• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Choice Best Describes Your Faith (or lack thereof)?

What is your faith (or lack thereof)?

• Christianity

Votes: 183 20.2%
  • Judaism

Votes: 28 3.1%
  • Islam

Votes: 66 7.3%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 47 5.2%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 51 5.6%
  • Baha'i

Votes: 23 2.5%
  • Spiritism

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Jainism

Votes: 4 0.4%
  • Unitarian Universalism

Votes: 33 3.6%
  • Wiccan/Pagan/Druid

Votes: 65 7.2%
  • Taoism

Votes: 10 1.1%
  • Native American

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Scientology

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Satanism/Luciferianism

Votes: 33 3.6%
  • Atheism/Agnosticism/Secular/Humanism

Votes: 184 20.3%
  • Non-Denominational Theism

Votes: 25 2.8%
  • Nihilism

Votes: 10 1.1%
  • Other - Please Explain

Votes: 139 15.4%

• Total voters

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I am a Philosophical Theist. I do believe in a Higher Power, I do believe in a hereafter, I do believe in prayer and meditation to a certain point, but I believe fully without doctrine. Which means I believe in a personal God but not Religion. I do not subscribe to any Religion, although I was raised in the Baha'i Faith.

Did you like being in a Baha'i household?

Did you like being in a Baha'i household?

Yes. I consider it to be one of the most innocent, open, beautiful religions in the world. I'll always be a apart of it through my ancestry, my Native American ancestry as well. I will say some of the restrictions were pretty bad though... p.s I hope I answered your question!

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Yes. I consider it to be one of the most innocent, open, beautiful religions in the world. I'll always be a apart of it through my ancestry, my Native American ancestry as well. I will say some of the restrictions were pretty bad though... p.s I hope I answered your question!

Yes, thanks!

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Okay, for now, back to being a liberal Christian, but trying to add some Baha'i and Buddhist flavor into it. I still love Zoroastrianism, but my husband won't let me have a fire temple.

Aimsd

I found there is a strong power which always with us to tell what is wrong or right,and we going for doing something wrong these powers help and teach how to overcome from these.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
I looked for a way I could choose Hinduism + Buddhism + Wicca + Nihilism...Hinduism comes the closest.

It's not that I am actually a Hindu...but in the whole scheme of things, if you had to pigeonhole me somewhere...there will do.

Enai de a lukal

What is your faith (or lack thereof)?

Mods, maybe if you'd be so kind, we could sticky this thread for a while. You know...so it's not meaningless.

I object to atheism being group together with agnosticism. Given that theism involves truth-claims which entail worldy evidence, agnosticism is not typically a coherent option.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
Changed again, but not really. :D

I've always, in a way, considered myself a Unitarian Universalist, and I've been going to a UU church for over three years. I suppose I never really left, even when I was considering other faiths and religions.

Maybe one day I'll find a single belief system which fits me, but until then, I'll be a content, pluralistic UU. :)

BlandOatmeal

The survey results group as follows, broken down by history of the movements:

Christian: 20.9%

• Christianity 158 20.9%
Christian offshoots: 17.2%

• Scientology 1 0.1%
  • Stanism/Luciferianism 29 3.8%
  • Wiccan/Pagan/Druid 51 6.7%
  • Spiritism 1 0.1%
  • Unitarian Universalism 27 3.6%
  • Non-Denominational Theism 21 2.8%
Christian denial: 21.8%

• Nihilism 9 1.2%
  • Atheism/Agnosticism/Secular/Humanism 156 20.6%
Other Abrahamic: 13.1%

• Judaism 25 3.3%
  • Islam 53 7.0%
  • Baha'i 21 2.8%
Eastern: 12.2%

• Buddhism 39 5.2%
  • Hinduism 42 5.6%
  • Jainism 3 0.4%
  • Taoism 8 1.1%
Unclassified: 14.9%

• Native American 1 0.1%
  • Other 112 14.8%

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The survey results group as follows, broken down by history of the movements:

