Devata (Favourite form of God to worship)?

Who is your Ishta Devata (Favourite form of God to worship)?

• Total voters

SeRe

If it is one of the forms of the main deities below, please specify also in comments.

You can choose more than one option.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't have one. The concept of ishta more or less makes the assumption that they're all the same, which is a Smarta concept, the largely unsuccessful attempt to amalgamate Hinduism under one line of thinking. The idea does exist somewhat in Vaishnavism, where a particular form of Vishnu, like Rama, or Krishna, or Venkateshwara (Vishnu himself) is favored.

In Saivism, it could be a choice between Nataraja, Dakshinamurthy, Sivalingam, Bhairava, all forms of Siva, but that's a stretch from the original concept, as it excludes so many.

I don't worship a favorite God. I worship God, period, and my name for God is Shiva.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Shiva, Parvati, Ganesha, and Murugan.
Last night was my first visit to the local temple in a long time, as they only opened it back up last Friday. You'd like that temple, as it was built as a Saiva temple. You only get Ganesha, Murugan, Siva, Bhairava, and the only separate Parvati (Rajarajeshwari) is in the Vasantha Mandapam. Last night was a Krittika night, sacred for Murugan. Don't get me going about Murugan, lol.

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
Devi is my preferred form of God. I worship her in all her forms, of course, but I do puja to Kali, Lakshmi, Saraswati, and Durga because those are the ones I have puja instructions for, lol.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Vishnu, primarily in His Krishna incarnation.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
While I don't worship, I find myself most inspired by Shiva.

Perhaps a residual connection from a previous incarnation...

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Last night was my first visit to the local temple in a long time, as they only opened it back up last Friday. You'd like that temple, as it was built as a Saiva temple. You only get Ganesha, Murugan, Siva, Bhairava, and the only separate Parvati (Rajarajeshwari) is in the Vasantha Mandapam. Last night was a Krittika night, sacred for Murugan. Don't get me going about Murugan, lol.

That's awesome. Jai Murugan <3

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
ParaShiva is another name for Nirguna Brahman. The Lingam represents formlessness. The Lingam at Chidambaram is made of ether.

Nataraja appears to be the main image in Chidambaram. The article I read mentions a small crystal lingam there. Is this the lingam you're referring to?

I've wanted to purchase a Shiva Lingam for quite some time, but I haven't for a couple of reasons:
  • I've searched primarily on Amazon and in small local shops near me and can't find one that I like.
  • Adding one to my shrine will throw off the symmetry. Nataraja is the centerpiece of my shrine, and if I added a Shiva Lingam, that and Nataraja would have to set on each end.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Nataraja appears to be the main image in Chidambaram. The article I read mentions a small crystal lingam there. Is this the lingam you're referring to?

I've wanted to purchase a Shiva Lingam for quite some time, but I haven't for a couple of reasons:
  • I've searched primarily on Amazon and in small local shops near me and can't find one that I like.
  • Adding one to my shrine will throw off the symmetry. Nataraja is the centerpiece of my shrine, and if I added a Shiva Lingam, that and Nataraja would have to set on each end.
At Chidambaram (I've been there) to Nataraja's left there is what appears to be 'nothing' but is where the ether lingam is installed. It is one of the 5 elemental temples, earth, water, air, fire, and ether ... I forget all of them, but Tiruvanmalai (Arunaleswara temple) is fire, and Sri Kajalasthi I think is earth.

5 elements are also contain in Na Ma Si Va Ya each syllable being one element. On my shrine the lingam is directly in front of and below Nataraja. It's a shared centerpiece, but only Siva. That's the case at the monastery temple, Kadavul. as well. The new temple, Iraivan, is lingam only. Nandi is often also out front with his right eye aligned with Nataraja's right eye.

I think the crystal you're referring to at Chidambaram is likely the red solid ruby Nataraja only brought out for special occasions.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
At Chidambaram (I've been there) to Nataraja's left there is what appears to be 'nothing' but is where the ether lingam is installed. It is one of the 5 elemental temples, earth, water, air, fire, and ether ... I forget all of them, but Tiruvanmalai (Arunaleswara temple) is fire, and Sri Kajalasthi I think is earth.

5 elements are also contain in Na Ma Si Va Ya each syllable being one element. On my shrine the lingam is directly in front of and below Nataraja. It's a shared centerpiece, but only Siva. That's the case at the monastery temple, Kadavul. as well. The new temple, Iraivan, is lingam only. Nandi is often also out front with his right eye aligned with Nataraja's right eye.

I think the crystal you're referring to at Chidambaram is likely the red solid ruby Nataraja only brought out for special occasions.

Is this the shrine to which you are referring?

chidambaram_natarajar.jpg

Unfortunately, unless I select another platform, the depth of my shrine doesn't allow for placing a Lingam in the center with Nataraja. On mine, an carved wooden ॐ rests below and in front of Nataraja (the censer is between them).

upload_2021-6-11_6-31-24.png

Yeah, I know my shrine is simplistic and lacks the pizzaz of most Hindu shrines, but that's the way I like it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Unfortunately, unless I select another platform, the depth of my shrine doesn't allow for placing a Lingam in the center with Nataraja. On mine, an carved wooden ॐ rests below and in front of Nataraja (the censer is between them).

View attachment 51403

Yeah, I know my shrine is simplistic and lacks the pizzaz of most Hindu shrines, but that's the way I like it.

View attachment 51403

The picture might be it, but I'm not sure. It's hard to remember specifics about temples when you're so blissed out when you're there. Where did you get that pic from? (There are no real pictures of that shrines as far as I know, as photography is forbidden there.)

I like your shrine. It really resembles my first shrine. My lingam sits where your Sanskrit Aum is.