• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

White supremacists are riling up thousands on social media

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
White supremacists are riling up thousands on social media | AP News

WASHINGTON (AP) — The social media posts are of a distinct type. They hint darkly that the CIA or the FBI are behind mass shootings. They traffic in racist, sexist and homophobic tropes. They revel in the prospect of a “white boy summer.”

White nationalists and supremacists, on accounts often run by young men, are building thriving, macho communities across social media platforms like Instagram, Telegram and TikTok, evading detection with coded hashtags and innuendo.

Their snarky memes and trendy videos are riling up thousands of followers on divisive issues including abortion, guns, immigration and LGBTQ rights. The Department of Homeland Security warned Tuesday that such skewed framing of the subjects could drive extremists to violently attack public places across the U.S. in the coming months.

These type of threats and racist ideology have become so commonplace on social media that it’s nearly impossible for law enforcement to separate internet ramblings from dangerous, potentially violent people, Michael German, who infiltrated white supremacy groups as an FBI agent, told the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday.

It is believed that more intensive scrutiny of their online presence could be helpful in ferreting them out and preventing future attacks.

“It seems intuitive that effective social media monitoring might provide clues to help law enforcement prevent attacks,” German said. “After all, the white supremacist attackers in Buffalo, Pittsburgh and El Paso all gained access to materials online and expressed their hateful, violent intentions on social media.”

But there are many more false alarms which could make it more problematic. By using subtle language and code words, it makes it more difficult to detect.

But, he continued, “so many false alarms drown out threats.”

DHS and the FBI are also working with state and local agencies to raise awareness about the increased threat around the U.S. in the coming months.

The heightened concern comes just weeks after a white 18-year-old entered a supermarket in Buffalo, New York, with the goal of killing as many Black patrons as possible. He gunned down 10.

That shooter claims to have been introduced to neo-Nazi websites and a livestream of the 2019 Christchurch, New Zealand, mosque shootings on the anonymous, online messaging board 4Chan. In 2018, the white man who gunned down 11 at a Pittsburgh synagogue shared his antisemitic rants on Gab, a site that attracts extremists. The year before, a 21-year-old white man who killed 23 people at a Walmart in the largely Hispanic city of El Paso, Texas, shared his anti-immigrant hate on the messaging board 8Chan.

References to hate-filled ideologies are more elusive across mainstream platforms like Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and Telegram. To avoid detection from artificial intelligence-powered moderation, users don’t use obvious terms like “white genocide” or “white power” in conversation.

They signal their beliefs in other ways: a Christian cross emoji in their profile or words like “anglo” or “pilled,” a term embraced by far-right chatrooms, in usernames. Most recently, some of these accounts have borrowed the pop song “White Boy Summer” to cheer on the leaked Supreme Court draft opinion on Roe v. Wade, according to an analysis by Zignal Labs, a social media intelligence firm.

"White Boy Summer"?

Facebook and Instagram owner Meta banned praise and support for white nationalist and separatists movements in 2019 on company platforms, but the social media shift to subtlety makes it difficult to moderate the posts. Meta says it has more than 350 experts, with backgrounds from national security to radicalization research, dedicated to ridding the site of such hateful speech.

“We know these groups are determined to find new ways to try to evade our policies, and that’s why we invest in people and technology and work with outside experts to constantly update and improve our enforcement efforts,” David Tessler, the head of dangerous organizations and individuals policy for Meta, said in a statement.

A closer look reveals hundreds of posts steeped in sexist, antisemitic, racist and homophobic content.

U.S. extremists are mimicking the social media strategy used by the Islamic State group, which turned to subtle language and images across Telegram, Facebook and YouTube a decade ago to evade the industry-wide crackdown of the terrorist group’s online presence, said Mia Bloom, a communications professor at Georgia State University.

“They’re trying to recruit,” said Bloom, who has researched social media use for both Islamic State terrorists and far-right extremists. “We’re starting to see some of the same patterns with ISIS and the far-right. The coded speech, the ways to evade AI. The groups were appealing to a younger and younger crowd.”

