• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which camp do you fall in?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Do you think that what you see and what science tells you and will be able to tell you in the future is all there is or do you think there's things that exist that only intuition and wisdom can only reveal? I'm definitely in the latter. I know there's stuff out there that science will never explain, like the mystery of existence.
It depends on the question being asked.

For example......
"intuition" would inform you that the flow of time is a constant, everywhere for everyone at all times.
But the evidence of reality informs us that it's connected to speed and gravity relative to an observer.

"intuition" would inform you that objects can't show up "here" while you measure them "there". But sub-atomic particles do exactly that.

when it comes to external reality, it seems "intuition" is a very unreliable way to discern reality.

vulcanlogician

Empirical analysis is when we define these terms in reference to something real.
In reference to something "physical." Or maybe we could say a "genuine phenomenon." I mean, I get it. Physical things are there in a way that we can't really deny their being there. But certain invisible realities exist. Laws of nature for example. Do Newton's laws of motion count as physical things? And what exactly ARE laws of nature? Are they forces in their own right? Are they "realities" that compel the universe to behave in a certain way? OR are they simply things that have never been (and possibly will never be) observed to be otherwise. I don't know if it is even possible to settle this issue one way or the other, but I know one thing: the laws of nature are real. Whatever they are, they exist and every physical thing is (apparently) beholden to them.

I hope I'm explaining myself well here. The same reasons I have for being a moral anti-realist make me a mathematical anti-realist, and I think that comes down to how I approach logic as a whole. Nonetheless, I do think that logic can grant us knowledge about many things that are not real.

You are explaining yourself perfectly well. And I agree that the issue of mathematical realism vs. fictionalism is a natural place to take this debate. I find the debate on the subject fascinating. We have Plato's ideas that "numbers are just as real as physical things." Great idea, I think. But, I see why people have issues with it. Mathematical fictionalism is one of those ideas that is just "out there"... seems very implausible. But fictionalism has yet to be refuted and probably never will be.

@Polymath257 argues for a "middle theory" between these two. And I forget exactly how it goes. But I find it to be a highly practical and plausible theory. I used to know the theory and what its merits and objections were, but it's been a while since I've thought about it. But when I was thinking a lot about philosophy of mathematics I was stuck between Platonism and Polymath's favorite theory. Fictionalism, while intriguing, just seems too implausible on account of math describing things so accurately. Even incredibly useful fictions usually aren't THAT useful.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
In reference to something "physical." Or maybe we could say a "genuine phenomenon." I mean, I get it. Physical things are there in a way that we can't really deny their being there. But certain invisible realities exist. Laws of nature for example. Do Newton's laws of motion count as physical things? And what exactly ARE laws of nature? Are they forces in their own right? Are they "realities" that compel the universe to behave in a certain way? OR are they simply things that have never been (and possibly will never be) observed to be otherwise. I don't know if it is even possible to settle this issue one way or the other, but I know one thing: the laws of nature are real. Whatever they are, they exist and every physical thing is (apparently) beholden to them.

You are explaining yourself perfectly well. And I agree that the issue of mathematical realism vs. fictionalism is a natural place to take this debate. I find the debate on the subject fascinating. We have Plato's ideas that "numbers are just as real as physical things." Great idea, I think. But, I see why people have issues with it. Mathematical fictionalism is one of those ideas that is just "out there"... seems very implausible. But fictionalism has yet to be refuted and probably never will be.

@Polymath257 argues for a "middle theory" between these two. And I forget exactly how it goes. But I find it to be a highly practical and plausible theory. I used to know the theory and what its merits and objections were, but it's been a while since I've thought about it. But when I was thinking a lot about philosophy of mathematics I was stuck between Platonism and Polymath's favorite theory. Fictionalism, while intriguing, just seems too implausible on account of math describing things so accurately. Even incredibly useful fictions usually aren't THAT useful.

Language in general is useful for describing reality, not just formalized mathematical language. I don't think that makes words "real." At least not as real as physical objects.

I also disagree that the laws of physics are real. They're models we created regarding real things. There's a chance that we could falsify some of the laws in the future.

I think treating these abstraction as real in-and-of themselves commits the fallacy of mistaking the map for the territory, personally. Then again, I think this partially comes down to the semantic issue of what I'm willing to call "real." Even if we were to demonstrate that math is "real" in some formal sense of the term, I will continue to refer to it as if it were more of a useful fiction that we defined into existence with language, because as far as I'm concerned that's what it is.

I don't think it's surprising that such a rigid and self-coherent system of language is so effective at describing and predicting reality. That's kind of what we designed it for.

Heyo

Veteran Member
We have Plato's ideas that "numbers are just as real as physical things." Great idea, I think. But, I see why people have issues with it. Mathematical fictionalism is one of those ideas that is just "out there"... seems very implausible. But fictionalism has yet to be refuted and probably never will be.
Great idea but wrong. Imo.
Plato thought about mathematical entities like numbers and forms as "ideals". I agree with him. (5 Planes of Existence) But after differentiating between real and ideal things, he just puts them together in one box (real things), non-the-less.
I would agree that numbers are objectively existing, i.e. mathematics is discovered, not invented. (You may call that mathematical realism, I don't.) If I have understood @Polymath257 correctly, he doesn't think of maths as objectively existing but as construct, i.e. maths is invented, not discovered.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Doesn't math have to be internally self consistent and reflect true and false accurately to be of use? That seems to me that math is discovered.

And as I understand language it's the meanings that have reality, and the words just symbolize those meanings. Those meanings are not fictions.

idea

Question Everything
It depends on the question being asked.

For example......
"intuition" would inform you that the flow of time is a constant, everywhere for everyone at all times.
But the evidence of reality informs us that it's connected to speed and gravity relative to an observer.

"intuition" would inform you that objects can't show up "here" while you measure them "there". But sub-atomic particles do exactly that.

when it comes to external reality, it seems "intuition" is a very unreliable way to discern reality.

I agree, intuition is quite often wrong.

My own intuition has been wrong on many occasions - what direction to take, what person to trust, what person to blame.

so many innocent people wrongly accused, and guilty which go free from incorrect biased "intuition"

I agree, subjective opinions/experiences - intangible, non-material entities exist, for such there seems to be no quantitative experimental tool.

Last edited: