• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Are Jehovah’s Witnesses?

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/wp20150901/
We are an international organization unaffiliated with other religious groups. Although our world headquarters is in the United States, the vast majority of Jehovah’s Witnesses live in other countries. In fact, some eight million of us teach people the Bible in over 230 lands. We do so in response to Jesus’ words: “This good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations.”—Matthew 24:14.

Regardless of where we live, we conscientiously obey the law. Yet we endeavor to remain politically neutral. This is because we observe Jesus’ direction for Christians to be “no part of the world.” Thus we do not take part in political issues and activities or support warfare. (John 15:19; 17:16) In fact, during World War II, Jehovah’s Witnesses were imprisoned, tortured, and even worse because they would not compromise their neutrality. A former German bishop wrote: “They can rightfully claim to be the only major conscientious objectors in the Third Reich.

Still, we do not isolate ourselves. Jesus prayed to God regarding his followers: “I do not request that you take them out of the world.” (John 17:15) Therefore, you may see us as we work, shop, and go to school in the local community.

Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that “all Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial.” (2 Timothy 3:16) We use the Bible as a practical guide to learn about the Creator and to live meaningful lives.

The Bible says: “May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth.” (Psalm 83:18) Therefore, we worship only Jehovah God, and as his Witnesses, we endeavor to make known his personal name.—Isaiah 43:10-12.

As Christians, we believe that Jesus, “the Son of God,”* came to earth and became the Messiah. (John 1:34, 41; 4:25, 26) After he died, Jesus was raised to heaven. (1 Corinthians 15:3, 4) Later he became King of God’s Kingdom. (Revelation 11:15) That Kingdom is a real government that will restore Paradise to the earth. (Daniel 2:44) “The meek will possess the earth, and they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace,” says the Bible.—Psalm 37:11, 29.

Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that Bible principles can benefit people even today. (Isaiah 48:17, 18) Therefore, we adhere closely to those principles. For example, because the Bible warns us to avoid practices that pollute our minds and bodies, we do not smoke or misuse drugs. (2 Corinthians 7:1) We also avoid practices specifically condemned in the Bible, such as drunkenness, sexual immorality, and stealing.—1 Corinthians 6:9-11.

Watchtower Magazine, September 2015 | Who Are Jehovah’s Witnesses?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
** Mod Post**

This is a DIR. As per RF rules:

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums/Same Faith Debates/"Only Sections"
The DIR subforums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

If you don't identify as a Jehovah's Witness, please limit posts to respectful questions.

djhwoodwerks

Jesus said he was sent by the one he identified as "the only true God". (John 17:3) So yes, the son of God came to be born as a human to offer his life in exchange for Adam's children.

I agree that "Jesus" Himself was sent to earth, to be born of a woman. JW's don't believe "Jesus" Himself was sent to earth do they? I thought they believe that Michael was sent to earth and then was named Jesus when He was born?

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Do you believe the second coming of Jesus occurred in 1914, as foretold?

We believe that what took place, unseen to human eyes in 1914 is what is recorded in Daniel 7:13, 14.

“I kept watching in the visions of the night, and look! with the clouds of the heavens, someone like a son of man was coming; and he gained access to the Ancient of Days, and they brought him up close before that One. 14 And to him there were given rulership, honor, and a kingdom, that the peoples, nations, and language groups should all serve him. His rulership is an everlasting rulership that will not pass away, and his kingdom will not be destroyed."

When Jesus spoke about his return in Matt 24:3-14, he gave a "sign" to indicate his "parousia" had begun (parousia means "presence", not "coming".) During the time of his presence as king, there was much to take place in fulfilment of the sign, and work to do in preaching the "good news of the kingdom in all the inhabited earth as a witness to all the nations" before the foretold "end" would come. The first part of the sign was unprecedented war...."nation against nation, kingdom against kingdom". In 1914 "The Great War" began a period in history that has known no real peace. Food shortages and great earthquakes were also foretold. An increase in lawlessness would follow and love would all but disappear from the hearts of man. But this just signalled the beginning of "pangs of distress".

