• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which OPs are better, short ones or long ones?

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Let me confess, many times, I choose to respond to some OPs without reading them in full :blush:

Some other times, I decide not to respond to an OP because I find it long, and I just can’t get the main point without reading it in full, which I can’t afford!

So what do you think is better, having long Ops, or short ones?

Or do you suggest a new way that will have the advantages of both the short and the long posts?!

I know that this may ae applicable to all the posts, but let us concentrate on OPs, as they are more important normally, if I am not wrong.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
When an OP gets to what I think is too long especially if it's not formatted well, I'm gone.

Only in very limited circumstances will I pay attention. And those are when someone makes a personal disclosure as part of asking for advice or feedback.

But if they appear to be preaching even if it's not at the rule violation level, I lose interest very very quickly.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Let me confess, many times, I choose to respond to some OPs without reading them in full :blush:

Some other times, I decide not to respond to an OP because I find it long, and I just can’t get the main point without reading it in full, which I can’t afford!

Or do you suggest a new way that will have the advantages of both the short and the long posts?!

I know that this may ae applicable to all the posts, but let us concentrate on OPs, as they are more important normally, if I am not wrong.

If it's a long post, I'm not interested.

I prefer sound logic packed tight. Lengthy posts typically reflect an author who just likes writing for the sake of writing.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Depends.

Walls of paste and copy text I'm not interested in at the least as well as incoherent and inarticulate walls of text of which I don't have the foggiest idea what that person's trying to convey.

Like others have mentioned, it all depends on the subject and if it's interesting to that person or not.

Heyo

Veteran Member

It depends. (As always.) Do you want to discuss a (complex) topic with interested people whos attention span is longer than a commercial clip?
Go for a slightly longer OP that explains all the basics (but only the basics, in a forum there is room for questions and answers).
If you want broader participation, make it even shorter.
If you are really lazy and don't care about participation, link to a clip or website and ask "What do you think?"

exchemist

Veteran Member

An OP has to be long enough to convey the writer’s point for discussion, concisely. Typically one or two short paras.

Erebus

As others have mentioned, the most important thing is that I'm interested in the topic. I can handle a somewhat rambling OP if the conversation it intends to start is promising. If the topic is about scripture (something I personally find utterly dull) then it really doesn't matter how concise the OP is.

That said, there are a few things I think are generally worth keeping in mind when making a thread:

1. Know what it is you want to discuss. Sounds obvious but I've seen a lot of threads that read more like somebody's blog.

2. Break up your text. Paragraphs and spaces are a lot easier on the eyes.

3. If possible, convey what you want to discuss in a few paragraphs. It's fine to have a lot of text if you need to add further context. The aim of the thread should be as concise as you can get it though.

4. DON'T WRITE ENTIRELY IN CAPITAL LETTERS WITH LOADS OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!! IT MAKES YOU LOOK WEIRD!!!!!!!

exchemist

Veteran Member
As others have mentioned, the most important thing is that I'm interested in the topic. I can handle a somewhat rambling OP if the conversation it intends to start is promising. If the topic is about scripture (something I personally find utterly dull) then it really doesn't matter how concise the OP is.

That said, there are a few things I think are generally worth keeping in mind when making a thread:

1. Know what it is you want to discuss. Sounds obvious but I've seen a lot of threads that read more like somebody's blog.

2. Break up your text. Paragraphs and spaces are a lot easier on the eyes.

3. If possible, convey what you want to discuss in a few paragraphs. It's fine to have a lot of text if you need to add further context. The aim of the thread should be as concise as you can get it though.

4. DON'T WRITE ENTIRELY IN CAPITAL LETTERS WITH LOADS OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!! IT MAKES YOU LOOK WEIRD!!!!!!!
......and don’t, for the love of God, post a link to a YouTube video in place of making your point in words, yourself!:rolleyes:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Let me confess, many times, I choose to respond
to some OPs without reading them in full :blush:
Some other times, I decide not to respond to an OP
because I find it long, and I just can’t get the main
point without reading it in full, which I can’t afford!

So what do you think is better, having long Ops,
or short ones?
Or do you suggest a new way that will have the
advantages of both the short and the long posts?!

I know that this may are applicable to all the posts,
but let us concentrate on OPs, as they are more
important normally, if I am not wrong.
Shorter = Better
I didn't even read all of your post.....TLTR.

Tip....
Shorter lines = Easier to read
Neither too many nor too few paragraphs.
Note how I fixed up your quoted post.
Post layout should be attractive....it inspires
so many people angrily respond to mine.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I like short ones. I can't keep track of all the points in a long one. Unless I know the conversation is serious and won't be cut short, I'll take the extra time and read everything. It takes a while but I only do that with two people on RF. That's about it.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Shorter = Better

Tip....

The short lines part is Patent-Worthy Idea :cool:
I rarely give attention to this line length rule :rolleyes:

Audie

Veteran Member

short.

Audie

Veteran Member
Shorter = Better

Tip....

It is not your style and content, it is you personally.

Jedster

I prefer concise & precise.