• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who is the way, the truth and the life?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
It's almost like saying, "Who's your daddy." Because John wrote down in chapter 14 verse 6 that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, it makes a pretty good case for Christians that they are the only ones right.
But in the Quran 33:40, Islam has "Muhammad... is the messenger of God and the seal of the prophets..."
In the Bhagavad Gita 10:8 Krishna says, "I am the source of all spiritual and material worlds. Everything emanates from Me. The wise who... worship Me with all their hearts." In 12:8 he says, "Just fix your mind upon Me, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and engage all your intelligence in Me. Thus you will live in Me always..."
I found some Buddha quotes at Famous Buddha Quotes: "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him." [FONT=&quot][/FONT]And, [FONT=&quot]"The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart."
What other quotes from other religions point to a "way" or being "the way." Or, point to being the exclusive or the final bearer of "truth?" And then the question becomes, who trumps who? [/FONT]Or, what I hope is the true way, is love the answer and is there common ground between all people and all religions?

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Tao literally means "the Way."
That is awesome. This thread has been sitting here all day. Thank you, thank you for responding. I read the Bood of Tao back in the 70's and followed a Macro-biotic diet for a while. They used the yin/yang symbol constantly in explaining how the right food brings the body into balance. Can it also be used to explain how the different religion act and re-act with and against each other?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
That is awesome. This thread has been sitting here all day. Thank you, thank you for responding. I read the Bood of Tao back in the 70's and followed a Macro-biotic diet for a while. They used the yin/yang symbol constantly in explaining how the right food brings the body into balance. Can it also be used to explain how the different religion act and re-act with and against each other?
...That is a FASCINATING idea. I feel like you just melted my mind there. How should we react to the various religions, then, if we want to maintain balance?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
...That is a FASCINATING idea. I feel like you just melted my mind there. How should we react to the various religions, then, if we want to maintain balance?
Good God! You mentioned the Tao, I thought you knew? There was one guy that talked about rising above the dualistic mode and seeing the oneness in all. I almost get there, especially when I'm in the mountains, but then I go into mind- melt mode. The moment before my head explodes, I see the swirling action and reaction of opposites like atheism vs. Christianity. They do their cosmic dance as if fighting each other, but somehow they are really the flip side of the same coin. Oops! There goes my brain. Thanks for being the only person responding to this thread. Hope you stop by again when your brain solidifies, especially if you think of an answer. Wait, wait, during the cosmic dance the balance is always sought, but it's ever changing. How does that sound? So an over balance of one will give way to its opposite? Whatever, now I am brain fried. Good night see you tomorrow. Or, is it good morning? Where is BGSU?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
All paths lead to the One.
However some paths are longer than others.
The path of Yoga is the highest..

..my opinion.

chinu

chinu
It's almost like saying, "Who's your daddy." Because John wrote down in chapter 14 verse 6 that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, it makes a pretty good case for Christians that they are the only ones right.
But in the Quran 33:40, Islam has "Muhammad... is the messenger of God and the seal of the prophets..."
In the Bhagavad Gita 10:8 Krishna says, "I am the source of all spiritual and material worlds. Everything emanates from Me. The wise who... worship Me with all their hearts." In 12:8 he says, "Just fix your mind upon Me, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and engage all your intelligence in Me. Thus you will live in Me always..."
I found some Buddha quotes at Famous Buddha Quotes: "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him." And, [FONT=&quot]"The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What other quotes from other religions point to a "way" or being "the way." Or, point to being the exclusive or the final bearer of "truth?" And then the question becomes, who trumps who? [/FONT]Or, what I hope is the true way, is love the answer and is there common ground between all people and all religions?
Jesus was the way to truth, for the people of that time,
Krishna was the way to truth, for the people of that time,
Buddha was the way to truth, for the people of that time,
All spiritual masters were the way to truth, for the people of their times,
Who is the way to truth for me ? if it is, it is in this time.

Like.. doctor is way to treatment, for the patient who is laying infront of the doctor, Just now. But.. dead doctor can never treat a patient. :)

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Good God! You mentioned the Tao, I thought you knew?
186332_homer_doh.jpg

I suppose I should rephrase my question... :p

Do you think it is appropriate, for one who recognizes the balance between religions, to participate and devote themselves to one of these religions? For example, say I finish converting to Orthodox Christianity. Would you say that such a commitment is putting me in a state of imbalance by sticking to that one religion? Or would I still be able to maintain religious balance while devoting myself solely to that one religion?

