• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

who is under ignorance?

DanielR

Embarassing question lol, but is Brahman (Atman) under the spell of ignorance (Avidya, Maya) or is it the Jiva? :)

shivsomashekhar

Embarassing question lol, but is Brahman (Atman) under the spell of ignorance (Avidya, Maya) or is it the Jiva? :)

Who is asking the question...and to whom?

it's the difference between the Bhamati and Vivarana school right??

Bhaamati (Vachaspathi Mishra) says that ignorance is for the Jiva. The Vivarana school says there is only Brahman and therefore, if there is such a thing as avidya, it has to be applied to Brahman as there exists nothing else to apply it to.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Embarrassing question lol, but is Brahman (Atman) under the spell of ignorance (Avidya, Maya) or is it the Jiva? :)
Nothing embarrassing, a rightful question. Yes, 'I' am under the spell of 'maya' (so to say people are. I have seen through the veil), though what constitutes me is wholly Brahman, 100%. When one understands the mystery/chemistry/biology/psychology of 'I', then one can see through and know Brahman, truly knowing him/herself. There is no 'I', it is Brahman only. I think that will put me in the 'Vivarana' school. No, Shiva?

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I see the impersonal in the Brahman. The Supreme Brahman is like the "laws of nature" or "natural" (though larger than nature - it just "is")... thus it isn't a question of Ignorance FOR THE BRAHMAN ITSELF ENTOTAL. BECAUSE the Brahman Does not care - even if ignorance is living inside. The Brahman is not ignorant, it is all of us and things and thus "all knowing".

DanielR

Who is asking the question...and to whom?

Bhaamati (Vachaspathi Mishra) says that ignorance is for the Jiva. The Vivarana school says there is only Brahman and therefore, if there is such a thing as avidya, it has to be applied to Brahman as there exists nothing else to apply it to.

Thanks, I think I align more with the Vivarana school, it kind of makes more sense to me! ;)

Is there a connection between aneka-jiva-vada and eka-jiva-vada with Vivarana and Bamathi in that Vivarana = EkaJiva and Bhamati=AnekaJiva??

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
No, Brahman is not under the spell of ignorance, maya is his production. It is the finite mind that is under ignorance.