Law enforcement agencies are already monitoring an active threat from a young Arizona man who says on his Telegram accounts that he is “leading the war” against retail giant Target for its Pride Month merchandise and children’s clothing line and has promised to “hunt LGBT supporters” at the stores. In videos posted to his Telegram and YouTube accounts, sometimes filmed at Target stores, he encourages others to go to the stores as well.

Target said in a statement that it is working with local and national law enforcement agencies who are investigating the videos.

As society becomes more accepting of LGBTQ rights, the issue may be especially triggering for young men who have held traditional beliefs around relationships and marriage, Bloom said.

“That might explain the vulnerability to radical belief systems: A lot of the beliefs that they grew up with, that they held rather firmly, are being shaken,” she said. “That’s where it becomes an opportunity for these groups: They’re lashing out and they’re picking on things that are very different.”

I wonder if the effects of the pandemic have had a role to some degree, since a lot of kids have had to attend school online, instead of having in person classes where they would have direct contact and socialization with others.

And what about this online monitoring by AI? They seem to find ways around that by using subtle language and code words. Meta says it employs over 350 experts "with backgrounds from national security to radicalization research, dedicated to ridding the site of such hateful speech."

There's also the practice of infiltration, as one of the people quoted in the article was a former infiltrator. That's helped to some degree, as some violent acts have been thwarted by informants before they even happened (such as the plan to kidnap the governor of Michigan a while back).

What are effective means of combating this?

Daemon Sophic

Although many warm and happy thoughts of ICBM missiles landing on KKK rallies, or similar events, do occur to me….the most likely significant threat, without the use of homicidal eradication of these non-sentient hosers, would be a narc.

People who recognize and possibly infiltrate these organizations and then report them to the FBI are our best line of defense. Just like any other crime/terrorism zealot group.

Semmelweis Reflex

Antivaxxer

Stop the madness. White supremacy is just a politicization. If an enemy needs to be invented, manipulated, controlled, silenced, it's easy enough. We are responsible for that. Nothing else. Not the spying big tech or out of control federal agencies, corrupt politicians, lying legacy media, racism, sexism, or misinformation and we all know that. We know that these things are bogus scapegoats and used by greedy ignorant people to divide us and what is it? Entertaining? Exciting? Like a burning city being looted and pillaged?

We need to stop the madness. Not by hiding it, or squashing it, or distorting it. We need to get off our lazy, stupid asses and stop this. Investigate it, find out what it really is and how it's being used, manipulated and corrupted. And stop it or fix it. Instead of imagining white supremacists coming out of the woodwork where there are none or listening to all the noise like there really must be a monster in the closet and under the bed or are you just using that to try and scare everyone into thinking there is just so you can argue and debate and contend with your sociopolitical ideology and stupid petty politics.

It's a dragon. We don't need to tame the dragon and we don't need to fight the dragon. We need to starve the dragon. And stop playing with it.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Lol, "white boy summer" is a joke started by Chet Hanks, Tom Hanks' son. It has nothing to do with "white supremacy". The FBI, DHS and so on are acting like the Gestapo and carrying out a witch-hunt of the current regime's political enemies. That much is obvious, and it's nothing new as the FBI has been used by various administrations to harass and persecute political enemies since the '50s or '60s when they were going after MLK and other CivIl Rights activists. But what's also unnerving is how stupid they are. They are constantly misinterpreting what is essentially troll culture and memes, and fear-monger about what are essentially Internet trolls. They are obviously clueless.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Lol, "white boy summer" is a joke started by Chet Hanks, Tom Hanks' son. It has nothing to do with "white supremacy". The FBI, DHS and so on are acting like the Gestapo and carrying out a witch-hunt of the current regime's political enemies. That much is obvious, and it's nothing new as the FBI has been used by various administrations to harass and persecute political enemies since the '50s or '60s when they were going after MLK and other CivIl Rights activists. But what's also unnerving is how stupid they are. They are constantly misinterpreting what is essentially troll culture and memes, and fear-monger about what are essentially Internet trolls. They are obviously clueless.
:facepalm:

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
That is a point of view I'll consider along with the others. They have historically always made a big deal out of various non issues. There was they time they were so afraid that the Soviets would use LDS to create sleeper agents that they began experimenting on citizens with LSD. They sprayed our own soldiers with agent orange. They made up stories about weed. They sold weapons behind our backs. They toppled governments etc. No, I suppose we cannot take their word for what they say is happening.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That is a point of view I'll consider along with the others. They have historically always made a big deal out of various non issues. There was they time they were so afraid that the Soviets would use LDS to create sleeper agents that they began experimenting on citizens with LSD. They sprayed our own soldiers with agent orange. They made up stories about weed. They sold weapons behind our backs. They toppled governments etc. No, I suppose we cannot take their word for what they say is happening.