Christian: 20.9%

• Christianity 158 20.9%
Christian offshoots: 17.2%

• Scientology 1 0.1%
  • Stanism/Luciferianism 29 3.8%
  • Wiccan/Pagan/Druid 51 6.7%
  • Spiritism 1 0.1%
  • Unitarian Universalism 27 3.6%
  • Non-Denominational Theism 21 2.8%
Christian denial: 21.8%

• Nihilism 9 1.2%
  • Atheism/Agnosticism/Secular/Humanism 156 20.6%
Other Abrahamic: 13.1%

• Judaism 25 3.3%
  • Islam 53 7.0%
  • Baha'i 21 2.8%
Eastern: 12.2%

• Buddhism 39 5.2%
  • Hinduism 42 5.6%
  • Jainism 3 0.4%
  • Taoism 8 1.1%
Unclassified: 14.9%

• Native American 1 0.1%
  • Other 112 14.8%

How is Paganism an offshoot of Christianity? You might be able to make a claim of Christian influence for more New Age syncretic types, but not so much for Reconstructionists and others.

Same for Scientology. What's that have to do with Christianity?

BlandOatmeal

How is Paganism an offshoot of Christianity? You might be able to make a claim of Christian influence for more New Age syncretic types, but not so much for Reconstructionists and others.

Same for Scientology. What's that have to do with Christianity?
Every religion has multiple origins. Islam, for instance, arose out of a Pagan Arab clan; but it was strongly influenced by Judaism and Christianity. The vast majority of Pagans, or, more properly, "Neopagans", are of Christian background. The most influenctial of this diverse group are the Wiccans, who can trace their origins as a cult to Gerald Gardner (below):

Gerald_Gardner%2C_Witch.jpg

Gardner was influenced by the Rosicrucians and other groups; but his family background was Christian.
Gardnerian Wicca, or Gardnerian Witchcraft, is a tradition in the neopagan religion of Wicca, whose members can trace initiatory descent from Gerald Gardner. The tradition is itself named after Gardner (1884–1964), a British civil servant and scholar of magic. The term "Gardnerian" was probably coined by the founder of Cochranian Witchcraft, Robert Cochrane in the 1950s or 60s, who himself left that tradition to found his own...

-- https://www.google.com/search?q=Gar...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
Other Wiccan leaders, such as Cochrane, were also mostly of Christian backgrounds. Most Wiccans claim a thread of tradition to ancient Pagan religions, but there is little connection between the two. Baptists also claim a tradition back to John the Baptist, as a comparison; but that doesn't make them Jewish.

Concerning Scientology, this was founded by Lafayette Ronald Hubbard, a distant relative of mine. His background was thoroughly Christian, and he attended Christian churches throughout his youth. He was a great storyteller, like his grandfather; and many to this day take his stories to be true.

abramwat.jpg

Lafayette Waterbury, L. Ron Hubbard's grandfather

Last edited:

Enai de a lukal

Concerning Scientology, this was founded by Lafayette Ronald Hubbard, a distant relative of mine. His background was thoroughly Christian, and he attended Christian churches throughout his youth. He was a great storyteller, like his grandfather; and many to this day take his stories to be true.

[/CENTER]
I still don't understand how scientologists are not more suspicious of the fact that their "prophet" or founder was a science fiction writer prior to "revealing" a religious doctrine that sounds an awful lot like a science fiction novel... But that's just me.

BlandOatmeal

I still don't understand how scientologists are not more suspicious of the fact that their "prophet" or founder was a science fiction writer prior to "revealing" a religious doctrine that sounds an awful lot like a science fiction novel... But that's just me.
Maybe we could deal with that on "comparative religions" or something. For the sake of this thread, I thought it would be helpful to categorize the "faith"s of the inputters here, in such a way that we could summon up some sort of image. As the poll was designed, it looked as though we all somehow came from different planets, with no connection to one another. The way I grouped things, maybe we can see more connectiveness.

Happy Thanksgivvukah :D