• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which religion should I try?

Bob Dixon

>implying
I second what Odion said; give the Belief-O-Matic - Beliefnet.com a try. It's not perfect, but it can help to narrow it down a bit.

And I don't about Buddhism, but Judaism fits most of what you've posted. As do others.

Check out the DIR's. There's a lot of information available here.

Actually, sabbie, I'm seconding this.
Judaism seems like the perfect fit!
Some forms of Hinduism could suit you, too. You might like Sikhism.

Buddhism is excluded because of point 1.
Islam is excluded because of point 2.

Bob Dixon

>implying
Sikhism is a pretty nice religion... I just can't get over its martial feel though.

I do like Sikhism, ever since Odion told me to read Guru Granth Sahib.
It's the most Abrahamic-friendly of the Dharmic religions, I think. And I do like that book.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Try all of them even those that do not conform to you set of believs never know what you might learn from them or about your self

I do like Sikhism, ever since Odion told me to read Guru Granth Sahib.
It's the most Abrahamic-friendly of the Dharmic religions, I think. And I do like that book.

Yeah, the Guru Granth Sahib is a really nice Scripture... it just happens for me that I dislike the Khalsa symbol, the idea of keeping a dagger, the hair (Waheguru HE!! The Hair!! XD), and the fact that Punjabi, let alone old Punjabi, sounds like a drunk Indian man (no offense to any Punjabi speakers here, lol).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There is a different approach that has worked for some. Don't consider it a choice. Consider it more along the lines of gender or sexual orientation. Nobody chooses that. It just is.
Read a bit yes, but at the same time watch for signs of God (in whichever of many various manifestations or concepts may be out there) finding you.

I did not choose my faith. I just was my faith. Then certain signs pointed me. it's a different mental approach altogether. Instead of looking, watch who's looking for you. Here's a link that goes into far greater detail than most others ... complete with checklists. http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/hbh/hbh_ch-6.html

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I'm looking for a religion that best fits my beliefs as I really want a religion to belong to. Hopefully someone can help me find some religion :shrug:

1. I believe that there is a god. I believe this god can intervene in human life, but doesn't except for extreme cases.
2. I don't believe in Jesus as a prophet or messiah.
3. I don't believe in any kind of idols.
4. Any kind of religious hierarchy like priests are more of teachers and not any closer to god than a devout follower.
5. I'm undecided on evolution vs. creationism.
6. I believe in some kind of after-life. What it is I'm not really sure. I don't think you have to be a certain religion to go either. Religion is more a way to improve oneself and the lives of others.

Personally you sound more closer to Buddhism to me....but you have to find your own way in life. We can't really tell you what you should be. My way, I know for sure, is not for you....but it is always your decision to be who you are.

Trey of Diamonds

I'm looking for a religion that best fits my beliefs as I really want a religion to belong to. Hopefully someone can help me find some religion

From what you said, maybe transcendentalism? I hate to say "go to my church" but if you are looking to explore multiple religious beliefs, you can find a lot of them in a Unitarian Universalist congregation. Even if you don't become a UU, it might can point you in the right direction. Hope that helps.

loverOfTruth

I'm looking for a religion that best fits my beliefs as I really want a religion to belong to. Hopefully someone can help me find some religion :shrug:

1. I believe that there is a god. I believe this god can intervene in human life, but doesn't except for extreme cases.
4. Any kind of religious hierarchy like priests are more of teachers and not any closer to god than a devout follower.
6. I believe in some kind of after-life. What it is I'm not really sure. I don't think you have to be a certain religion to go either. Religion is more a way to improve oneself and the lives of others.

Hi there,
From the points you listed, your viewpoints seem very close to Islam except #2. But that could be due to your understanding of Jesus(pbuh). Jesus(pbuh) is quite different in Islam compared to Christianity. You can read about that here : The Simple Message of GOD: Jesus (PBUH) in Islam and Christianity

I would also ask you to read the basics of Islam here :
The Simple Message of GOD: A Catholic's Request: Dispelling the lies about Islam

I would be more than happy to answer any question you have. Peace and good luck in this journey of yours.

garrydons

Hi! sabbie, allow me to share my personal view on religion. Worldwide it is a known fact that there are already a lot of religions and everybody claims to be true one. Perhaps it is safe to say that what you are looking for is a true or right religion. Another thing is, religion has its own doctrines whether we conform to it or not. So, fundamental beliefs of a certain religion is not our personal choice. I would not recommend any religion to you because it is my belief that if a person is really SINCERE IN SEEKING THE TRUTH, HE DEFINITELY FIND THE RIGHT RELIGION. Just imagine there are already thousands of religions worldwide. So which one should we choose. In the Bible, I dont know whether you believe it or not but it is stated there that "seek and you shall find, ask and it shall be given unto you". This is where I based my belief. Somehow, I have peace of mind and have a clearer view of life. I know where I came from, why I am here, and where I am going. And know how to live with my fellowmen. I apply the golden rule which happened to coincide with the Bible. Thank you for spending time on reading my comment.

fschmidt

Old Testament Reactionary

The religion that meets all of your requirements is Karaite Judaism.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend sabbie,

Which religion should I try?
If you are still around, take this test at:
Belief-O-Matic - Beliefnet.com
You will know what is best for you!

Love & rgds

Jassa

Yeah, the Guru Granth Sahib is a really nice Scripture... it just happens for me that I dislike the Khalsa symbol, the idea of keeping a dagger, the hair (Waheguru HE!! The Hair!! XD), and the fact that Punjabi, let alone old Punjabi, sounds like a drunk Indian man (no offense to any Punjabi speakers here, lol).

By Khalsa symbol, I think you are referring to the Khanda, which is a symbolism of many underlying meanings, thus you need to look past regarding it as a mere show of weapons.

The Kirpan is fundamental in reminding a Sikh of their duty in standing for justice and the weak who are unable to defend themselves. Don't forget, hundred of thousands of Sikhs have died fighting for freedom of religion for all. Sikhs defended the Hindus, Jains, and Buddhists who were being oppressed and forcefully converted to Islam by the Moguls.

As for maintaining unshorn hair that is a bold statement, embracing the way God created and intended us to be. They consider it a gift from God, and do not impede on the way God naturally created us, therefore living in accordance with nature.

starlite

Texasgirl
I'm looking for a religion that best fits my beliefs as I really want a religion to belong to.

For me, it was a matter of searching for how God wanted to be worshiped and which religion did that. I stopped trying to find one that was adapted to my belief system.

Joelb3783

A passive one :p
A lot of them are nice, but if you aren't into the whole "Going to hell" or collection box thing. You would like Buddhism.

You should totally try mine. It's a build-your-own.

Alternatively, you could probably be Jewish. They have some hierarchy but the rabbi are basically viewed as teachers, they're heavily against idols, unless you're Messianic Jewish you won't run into Jesus as a Messiah, and their stance on afterlife is much less firmly developed than Christianity.