If we have not taken note of the fulfilment of the sign, indicating Christ's presence, then we will not be prepared for his "manifestation", when "every eye will see him". (Luke 21:25-31; Matt 25:31-33; 2 Thess 1:6-9)

1914 was the beginning of the "time of the end" when a 'cleansing and refining' of God's people would take place and an abundance of knowledge would become available. (Dan 12:4, 9, 10) As these "last days" draw to a close, we have seen all the features of the sign take place, (2 Tim 3:1-5) It only leaves the final appearance of Jesus Christ as king and judge to separate mankind into the only two categories that exist at this time.

Regardless of what we have chosen to believe or disbelieve, Christ's judgment will be fair because all will have had opportunity to take in the knowledge that God has made available to all during is period. Those who accepted the 'cleansing and refining' are granted 'insight' that others do not have. So we expect that at this juncture, there will be one group who stand out as different to all the rest....those who are obediently "doing the will of the Father" as one united brotherhood of Christ's disciples in all the earth, who are actively engaging in the work assigned to them.

Jesus told us to expect the same kind of response as Noah did in his day. (Matt 24:36-39) :(

Skwim

Veteran Member
We believe that what took place, unseen to human eyes in 1914 is what is recorded in Daniel 7:13, 14.

“I kept watching in the visions of the night, and look! with the clouds of the heavens, someone like a son of man was coming; and he gained access to the Ancient of Days, and they brought him up close before that One. 14 And to him there were given rulership, honor, and a kingdom, that the peoples, nations, and language groups should all serve him. His rulership is an everlasting rulership that will not pass away, and his kingdom will not be destroyed."

When Jesus spoke about his return in Matt 24:3-14, he gave a "sign" to indicate his "parousia" had begun (parousia means "presence", not "coming".) During the time of his presence as king, there was much to take place in fulfilment of the sign, and work to do in preaching the "good news of the kingdom in all the inhabited earth as a witness to all the nations" before the foretold "end" would come. The first part of the sign was unprecedented war...."nation against nation, kingdom against kingdom". In 1914 "The Great War" began a period in history that has known no real peace. Food shortages and great earthquakes were also foretold. An increase in lawlessness would follow and love would all but disappear from the hearts of man. But this just signalled the beginning of "pangs of distress".
But didn't JW writings say that the end of 1914 wouldn't be the beginning of trouble, but the end of them?

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
I agree that "Jesus" Himself was sent to earth, to be born of a woman. JW's don't believe "Jesus" Himself was sent to earth do they? I thought they believe that Michael was sent to earth and then was named Jesus when He was born?

The man who was born as a human was named Jesus, as per God's instruction. Before his human birth, he was not named Jesus.
We accept that the archangel Michael was the pre-human Jesus. We believe that he is "the great Prince" that will stand up in behalf of Jehovah's people in during the great tribulation. (Dan 12:1; Matt 24:21) In Isaiah 9:6, 7, this promised son was prophesied to be a "Wonderful Counsellor"... a "Mighty God" (not Almighty)....and a "Prince of Peace". He is also responsible for being an "Eternal Father" (life-giver) and he certainly filled all of those descriptions.

Because we do not believe that Jesus was God incarnate, we have no difficulty assessing from scripture that Jesus was an angelic creature before his human mission. He was also called the "Word (Logos or spokesman). He spoke in God's behalf.

He is also called "the firstborn (monogenes) of all creation" in Col 1:15, 16, the one used by the Father in the creation of everything. (Gen 1:27; Prov 8:22, 30).....and in the Revelation he is called "the beginning of the creation by God". (Rev 3:14) Since he never once claimed to BE God Almighty, we allow the scriptures to tell us who he was. He only ever identified himself as "the son of God".

Since God had been let down by both his angelic and human children in their abuse of the free will he gave them, He sent his most trusted servant to do what had to be done to make sure that his purpose in connection with his material creation was carried out.