True.

But even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I'd rather take them at their word and keep my head on a swivel, as opposed to being complacent. We did just have 31 white supremacists arrested in Idaho for attempting to riot.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The DHS has also stated recently that it is our #1 threat here in the States.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah I’ve seen such folks online with my own eyes. Some are indeed just trolls. Others are legit serious about it.
Whilst I agree that we shouldn’t always panic about such things, we can’t allow actual white supremacists to use memes like this as a shield. And they absolutely do. I’ve heard them espouse their bigotry when they think the cameras are off

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Except white supremacists and extremists have been on the rise for awhile, even before Biden. They've always been there, they never went away, amd they got a president who empowered them. I still remember a poster here who posted a picture of what "Trump's America"wpuld be, and it showed a picture of a white family with a daughter who "is not dating a black man" and a son who "isn't transgender."

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yeah I’ve seen such folks online with my own eyes. Some are indeed just trolls. Others are legit serious about it.
Whilst I agree that we shouldn’t always panic about such things, we can’t allow actual white supremacists to use memes like this as a shield. And they absolutely do. I’ve heard them espouse their bigotry when they think the cameras are off

Bingo

74x12

Clueless? Or ... are they taking things out context on purpose in order to stoke up fear and division for political reasons?

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Sad how such laziness and non-answers earn you "winner" frubals. :rolleyes:
There are none of my answers that could satisfy you. I do have a question: Is the arrest and prosecution of those who invaded the Capital one of the persecutions you mentioned?I did offer an opinion(answer) before you offered your opinion, I believe . I won't make any comments about your personal traits, refrain from calling me lazy. It's a discussion about supremacist, not about you or me.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
Except white supremacists and extremists have been on the rise for awhile, even before Biden. They've always been there, they never went away, amd they got a president who empowered them. I still remember a poster here who posted a picture of what "Trump's America"wpuld be, and it showed a picture of a white family with a daughter who "is not dating a black man" and a son who "isn't transgender."
White supremacists are a curious thing. They do exist. That is true. Part of it is leftover beliefs from the times of Jim Crow. The old folks actually did believe in that stuff...a lot of them. People don't choose to be evil. We slide into it.

There are also people who believe whites and blacks shouldn't intermarry but that we are all the same. I'd still consider that racism. I haven't investigated why people believe that, but its likely one of those Shem, Ham, Japheth arguments.

True.

But even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I'd rather take them at their word and keep my head on a swivel, as opposed to being complacent. We did just have 31 white supremacists arrested in Idaho for attempting to riot.
Same here. If they knew of a riot riot plan then stopping it was a good idea. I take them at their word, and besides the accused people will get due process in court.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
White supremacists are riling up thousands on social media | AP News

It is believed that more intensive scrutiny of their online presence could be helpful in ferreting them out and preventing future attacks.

But there are many more false alarms which could make it more problematic. By using subtle language and code words, it makes it more difficult to detect.

"White Boy Summer"?

I wonder if the effects of the pandemic have had a role to some degree, since a lot of kids have had to attend school online, instead of having in person classes where they would have direct contact and socialization with others.

And what about this online monitoring by AI? They seem to find ways around that by using subtle language and code words. Meta says it employs over 350 experts "with backgrounds from national security to radicalization research, dedicated to ridding the site of such hateful speech."

There's also the practice of infiltration, as one of the people quoted in the article was a former infiltrator. That's helped to some degree, as some violent acts have been thwarted by informants before they even happened (such as the plan to kidnap the governor of Michigan a while back).

I dont think this trend towards thought crime enforcement is the way to go.