• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Is Correct

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Those who are familiar with Hinduism, kindly discuss and consolidate if the word HINDUISM is correct or the word SANATANA DHARMA be used?
Hinduism as we know was coined after Alexander used the term for people living beyond the river SINDHU which became HINDUS.
The word Hinduism is also understood as another RELIGION or another PATh / WAY which is not so as all WAYS / PATHs / RELIGION comes under this rather what ever may be the WAY / PATh any human uses to samadhi / nirvana is covered here.
Originally believe that it was calledthe SANATANA DHARMA and so should we not revert back to using that word instead of Hinduism?
To be revived as a modern day solution for all humans globally this one has the potential to get every human under ONE roof to have the understanding that all humans are just another race of BEINGS to lead humans to another stage of evolution.
Looking forward to responses from all like minded friends here.
Love & rgds

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Friends,
Those who are familiar with Hinduism, kindly discuss and consolidate if the word HINDUISM is correct or the word SANATANA DHARMA be used?
Hinduism as we know was coined after Alexander used the term for people living beyond the river SINDHU which became HINDUS.
The word Hinduism is also understood as another RELIGION or another PATh / WAY which is not so as all WAYS / PATHs / RELIGION comes under this rather what ever may be the WAY / PATh any human uses to samadhi / nirvana is covered here.
Originally believe that it was calledthe SANATANA DHARMA and so should we not revert back to using that word instead of Hinduism?
To be revived as a modern day solution for all humans globally this one has the potential to get every human under ONE roof to have the understanding that all humans are just another race of BEINGS to lead humans to another stage of evolution.
Looking forward to responses from all like minded friends here.
Love & rgds
Sounds reasonable, given this snippet from the Mighty Wiki:
Wikipedia said:
Hinduism is a religious tradition[1] that originated in the Indian subcontinent. Hinduism is often referred to as Sanātana Dharma (सनातन धर्म) by its practitioners, a Sanskrit phrase meaning "the eternal law"[2] or "eternal way".[3]
I think, that perhaps I will use this term more. When I meet with puzzled looks, I will just say, "Hinduism, you know!"

zenzero

Its only a Label
YmirGF,
Its surprising that you are the first to respond.
In another sense it had to be.
However; what I meant was that the word Hinduism has been used since Alexander and even after one knows its connotation it is still used by the very own practitioners of the WAY?
When the practitioners themselves use the word how can we expect those who do not know anything about this dharma to understand that it is not a religion but an eternal LAW.
This eternal law is broader than Lao Tsu's TAO and needs everyone to know and understand about it in the proper perspective so that it benefits mankind in a WAY it was & Is meant to be.
Waiting for all my practitioner frineds to respond.
Love & rgds

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not find anything wrong in the name 'hinduism'. 'Dharma' keeps on changing according to times. Only Brahman is Sanatan.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Aupmanyav,
The word is perceived wrongly. it is perceived as another fixed or a single method like other religions or ways to reach god. Others are aclosed end method i.e. their paths have been fixed, well defined. If you a follower of Christ you follow the 10 commandments. Buddhists the 8 fold path etc. Sanatana means ETERNAl, never ending and because of that others have flowered under it like Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism etc. Sanatana Dharma is where many many buddhas have contributed and any WAY / PATH falls under it.
Most who have no idea of Sanatana Dharma when hears the word Hinduism they perceive it with image worshipping, cow worshipping etc. The floodgates needs to be opened and the barrier hear is the word itself which again was coined by an westerner Alexander and not too long ago.
The onus of bring any Change does not lie with imaginary Brahma but with live brahmans like you and me.
Love & rgds

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Sanathan Dharma is how we should live...a way of life. Sanathan Dharma, the Eternal Truth, the Eternal Religion. Hinduism is just a term used to describe people who follow Sanathan Dharma.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Hema,
People who follow are called HINDUS.
Thats exactly that needs to be changed to be perceived in a way that followers too are of something which is eternal and that it is an open ended system where every human being is taken into consideration as part and parcel of that system and so viewd by all humans.
Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend DP,
Exactly when your mind pereives things as petty and no petty; then suggest that same mind to use the word Sanatna Dharma instead of Hinduism?
Since its a petty matter, should not be any problem for your mind to understand and follow.
Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Willemena,
Actually there is NOTHING-off topic.
Eventually EVERYTHING falls in place.
Rgds your comment to our friend DON [ He hold his MIND very prciously and would mind if you do not call him DON] and Growth happens only when we drop the mind and be a no-mind.
Love & rgds

krishnano

Well, we Hare Krishnas do understand the problem with Hinduism, because of the diversity of 'Hinduism' and this modern entity.

We do not ascribe to 'Hinduism' as it is modernly suggested, primarily because it is largely a mixture of the traditional sampradayic teachings and Advaita Vedanta. Hinduism also carries along being Indian, worshipping cows, etc. I've gotten the whole "You're HINDU? But you don't look Indian..." since I am a Filipino, Chinese-looking person who practices modern Gaudiya Vaishnavism in the context of ISKCON.

We much prefer the label "Vaishnava" since it distinguishes us philosophically from Shankarites, Shaktas, Shaivas and these modern, 'liberal Hindus' as Sadguru Subramuniyaswami, a Western propogator and first American guru of Shaivic lineage, said. We all come under Vedic teaching and follow 'Sanaatana Dharma,' but I think that even that is too vague.

In Gaudiya Vaishnava, ISKCON-ic idea of Sanaatana Dharma, it refers to every single living being upon this Earth and otherwise, because it is the "Eternal Religion, Duty." And the original duty of every soul is to be a servant of Lord Krishna, or God, eternally. We were servants of God before our material incarnations, we strive to serve the Lord whilst being on Earth, and in the Afterlife in Goloka, we eternally serve the Supreme Lord forever. Thus, every soul, which is constitutionally positioned to be a servant of God, is in effect a Vaishnava (follower of God, Vishnu, Krishna). They just don't remember. ;) This, to us, is Sanatana Dharma, and it transcends earthly religion, race, culture, sex, sexual orientation, age, nationality, disability, etc. any nominal, material designation you can think of.

Thus, we embrace Sanatana Dharma because it includes all peoples, not just 'Hindus.' God, after all, is not Hindu, Jew, Muslim, Christian, Baha'i, Cao Daiist, etc. and every spirit soul is a servant of God - this is the original, true religion that the Vedic literatures have touted for years.

Or, as one has said, he calls himself Hindu, until becomes a division from other religions.