Jesus was then given a "new name" on his return to heaven. It is noteworthy that the Father has one name that he was to be know by "forever" (Ex 3:15).....but the son has been known by various names and titles, both before his mission on earth and after. In Rev 3:12 Jesus confirms that Jehovah is still his God even in heaven. So unless you believe that God can have a God, this leaves Jesus as a created (thought superior) being who is subservient to his father and who directs all worship to his God.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
But didn't JW writings say that the end of 1914 wouldn't be the beginning of trouble, but the end of them?

The Bible Students (as JW's were known at first) were in the very early part of the 'cleansing and refining' of their worship, as foretold by Daniel. Many things were being revealed but all of the details were not then known. The "abundance" of knowledge was leading them towards the truth, but not all at once.

They had expectations about 1914 that were not correct, but God showed them how much work there was still to be accomplished. We have continued without letup, declaring the "good news" for over 100 years now.

Worlds events are indicating that things are going pear shaped in the economic world and who knows where this will lead? I just feel sorry for those who live in Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal or Ireland at present...they are staring down the barrel of economic collapse. Getting kicked out of the EEU for defaulting on their loans will spell disaster for them.

Batten down the hatches...we are in for a bumpy ride. :( This will lead to difficulties for everyone.
Beware of the knight in shining armour, promising to fix this global disaster.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
This is a DIR...UNLESS YOU ARE ONE OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES, this forum is for respectful questions NOT DEBATES.

Please refer to the moderators post above.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
I'm confused. You said, Jesus said "HE" was sent by the one He identified as "the only true God." When it was actually Michael that was sent and not Jesus.

Then you say before He was born, He was not named Jesus. So it was Michael that was sent, not Jesus.

If Jesus didn't exist before He was born, then this quote is actually about Michael, right? Through Michael, God created everything else. Michael is the "first born of all creation" not Jesus.

There is no confusion when you consider that the archangel Michael and the human who became Jesus Christ are one and the same personage, just in different bodies and in different roles under different names. When Jesus returned to heaven he was given another "new name". Names are not just handles but mean something in connection with their position and authority.

Revelation 3:12...."He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will not go out from it anymore; and I will write on him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God, and My new name."

It is still "Jesus" but we don't know what his "new name" means at this time.

The name Michael means "Who is Like God?" Who else but God's son is "like God"?

The Word (Logos) Michael, Jesus, Son of God....all belong to one entity.

JFish123

There is no confusion when you consider that the archangel Michael and the human who became Jesus Christ are one and the same personage, just in different bodies and in different roles under different names. When Jesus returned to heaven he was given another "new name". Names are not just handles but mean something in connection with their position and authority.

Revelation 3:12...."He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will not go out from it anymore; and I will write on him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God, and My new name."

It is still "Jesus" but we don't know what his "new name" means at this time.

The name Michael means "Who is Like God?" Who else but God's son is "like God"?

The Word (Logos) Michael, Jesus, Son of God....all belong to one entity.
JW's have to add that Jesus is Michael as where in the bible does it say that again? (Being respectful and asking questions is permissible I heard)
Just because Jesus comes with an arc angels call doesn't make Him an angel as having Gods trumpet by the same logic in that verse would make Him God. The bible Never states He's Michael in the slightest.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
JW's have to add that Jesus is Michael as where in the bible does it say that again? (Being respectful and asking questions is permissible I heard)
Just because Jesus comes with an arc angels call doesn't make Him an angel as having Gods trumpet by the same logic in that verse would make Him God. The bible Never states He's Michael in the slightest.

Since we do not believe that Jesus is God and it is not a doctrine of our faith, we are free to believe that an archangel will use his own voice. Why would the Lord Jesus use the voice of a lesser being when calling his own to heaven?

We haven't added anything. The belief that Jesus is God was added long before any of us were born. This belief was not part of Christian doctrine for over 300 years after Jesus died.

When Jesus was baptised, whose voice was heard approving of his son? Don't you think "God" can use his own voice when he needs to?

