• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Church makes the best Bible movies?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hi......

Do you think Jesus looked European?

I think that Mel Gibson made the best film so far..... The Passion

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Do you know what religion he is?

Not a clue. Mel got a bad press some time after making this film. He could be a heathen r anything, bt he did make a good film.

It caused lots of controversy. Some Jewish communities felt scandalised, etc.
But the actual film is just brilliant. I watched it last week, since Easter was looming. I find it quite dreadful, in the sense that so many scenes are so inhumane. But....... approaching the reality, I reckon.

Have you seen it? It is worth watching.

Flat Earth Kyle

Not a clue. Mel got a bad press some time after making this film. He could be a heathen r anything, bt he did make a good film.

But the actual film is just brilliant. I watched it last week, since Easter was looming. I find it quite dreadful, in the sense that so many scenes are so inhumane. But....... approaching the reality, I reckon.

I definitely tip my hat to Mel for it. I am also really anxious to see this Bible thing on the History channel and how it turns out.

I also say it is interesting to pay attention to the atmosphere and feeling one gets when watching the Passion of the Christ and compare that with
Finding Faith in Christ here.
[youtube]49CMaFK3C0k[/youtube]
LDS Video: Finding Faith in Christ - YouTube

Flat Earth Kyle

There are actually quite a few very white Arabs, and Jews out there, just look it up online. To assume that all Arabs and Jews were as brown as the Iraqis I feel would be a big mistake.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The Mormons makes some really nice videos, I've seen some of them. But when it comes to motion picture types, I really like Jesus of Nazareth and I don't even know which denomination made that one. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
For crying out loud, Yaddoe, do you ever stop with the "anything your church can do, the LDS Church can do better" kind of questions?

Flat Earth Kyle

For crying out loud, Yaddoe, do you ever stop with the "anything your church can do, the LDS Church can do better" kind of questions?

It is hard not to stop, I guess I have a lot of pride towards the church. :D
Plus I really do enjoy hearing and seeing other churches music, artwork, and videos. It is fun to share.

Flat Earth Kyle

Oh boy, has anyone seen the History Channels The Bible? I am watching it right now, it has some nice video quality and cool special effects, but a ton of BIG inaccuracies!
-How the fire was built and a bunch of details surrounding the event when Shadraq Meshack and Abendigo all getting thrown into the the firey furnace.
-Herod spitting in the faces of the wise men and sending them on their way.
-John the Baptist baptizing angrily. (Not that the Bible said he didn't baptize angrily, but it didn't say he did either.) It is just since when was a religious saving ordinance done in anger?

I do like the actor they chose to play the role of Christ though, I feel like he did a great job in portraying Christ as the loving savior that he is.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Hey, he gives everyone else an opportunity to show off the beauty of their churches as well, so I'm not complaining :D Besides, these topics have a lot nicer and calmer discussion, so it's all good in my book.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Oh boy, has anyone seen the History Channels The Bible? I am watching it right now, it has some nice video quality and cool special effects, but a ton of BIG inaccuracies!
-How the fire was built and a bunch of details surrounding the event when Shadraq Meshack and Abendigo all getting thrown into the the firey furnace.
-Herod spitting in the faces of the wise men and sending them on their way.
-John the Baptist baptizing angrily. (Not that the Bible said he didn't baptize angrily, but it didn't say he did either.) It is just since when was a religious saving ordinance done in anger?

I do like the actor they chose to play the role of Christ though, I feel like he did a great job in portraying Christ as the loving savior that he is.
I heard they also butchered the part on how John the Baptist was killed.

Flat Earth Kyle

I heard they also butchered the part on how John the Baptist was killed.

Yeah they butchered quite a few things. Producers just never seem to want to stick with exactly how it was in the book. It definitely makes you want to go through and re-read everything in the Bible to get the most accurate story though.

I don't imagine it will be the last Bible movie ever made, hopefully the next one that comes out will be better.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I think it would be more simple to create one thread which claims that the LDS make the best art, music, film, and literature.

I finally got to see it a couple of months ago, and I was generally disappointed. His depiction of King Herod was outrageous. King Herod is responsible for remarkable feats, including extensive renovations of the Temple in Jerusalem. His outstanding engineering and architectural feats are still scattered in the modern Israeli landscape. Instead Gibson chose to depict him as an incompetent individual with transvestite tendencies.
I found Gibson's Apocalypto to be a much more realistic and intense movie. Much sharper than the melodramatic The Passion of the Christ.

There are actually quite a few very white Arabs, and Jews out there, just look it up online. To assume that all Arabs and Jews were as brown as the Iraqis I feel would be a big mistake.
While a great part of my family are 'white Jews', I find your comment above to be anachronistic. Your allusion to 'brown Iraqis' is also curious, but most importantly perhaps is that the development of Ashkenazi Jewry (European Jewry) gained its full historical momentum after the times of Jesus. In those days Jews were still an essentially Near Eastern people. And while it still doesn't mean that they were overly dark people, the average Near Eastern Jew or Arab is olive skinned, and in any case doesn't really answer the Aryan ideal. So while there are fair Jews and Arabs, it's not really historical to portray Jesus with European features. It is solely a matter of cultural aesthetics rather than historical accuracy.

Flat Earth Kyle

I think it would be more simple to create one thread which claims that the LDS make the best art, music, film, and literature.

I finally got to see it a couple of months ago, and I was generally disappointed. His depiction of King Herod was outrageous. King Herod is responsible for remarkable feats, including extensive renovations of the Temple in Jerusalem. His outstanding engineering and architectural feats are still scattered in the modern Israeli landscape. Instead Gibson chose to depict him as an incompetent individual with transvestite tendencies.
I found Gibson's Apocalypto to be a much more realistic and intense movie. Much sharper than the melodramatic The Passion of the Christ.

While a great part of my family are 'white Jews', I find your comment above to be anachronistic. Your allusion to 'brown Iraqis' is also curious, but most importantly perhaps is that the development of Ashkenazi Jewry (European Jewry) gained its full historical momentum after the times of Jesus. In those days Jews were still an essentially Near Eastern people. And while it still doesn't mean that they were overly dark people, the average Near Eastern Jew or Arab is olive skinned, and in any case doesn't really answer the Aryan ideal. So while there are fair Jews and Arabs, it's not really historical to portray Jesus with European features. It is solely a matter of cultural aesthetics rather than historical accuracy.

I chose to have 3 seperate threads so I could focus on the three different topics. On one thread I wanted to be listening to specifically music of different faiths that they felt compteted, on another thread I wanted to see artwork of different faiths that they felt competed, and on another thread I wanted to be talking about specifically movies.

I suppose there are quite a few white I Iraqis also...
So your argument is that back then the Jewish race was more pure and so that meant they were more olive skinned... I dunno it is hard to say exactly what race Jacob, Israel was. Plus all of his sons married all these different women and so it is hard to say what race each of them were, then there is all the times they were scattered and gathered again, it makes it very difficult to say what the original race was. It is kind of one of those holes in the Bible, what color of skin did Adam and Eve have? Was Adam black and Eve white, vice versa, were they both black, were they both white? Does it matter? Moses didn't seem to think so when he wrote Genesis otherwise he would have included it, either that or he just didn't know, or he did know and included the information, but those details were edited out by wicked scribes.

Do you have to be white in order to be an American? Of course not.

Last edited by a moderator: