• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

who are ...SONS OF GOD... in the bible

i googled to find what i had found and

It is thus clear that the term "sons of God" in the Bible is limited to three categories of beings: angels, Adam and believers. All three are special and specific creations of God. As for the use of the term in Genesis 6, since it cannot possibly refer to Adam nor believers in Christ, we conclude that it has to refer to the angels whom God had created.

you all could google and find the rest probably :)

The bible is a compilation of books chosen by the church, there are other books that could have been included but were not.

One such book is included in the Ethiopian bible but not in the european bible.

The book of Enoch,1 and 2 are a very interesting read and can be obtained for free via the internet.

The book of Enoch calls the "Sons of God" angels who were placed over the earth as "watchers". The watchers came down and taught knowleadge to humans that they were not meant to have.

They went further by intermixing with humans and creating what the bible calls Nephilim. The problem is theoretically that these hybrids cannot be a watcher angel, but they cannot be men either. Each thing has been created to a purpose and been given the ability to accomplish that purpose, the hybrid Nephilim could no longer accomplish either purpose. For example, when you cross a horse and donkey you get a mule, it is a stronger animal than either parent, but is unable to breed, while it is an impressive creature it is unable to survive as a species because of the hybridisation.

According to Genesis, at the time before the flood pretty much everyone was affected by this genetic mixup.

The book of Enoch goes into great detail on the biblical myth of the Watchers and the nephilim.

Hope this may be of some use to you.

Gloone

It is thus clear that the term "sons of God" in the Bible is limited to three categories of beings: angels, Adam and believers. All three are special and specific creations of God. As for the use of the term in Genesis 6, since it cannot possibly refer to Adam nor believers in Christ, we conclude that it has to refer to the angels whom God had created.

I'm not sure about the bible, but in greek and roman mythology, sons of god were usually rulers that had the highest of power over their people. Like Jesus being called a son of god does not mean he is or was the only son of god, because there were many before him. He was just a little different because he was a Jewish Son of God.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And then there is the declaration you make as you pray....

"Our Father......

Whose Father?....your Father?....my Father?....brothers are we?....

And the angels hear you when you say it.
So too the Devil.

4given

The bible is a compilation of books chosen by the church, there are other books that could have been included but were not.

One such book is included in the Ethiopian bible but not in the european bible.

The book of Enoch,1 and 2 are a very interesting read and can be obtained for free via the internet.

The book of Enoch calls the "Sons of God" angels who were placed over the earth as "watchers". The watchers came down and taught knowleadge to humans that they were not meant to have.

They went further by intermixing with humans and creating what the bible calls Nephilim. The problem is theoretically that these hybrids cannot be a watcher angel, but they cannot be men either. Each thing has been created to a purpose and been given the ability to accomplish that purpose, the hybrid Nephilim could no longer accomplish either purpose. For example, when you cross a horse and donkey you get a mule, it is a stronger animal than either parent, but is unable to breed, while it is an impressive creature it is unable to survive as a species because of the hybridisation.

According to Genesis, at the time before the flood pretty much everyone was affected by this genetic mixup.

The book of Enoch goes into great detail on the biblical myth of the Watchers and the nephilim.

Hope this may be of some use to you.

Sorry but I have to disagree.

Angels and humans can not breed together and produce offspring. They are entirely different kind of species. Angels are spiritual beings without sex organs while humans have flesh and bones. You can have billions of years but the macro-evolution of these two "species" - angels and humans - is not going to happen. God will not allow it simply because they even went in to trouble of producing other "species".... after his/their kinds in order for all of us be confined to our own kinds.

The "sons of God" were living creatures (prehistoric mankind) brought forth from the waters, abanduntly ref. Gen. 1:21. They were given almost the same blessing... to be fruitful and multiply... on the 5th day (Gen. 1:22)... similar to the blessings Adam and Eve received on the 6th day. That's where Cain's wife came from to cross breed with human kind.

IMHO based on the Scripture.

Last edited:

jonadab

I'm not sure about the bible, but in greek and roman mythology, sons of god were usually rulers that had the highest of power over their people. Like Jesus being called a son of god does not mean he is or was the only son of god, because there were many before him. He was just a little different because he was a Jewish Son of God.

The fame and dread of the Nephilim, it appears, gave rise to many mythologies of heathen people who, after the confusion of languages at Babel, were scattered throughout the earth. Though the historical forms of the Genesis account were greatly distorted and embellished, there was a remarkable resemblance in these ancient mythologies (those of the Greeks being only one example), in which gods and goddesses mated with humans to produce superhuman heroes and fearful demigods having god-man characteristics.

Sorry but I have to disagree.

Angels and humans can not breed together and produce offspring. They are entirely different kind of species. Angels are spiritual beings without sex organs while humans have flesh and bones. You can have billions of years but the macro-evolution of these two "species" - angels and humans - is not going to happen. God will not allow it simply because they even went in to trouble of producing other "species".... after his/their kinds in order for all of us be confined to our own kinds.

The "sons of God" were living creatures (prehistoric mankind) brought forth from the waters, abanduntly ref. Gen. 1:21. They were given almost the same blessing... to be fruitful and multiply... on the 5th day (Gen. 1:22)... similar to the blessings Adam and Eve received on the 6th day. That's where Cain's wife came from to cross breed with human kind.

We are angels, just at a different stage. They are what we shall be when we step out of our flesh bodies. Angels have mass, eat, sit, walk, talk, etc. They are in spirit bodies...we are in flesh bodies with our spirit body inside.

lswinford

In the genealogy of Jesus found in Luke (3:23-38) the line works backwards to "Adam, son of God." (Matthew starts with Abraham and works forward to Joseph who provided adoptive 'covering' for Jesus and Mary). Adam and Eve were not 'born' as the rest of us and their author and Creator was God himself. In that fashion, they are 'children of God' quite directly.

The concept of 'demigod' is found in many cultures. If someone is superlatively good or powerful or influential, then people may tend to deify that person. The description of giants or sons of God in your context may be those exceptional folk whose fame or notoriety has made them 'larger than life' as we sometimes say today.

My personal mental picture is akin to "4given" listed above, in that the human animal populated the earth and God made a distinct man and woman (Adam and Eve) with that special spirit of His own, that proverbial 'divine spark', that raised humanity from animal to more. Yet, if you add some pocket change you might be able to buy a cup of coffee with it, as the saying goes.

Last edited:

Honibaz

Friggin' A! If this isn't some of the most blatant misreading of the Scriptures I don't know what is.

The word used for man[kind} in Genesis is Adm (we add the letter "a" for phonics in the English ---> Adam)

The word for the created creatures of the ocean in Genesis 1:21 is ath-e·thninm (animals of the ocean). This is closely associated with Genesis 1:25 when the word used was ath-chitch (animals of the land)

The Genesis 6 reference about the "sons of God" has the word bni-e·aleim (or sons of the Elohim/God). They are clearly distinguished from the "daughters of men" who are labeled as e·adm, the female gender of humankind. That's not even close to being the word for animal, or any other mythical prehistoric creature one could conjure up.

Methinks you are trying to merge Darwinian evolution with the Bible. If not, then my bad. But as I read your post I can only assume that you haven't really looked into this passage. God told the ath-e·thninm & ath-chitch to reproduce after their own kind and expressed no anger. However, in Genesis 6 we've got the Lord becoming grieved when the bni-e·aleim mated with the e·adm to produce the e·nphlim (giants).

I'd re-think whoever gave you that information, 4given. Based on what you wrote, Mrs. Cain wouldn't be too happy with your inference that she was a Triton.

Last edited:

RossRonin

SInce "sons of God" (as has been pointed out) can refer to either fleshy offspring or spiritual offspring, why not take Jesus literally when he explained to one group "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning..."

This John 8 reference contrasts with Paul's observation that "they which are of faith, they are the children of Abraham." Is faith inherited? Did Timothy literally inherit his mother's and grandmother's faith, as Paul suggested? Does the seed of an unbelieving husband become sanctified through the believing wife, "lest your children are unclean; but now are they holy"? Are there two distinct spiritual lines of human descendants--one proceeding from Cain (the sons of men, spiritually the sons of Satan), and one proceeding from Seth (the sons of God)?

That's a less outlandish conclusion than the notion that "sons of God" and "daughters of men" in Genesis 6 describe naughty angels in flagrante delicto with easy earth girls. That concept flies in the face of reason if you accept what Jesus and others said about the nature of angels:

1. He makes his angels spirits, his ministers a flame of fire (Psalms 104, Hebrews 1)
2. A spirit has not flesh and bones, as you see I have (the resurrected Jesus, Luke 24)
3. For in the resurrection they [resurrected humans] neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. (Matthew 22)

Everyone imagines that angels have a corporeal dimension, but they apparently do not. A spirit does not have flesh and blood, Jesus stated. This makes angels incapable of sex, which Jesus confirmed when he talked about their celibate state in heaven: they don't marry because they are not made of flesh and blood. No need to procreate! God made plenty of them to begin with, knowing in advance how many he would need to accomplish his purposes.

I suppose fallen angels' innate incapacity to jump in the sack is why they so eagerly inspire sexual misconduct among humans; they can only enjoy it vicariously, and are content just going along for the ride. All that gothic stuff about succubi and incubi is just wishful thinking, in my opinion.

If Abraham sat and ate with angels, that's no proof of anything. We have no verifiable, empirical data with which to intelligently talk about "spirits" at all. Ectoplasm? Who knows, it's all hollow conjecture once we move beyond the revelations of scripture. From a religious standpoint, if we accept the Bible account as true, we can only admit that spirits (though non-corporeal) have been known at times to appear as humans, and at least on one occasion, to enjoy a good meal.

If a spirit has no flesh or bones, I doubt the food Sarah prepared for her celestial visitors traveled very far after it was swallowed.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

It is thus clear that the term "sons of God" in the Bible is limited to three categories of beings: angels, Adam and believers.
Is it? The Gospel has plenty of passages where Jesus declares that people can become "sons of God" by doing good deeds:

Matthew 5:9:
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

Matthew 5:44-45:
"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven;

Luke 6:35:
"But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.

earlwooters

Duh. They were sons of God. Just ask him. And yes the book of Enoch is included in the Ethiopian Orthodox Bible. It always has been. Tells the story of the Sons of God and the Daughters of men.

idea

Question Everything
Jesus is the only begotten... (we do not know how Adam was created, but aparently it was not by being begotten...)

that means the rest of us are adopted...

(New Testament | Romans 8:15)
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

but then I've always believed that getting pregnant does not make you a parent... and that family is not defined by who shares your genes...

I think Gen 6 - "Sons of God" are simply saying "sons of Adam"... you know the OT how all the family lines are traced back.... Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, the son of ....... Adam is the one who gets traced back to God, so instead of going through the entire family line, they just cut to the chase and say "son of God".. but this is interesting to consider who the "sons of men" are in the Gen 6 then... but then we know that Adam was not the only human on the Earth 6,000 years ago ;)... perhaps this is the interminging of a new line of humans with another line of humans... another line - the line that evolved from dinosaurs perhaps? just a thought!

Last edited:

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
I believe it was the children of the God's - like Lord Alcaeus: Heracles, Perseus, Theseus and so on; among numerous heroes of ancient myth that were related to the Gods. After the turn of the Monotheism movement such ideals and myth's were under eradication or reform to the new dogma.

QJchUXo.jpg

In Greek myth Zeus also had Angels - which bread with Man, but I won't paraphrase the myths.

Indeed, there as a time when even the faithful decided, let us "Marry whomever we will", and they took many wives, and the world descended into chaos. God became enraged that there was in fact no faithful men on Earth, and he flooded us. We destroyed ourselves and God cleanses us.

Tumah

Veteran Member
There's another possibility. According to some Jewish commentators it refers to the sons of the judges and leaders. "ELoHIM" is also a term used to refer to judges (eg. Ex. 21:6). So these would be the sons of these leaders that are taking advantage of their parents' position.