Last edited:

djhwoodwerks

When Jesus returned to heaven he was given another "new name".

So the evidence indicates that the Son of God was known as Michael before he came to earth and is known also by that name since his return to heaven where he resides as the glorified spirit Son of God. (Reasoning from the Scriptures page 218)

I hope this post isn't considered a debate, that is not my intentions. You said in your response to my post, there is no confusion about Michael and Jesus. Reading part of your response, it is even more confusing. You said, "when Jesus returned to heaven He received another new name." According to "Reasoning from the Scriptures", Jesus was again known as Michael when He returned to heaven. You say He received a different/another new name, but the book JW's reference from, says He received the same name Michael when He returned to heaven. This is confusing to me.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
So the evidence indicates that the Son of God was known as Michael before he came to earth and is known also by that name since his return to heaven where he resides as the glorified spirit Son of God. (Reasoning from the Scriptures page 218)

I hope this post isn't considered a debate, that is not my intentions. You said in your response to my post, there is no confusion about Michael and Jesus. Reading part of your response, it is even more confusing. You said, "when Jesus returned to heaven He received another new name."

No, the scriptures said that...not me. (Rev 3:14)

According to "Reasoning from the Scriptures", Jesus was again known as Michael when He returned to heaven. You say He received a different/another new name, but the book JW's reference from, says He received the same name Michael when He returned to heaven. This is confusing to me.

What you fail to understand is that Jesus can carry more than one title or name at a time. Names were not labels, but identified a spiritual aspect of the nature of the one bearing it. Jesus has several roles. The Father does not.

Michael: (Miʹcha·el) means "Who Is Like God?"

Logos: (meaning “Word”) is a title given to Jesus Christ.
Any message from the Creator, such as one uttered through a prophet, is also “the word of God.”

Jesus: (Ye·shuʹaʽ or Yehoh·shuʹaʽ) means “Jehovah Is Salvation”

Messiah: From the Hebrew root verb ma·shachʹ, meaning “smear,” and so “anoint.” (Ex 29:2, 7) Messiah (ma·shiʹach) means “anointed” or “anointed one.” The Greek equivalent is Khri·stosʹ, or Christ.—Mt 2:4, ftn.

Lord: The Greek and Hebrew words rendered “lord” (or such related terms as “sir,” “owner,” “master”) are used with reference to Jehovah God (Eze 3:11), Jesus Christ (Mt 7:21), one of the elders seen by John in vision (Re 7:13, 14), angels (Ge 19:1, 2; Da 12:8), men (1Sa 25:24; Ac 16:16, 19, 30), and false deities (1Co 8:5). Often the designation “lord” denotes one who has ownership or authority and power over persons or things. (Ge 24:9; 42:30; 45:8, 9; 1Ki 16:24; Lu 19:33;Ac 25:26; Eph 6:5) This title was applied by Sarah to her husband (Ge 18:12), by children to their fathers (Ge 31:35; Mt 21:28, 29), and by a younger brother to his older brother (Ge 32:5, 6). It appears as a title of respect addressed to prominent persons, public officials, prophets, and kings. (Ge 23:6; 42:10; Nu 11:28; 2Sa 1:10; 2Ki 8:10-12; Mt 27:63) When used in addressing strangers, “lord,” or “sir,” served as a title of courtesy.—Joh 12:21; 20:15; Ac 16:30.

Whatever role Jesus is found in, the name (or title) he bears is a reflection of that role. It isn't like we in the English speaking world having only one name for all of our lives. Most of the time the meaning of our names is of little consequence.....it isn't like that in the Hebrew Scriptures.

Yahweh is the only one in the scriptures who has a name that never changes. (Ex 3:15) He has various titles, like his son, but he never changes his name.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Yes. That is what the early bible students thought would happen.

They didnt take into account Matt 24:8 All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress.

djhwoodwerks

WOW! This sounds a lot like the trinity Christendom believes in! God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one and the same personage, just in different bodies, having different roles and under different names. That is amazing to say the least.