• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where you least expect it

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Have you ever received advice, information, or general help from someone or somewhere where you least expected it to come from? I'll give you a few for instances:

My wife, who was, for the most part, a Christian, who now doesn't consider herself anything, at the weirdest moments, when I'm having trouble with something or going through something, comes up with the most random statements that mirror something a Zen master would say.

One of my best friends, a beer drinking, hell raising redneck, is one of the most compassionate people you could ever meet, and oftentimes will give little hints on how to be so.

So, anyone else ever get any Buddhist advice or help from sources that seem the least Buddhist in nature?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
All the time. One can't possibly expect the school of Zen to totally contain all of spontaneous pure consciousness--so one should expect to see it anywhere.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
All the time. One can't possibly expect the school of Zen to totally contain all of spontaneous pure consciousness--so one should expect to see it anywhere.

To me, this is where Buddhism succeeds over other religions who relegate their religion to just a book. Buddhism can be found anywhere, even where you least expect to find it.

crossfire

Premium Member
To me, this is where Buddhism succeeds over other religions who relegate their religion to just a book. Buddhism can be found anywhere, even where you least expect to find it.
Heh! Do you suspect that our Zen bias filters might have something to do with our seeing Zen everywhere? :D

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Religious wisdom will be found anywhere where people with purity of purpose exist.

It is that simple, far as I can tell.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I've had some uncanny moments where it just felt like the entire experience was engineered, down to the details, specifically for me, like everything that happened was entirely for me.

I had an interesting experience, months ago, that involved drinking and a drum circle. Without boring you guys with the details, conversation and interactions happened in such a way that the entire experience was obviously about breaking through some barriers and it really ****** with me. It was one of those experiences that just made me feel like "really, is this really happening?". Experiences like that have been sort of kensho-y and shake me out of everyday awareness because of the inexplicable strangeness.

It wasn't necessarily "Buddhist" advice but, point is, it seemed practically like an act on everyone's part to help me get through a mental barrier.

Sometimes I wonder if im the last ignorant being left and everyone is just engaged in Buddha-activity to help me wake myself up :D

That or, I engineered my life before I started it :shrug:

crossfire

Premium Member
I've had some uncanny moments where it just felt like the entire experience was engineered, down to the details, specifically for me, like everything that happened was entirely for me.

I had an interesting experience, months ago, that involved drinking and a drum circle. Without boring you guys with the details, conversation and interactions happened in such a way that the entire experience was obviously about breaking through some barriers and it really ****** with me. It was one of those experiences that just made me feel like "really, is this really happening?". Experiences like that have been sort of kensho-y and shake me out of everyday awareness because of the inexplicable strangeness.

It wasn't necessarily "Buddhist" advice but, point is, it seemed practically like an act on everyone's part to help me get through a mental barrier.

Sometimes I wonder if im the last ignorant being left and everyone is just engaged in Buddha-activity to help me wake myself up :D

Well, this post is prompting me to started looking into the Carl Jung book called Synchronicity that I've just bought, but have been delaying reading it.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Well, this post is prompting me to started looking into the Carl Jung book called Synchronicity that I've just bought, but have been delaying reading it.

Exactly as I've planned... Muahahahahaha (and how ironic that the book is about synchronicity)

But, on a serious note, I feel like there is definitely more to the circumstances of our life than mere impersonal cause and effect. While im not negating cause and effect, I have been seriously questioning the validity of the standard view of karma. But that's for another thread. Anyway, even with a view of cause and effect, it seems like the effects which make up our life circumstances are more "personally tailored" to what we actually need in each moment than mere impersonal effects which are only the product of a past action. It's almost as if action A makes effect A take place, not simply because gravity makes an apple fall down every time but, because action A was motivated by intention A and our self correcting nature knows that circumstance A is necessary to correct the mental conditions which prompted action A.

Basically, we are engaged in a great cosmic game of self understanding and that part of us which is not "I" and we are essentially unaware of (unless "awakened") is correcting itself through circumstance until it finally realizes it's nature again. The only morality is that which leads to or away from awakening.

I could seriously believe the Kashmiri Saivite view of the Universe hiding itself from itself and finding itself again and again out of the spirit of play. A continual expression of infinite possibility and discovery through all possible causes and circumstances. I dont see this contradicting Buddhism because Buddhism is simply the path to awakening.

Does that make sense?

The Wizard

Have you ever received advice, information, or general help from someone or somewhere where you least expected it to come from? I'll give you a few for instances:

My wife, who was, for the most part, a Christian, who now doesn't consider herself anything, at the weirdest moments, when I'm having trouble with something or going through something, comes up with the most random statements that mirror something a Zen master would say.

One of my best friends, a beer drinking, hell raising redneck, is one of the most compassionate people you could ever meet, and oftentimes will give little hints on how to be so.

So, anyone else ever get any Buddhist advice or help from sources that seem the least Buddhist in nature?

When I go back to my meditation routines I find I always get the answers or information I need when I need it and the way I need it... for whatever it may be. A great unfolding or growth process, balanced no less. The world and others, no matter how negative, is truly here to teach us a lesson on something in many ways....imo.

Your quote... 'That or, I engineered my life before I started it " is maybe some of the best wordage I have ever read to approach those strange experiences, of which I have myself.

You can stand there to ponder the question, "I created this didn't I." Or, even "I remember something about this"...strange, but true...

The Wizard

Exactly as I've planned... Muahahahahaha (and how ironic that the book is about synchronicity)

But, on a serious note, I feel like there is definitely more to the circumstances of our life than mere impersonal cause and effect. While im not negating cause and effect, I have been seriously questioning the validity of the standard view of karma. But that's for another thread. Anyway, even with a view of cause and effect, it seems like the effects which make up our life circumstances are more "personally tailored" to what we actually need in each moment than mere impersonal effects which are only the product of a past action. It's almost as if action A makes effect A take place, not simply because gravity makes an apple fall down every time but, because action A was motivated by intention A and our self correcting nature knows that circumstance A is necessary to correct the mental conditions which prompted action A.

Basically, we are engaged in a great cosmic game of self understanding and that part of us which is not "I" and we are essentially unaware of (unless "awakened") is correcting itself through circumstance until it finally realizes it's nature again. The only morality is that which leads to or away from awakening.

I could seriously believe the Kashmiri Saivite view of the Universe hiding itself from itself and finding itself again and again out of the spirit of play. A continual expression of infinite possibility and discovery through all possible causes and circumstances. I dont see this contradicting Buddhism because Buddhism is simply the path to awakening.

Does that make sense?
Yes, that is very well said...Thanks. Good to see others on same page...

crossfire

Premium Member

Does that make sense?

Have you read this sutta yet?
Nibbedhika Sutta: Penetrative

(5)"'Kamma should be known. The cause by which kamma comes into play should be known. The diversity in kamma should be known. The result of kamma should be known. The cessation of kamma should be known. The path of practice for the cessation of kamma should be known.' Thus it has been said. In reference to what was it said?

"Intention, I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect.

"And what is the cause by which kamma comes into play? Contact is the cause by which kamma comes into play.... (continued)​

I don't know about you, but my subconscious mind is way smarter than my conscious mind is. And I also know that we can have subconscious intentions....

I often hand over a particularly difficult contemplative problem over to my subconscious mind to chew on. It may take a while, sometimes even years, but eventually I'll start seeing my attention repeatedly focus on things somewhat related to the contemplative project, and I'll know that my subconscious mind is prompting me that a breakthrough in understanding is available--I just have to understand and follow the prompts. Then I'll have a "blinding flash of the obvious," and think, "Omg! It's so simple! How could I have possibly overlooked this?"