There was one guy that talked about rising above the dualistic mode and seeing the oneness in all. I almost get there, especially when I'm in the mountains, but then I go into mind- melt mode. The moment before my head explodes, I see the swirling action and reaction of opposites like atheism vs. Christianity. They do their cosmic dance as if fighting each other, but somehow they are really the flip side of the same coin. Oops! There goes my brain. Thanks for being the only person responding to this thread. Hope you stop by again when your brain solidifies, especially if you think of an answer.
Hah, yeah, those mind-melting epiphanies are the best :D I need to start having more of those. Makes things more interesting and rewarding.

BTW, I think both the Buddha and Lao Tzi talked about transcending dualism.

Wait, wait, during the cosmic dance the balance is always sought, but it's ever changing. How does that sound?
A person attempting to balance themselves on top of a small-ish and extremely buoyant object in a pool knows how that goes. You worry about leaning forward vs. backward and striking that balance, but once you have that, then you have to focus on balancing left and right, then diagonals, then right back to forward and backward...

So an over balance of one will give way to its opposite? Whatever, now I am brain fried.
Religious philosophy does that to you :D But yeah, trying to counterbalance one thing will lead to an imbalanced amount of the other, or vice-versa. If you go for more light, you'll have less dark. If you go for less dark, you'll have more light. And vice-versa.

Good night see you tomorrow.
Night, been nice talking to you :D

Where is BGSU?
Northwest Ohio. I'm actually at home in Central Ohio ATM, but I'm not bothering to change my profile :p

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Thou art God. Realize that you ARE just a sentient portion of the universe, perceiving itself, and you have found what you seek.

We, all of us, every individual, are the Way, the Truth, and the Life. We need only seek within ourselves, and have the courage to explore our minds through various techniques (some of them taboo).

The universe thinks. It thinks "I am." It is you.

rusra02

Premium Member
I found some Buddha quotes at Famous Buddha Quotes: "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him." [FONT=&quot][/FONT]And, [FONT=&quot]"The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart."
What other quotes from other religions point to a "way" or being "the way." Or, point to being the exclusive or the final bearer of "truth?" And then the question becomes, who trumps who? [/FONT]Or, what I hope is the true way, is love the answer and is there common ground between all people and all religions?

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

There can be only one true religion, or Way to worship the true God, IMO.
None of the gods people worship can prove their god ship, save the one true God,Jehovah. I believe Jesus proved he is the true way of approach to God by his life, his teachings, and the miracles he performed. As to other "ways", the Bible warns: "Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light. It is therefore nothing great if his ministers also keep transforming themselves into ministers of righteousness. But their end shall be according to their works." (2 Corinthians 11:14,15)

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
None of the gods people worship can prove their god ship, save the one true God,Jehovah. I believe Jesus proved he is the true way of approach to God by his life, his teachings, and the miracles he performed. As to other "ways", the Bible warns: "Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light. It is therefore nothing great if his ministers also keep transforming themselves into ministers of righteousness. But their end shall be according to their works." (2 Corinthians 11:14,15)

How has this God of yours, "Jehovah", proven anything?

Seems to me you clutch your doctrine close to heart, and disallow the possibility that you, or the people who taught you to believe what you now do, may be in error. If you accept doctrine as true on faith, nothing has been proven (well, maybe that you are easily swayed by religious authority).

How can you say that Yahweh has proven himself any more than Zeus, Quetzalcoatl, Odin, Lugh, or any of the other "Gods" created by man to give him comfort and purpose (before we found better things for this)?

I could just as easily say that the Three-Horned Space Hamster is the only one who has proven his Godhood, and I'd have just as much proof as you for your Jehovah.

There are as many paths as there are people to trod upon them. No (usually completely rigid) doctrine, ever, can lead to truth; except the doctrine that doctrine is anathema. ;)

You are an architect of reality. Create your own story. Experience the divine not through the teachings of arbitrary authority, but through your own nature as divine (just as a stone, a blade of grass, or a sperm whale is divine).

rusra02

Premium Member
How has this God of yours, "Jehovah", proven anything?

Seems to me you clutch your doctrine close to heart, and disallow the possibility that you, or the people who taught you to believe what you now do, may be in error. If you accept doctrine as true on faith, nothing has been proven (well, maybe that you are easily swayed by religious authority).

How can you say that Yahweh has proven himself any more than Zeus, Quetzalcoatl, Odin, Lugh, or any of the other "Gods" created by man to give him comfort and purpose (before we found better things for this)?

I could just as easily say that the Three-Horned Space Hamster is the only one who has proven his Godhood, and I'd have just as much proof as you for your Jehovah.

There are as many paths as there are people to trod upon them. No (usually completely rigid) doctrine, ever, can lead to truth; except the doctrine that doctrine is anathema. ;)

You are an architect of reality. Create your own story. Experience the divine not through the teachings of arbitrary authority, but through your own nature as divine (just as a stone, a blade of grass, or a sperm whale is divine).
That is a fair question. Jehovah has displayed his Godship throughout history. I believe the historical record in the Bible proves Jehovah's claim to be the only true God. One example of this was his humiliation of all the false gods of Egypt. Another was his defeat of Baal. (Exodus 12:12, 2kings 10:28) There are many more examples of Jehovah's superiority over other gods. In fact Jehovah issues a challenge to all nations to prove their gods are true by accurately foretelling the future. None can do so,save Jehovah, IMO. (Isaiah 43:9-13)

Lintfelmy

You sad person you...

Lintfelmy

Thou art God. Realize that you ARE just a sentient portion of the universe, perceiving itself, and you have found what you seek.

We, all of us, every individual, are the Way, the Truth, and the Life. We need only seek within ourselves, and have the courage to explore our minds through various techniques (some of them taboo).

The universe thinks. It thinks "I am." It is you.

I could not have said it better my self.. right on.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
That is a fair question. Jehovah has displayed his Godship throughout history. I believe the historical record in the Bible proves Jehovah's claim to be the only true God. One example of this was his humiliation of all the false gods of Egypt. Another was his defeat of Baal. (Exodus 12:12, 2kings 10:28) There are many more examples of Jehovah's superiority over other gods. In fact Jehovah issues a challenge to all nations to prove their gods are true by accurately foretelling the future. None can do so,save Jehovah, IMO. (Isaiah 43:9-13)

The Bible is hardly any sort of historical record.

I must have missed the history classes where they told us about Jehovah's wars with other Gods. ;)

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
186332_homer_doh.jpg

I suppose I should rephrase my question... :p

Do you think it is appropriate, for one who recognizes the balance between religions, to participate and devote themselves to one of these religions? For example, say I finish converting to Orthodox Christianity. Would you say that such a commitment is putting me in a state of imbalance by sticking to that one religion? Or would I still be able to maintain religious balance while devoting myself solely to that one religion?
:p
My problem goes back to the early 70's. I "joined" or got "converted" to several different religions. As a young hippie searching for truth, each religion was a new experience. I enjoyed them all, listened to them all, but always kept one foot out the door in case things got weird. I was with New Age people that thought they had reincarnated from Venus and saw alien beings guarding the door into Mt. Shasta where their space ships land. I loved the people, but I ran. After being with the Baha'is for three years, I converted to a Fundamental Christian group. We used to go to Saturday night Christian Rock concerts at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa--Awesome! But I left them too. I get this feeling that all religions have been influenced by the culture of the people around them. Those people were influenced by other cultures and their religions, so it's more like religion is evolving to me. It is not a static thing. Which brings us back to the cosmic dance, as one religion pushes the other pulls. As one religion claims to be better, others try to prove them wrong.
If you enjoy the people and if what they believe makes sense to you, then I'd stay. I was never happier than when I was a believer in something. It's much more fun than the nebulous religion mess I'm in now. But, I can't just believe in any one way.

moegypt

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Mohamed was the guidance to The creator..Christians lost the way when they said Jesus is a God or Son of God, so that Quran was the latest testament.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Islam is the world’s fastest-growing religion by number of conversions each year

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Mohamed was the guidance to The creator..Christians lost the way when they said Jesus is a God or Son of God, so that Quran was the latest testament.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Islam is the world’s fastest-growing religion by number of conversions each year
Christianity might be the main religion that has so many versions (sects, denominations, etc.) that claim an exclusive possession of truth. By its actions Christianity didn't seem like the "truth" when Islam got started. It's unfortunate that both religions have had a history of violence. To move peaceably into the future what must change? If each side believes they have the last word or best word or truest word from God, no one could or should give in (if they truly believe they are correct). But somebody has to be wrong, if taken literally, all religions contradict? Sects within a religion contradict. We can argue about a verse here or a verse there, but are we all missing a bigger picture? I don't know about Islam, but Christianity has verses that say to love your enemy and to turn the other cheek. Maybe the Amish and a few others take those verses seriously, but in the mainstream, radical Christianity would rather preach that all other religions, besides themselves, are false and of the devil.Can we move beyond the more radical and "literal" sides of our religions? Is there a way to bring peace to the different religions and peace between different cultures? Thanks to Link TV and the History Channel, I've learned and realize there is a huge political and economic side of the problem, but is there a way that religions can stop adding to the problem and bring some healing?