• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which camp do you fall in?

King Phenomenon

Do you think that what you see and what science tells you and will be able to tell you in the future is all there is or do you think there's things that exist that only intuition and wisdom can only reveal? I'm definitely in the latter. I know there's stuff out there that science will never explain, like the mystery of existence.

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Kind of neither... I think that there is a TON of stuff that science cannot currently explain. But I think over time most of what science cannot now explain will become explainable.

BTW, I think intuition is actually one way that wisdom and expertise can express themselves.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Do you think that what you see and what science tells you and will be able to tell you in the future is all there is or do you think there's things that exist that only intuition and wisdom can reveal? I'm definitely in the latter. I know there's stuff out there that science will never explain, like the mystery of existence.
Science doesn't tell me which herbs and spices to add to my stew, although it does tell what will happen when I add certain herbs and spices. Science has its place.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Does it tell you it will be tasty? Haha
It can. Science can study any qualitative thing about the senses in a quantitative manner.

I personally think that it cannot and does not explore a senses' qualitative essence.

vulcanlogician

Science is simply the methodology of discovering how and why. If someone exists, it has a how and why, and thus there's a science behind it.
Nothing is outside the realm of science, only our current understanding of it.

I agree that science is a "methodology of discovering how and why."

But it is a purely empirical method. (ie. it deals with what can be sensed or detected with instruments). If there were some fact (any fact... even a completely mundane one) that could not be verified through observation, science could never answer those questions.

I'm not trying to justify gods or ectoplasm here. But there are certain matters of fact and truth that don't have an empirical basis. Mathematics is a fine example. And (although it can be incredibly unreliable and dissatisfying) philosophy asks important questions that aren't necessarily empirical questions. I think science is better than philosophy in most regards. It can actually settle issues once and for all... which philosophy kinda struggles with.

But it's too narrow of a view to say that "nothing is outside the realm of science."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you think that what you see and what science tells you and will be able to tell you in the future is all there is or do you think there's things that exist that only intuition and wisdom can only reveal? I'm definitely in the latter. I know there's stuff out there that science will never explain, like the mystery of existence.
My intuition has reached a useful stage after
having made so many edifying mistakes.
But I'm not done...I make new mistakes now.

Intuition doesn't yield The Truth. It simply
guides me in a direction that's ripe for
objective investigation.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think there's things that exist that only God knows about. Science will never discover these, since they are not on this earth. I believe there are other worlds besides this world but only God knows is aware of them. We can only read about them in scriptures.

“Verily I say, the creation of God embraceth worlds besides this world, and creatures apart from these creatures. In each of these worlds He hath ordained things which none can search except Himself, the All-Searching, the All-Wise.” Gleanings, pp. 152-153

“As to thy question concerning the worlds of God. Know thou of a truth that the worlds of God are countless in their number, and infinite in their range. None can reckon or comprehend them except God, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.” Gleanings, pp. 151-152

King Phenomenon

Mat
I agree that science is a "methodology of discovering how and why."

But it is a purely empirical method. (ie. it deals with what can be sensed or detected with instruments). If there were some fact (any fact... even a completely mundane one) that could not be verified through observation, science could never answer those questions.

I'm not trying to justify gods or ectoplasm here. But there are certain matters of fact and truth that don't have an empirical basis. Mathematics is a fine example. And (although it can be incredibly unreliable and dissatisfying) philosophy asks important questions that aren't necessarily empirical questions. I think science is better than philosophy in most regards. It can actually settle issues once and for all... which philosophy kinda struggles with.

But it's too narrow of a view to say that "nothing is outside the realm of science."
Math doesn't need an instrument? What about a pencil or someone's mouth? Haha

King Phenomenon

I think there's things that exist that only God knows about. Science will never discover these, since they are not on this earth. I believe there are other worlds besides this world but only God knows is aware of them. We can only read about them in scriptures.

“Verily I say, the creation of God embraceth worlds besides this world, and creatures apart from these creatures. In each of these worlds He hath ordained things which none can search except Himself, the All-Searching, the All-Wise.” Gleanings, pp. 152-153

“As to thy question concerning the worlds of God. Know thou of a truth that the worlds of God are countless in their number, and infinite in their range. None can reckon or comprehend them except God, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.” Gleanings, pp. 151-152
Worlds of god? I think that what is meant here is the destruction and rebirth of only one world. This one. I mean hey if you wanna believe in Spock go for it

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Worlds of god? I think that what is meant here is the destruction and rebirth of only one world. This one. I mean hey if you wanna believe in Spock go for it
The passage says worlds besides this world, so I believe there is more to existence than just one world called earth.