• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHERE IS THE SCRIPTURE THAT SAYS GOD'S 4th COMMANDMENT IS ABOLISHED?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I do not think Catholics and most protestants keep Sabbath.
Sure. But both Catholics and Protestants do group the 17 verses of the decalogue into 10 groups. They just do it in different groups.

FIRST COMMANDMENT as grouped by Jews, Catholics, and Protestants quite differently:

Jews:
And God spoke all these words: 2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

Cathollcs:
And God spoke all these words:
2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
3 “You shall have no other gods before[a] me.
4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Protestants:
2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

SECOND COMMANDMENT

Jews
4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Catholics:
7 “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

Protestants:

THIRD COMMANDMENT

Jews:
7 “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

Catholics:
8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Protestants:

FOURTH COMMANDMENT

Jews:
8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Catholics:
12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

Protestants:

I could go on. Basically Catholics "catch up" to the numbering of Jews and Protestants when they divide envy into two commandments, envy of your neighbors wife (their commandment #9) and envy of your neighbor's goods (their commandment #10). Jews and Protestants have both forms of envy listed in the same commandment (their #10)

3rdAngel

Sure. But both Catholics and Protestants do group the 17 verses of the decalogue into 10 groups. They just do it in different groups.

FIRST COMMANDMENT as grouped by Jews, Catholics, and Protestants quite differently:

Jews:
And God spoke all these words: 2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

Cathollcs:

Protestants:

SECOND COMMANDMENT

Jews

Catholics:

Protestants:

THIRD COMMANDMENT

Jews:

Catholics:

Protestants:

FOURTH COMMANDMENT

Jews:

Catholics:
12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

Protestants:

I could go on. Basically Catholics "catch up" to the numbering of Jews and Protestants when they divide envy into two commandments, envy of your neighbors wife (their commandment #9) and envy of your neighbor's goods (their commandment #10). Jews and Protestants have both forms of envy listed in the same commandment (their #10)
I do not think you picked up what I was saying. Let me say it again.. Catholic and most Protestant Christians do not keep the Sabbath. I was never arguing how Catholic or Protestants group the 10 commandments. It probably does not matter as long as all of them are there in the groupings. Although they are not for Catholics.

IndigoChild5559

I do not think you picked up what I was saying. Let me say it again.. Catholic and most Protestant Christians do not keep the Sabbath. I was never arguing how Catholic or Protestants group the 10 commandments. It probably does not matter as long as all of them are there in the groupings. Although they are not for Catholics.
You were replying to me, and it was never my statement that Catholics and Protestants keep the sabbath. I therefore tried to bring you back on subject. MY POINT was that not everyone considers keeping the sabbath to be the fourth commandment. People speak of "the fourth commandment" as though it were the sabbath for everyone, and that is just not the case. Thus there is a problem with the TITLE OF THE THREAD. You wrongly assumed that everyone shared the same idea of what the fourth commandment is. In fact, there are more Catholics on earth than all the protestants added together, and the fourth commandment for them does NOT refer to the sabbath. It's too bad you can't change your title.

Last edited:

3rdAngel

You were replying to me, and it was never my statement that Catholics and Protestants keep the sabbath. I therefore tried to bring you back on subject. MY POINT was that not everyone considers keeping the sabbath to be the fourth commandment. People speak of "the fourth commandment" as though it were the sabbath for everyone, and that is just not the case. Thus there is a problem with the TITLE OF THE THREAD.
Yes I was replying to you... and you were going off topic. The topic of this OP is "Where is the scripture that says Gods 4th commandment has need abolished? Gods 4th commandment is the Sabbath for everyone.

IndigoChild5559

Hi;
I don’t want a debate on the old covenant sabbath or how & why it is abrogated, but was curious of your saying the 4th commandment? how do you know which commandment is which or where the first ends and the second begins etc. ex 20 has the content of the commandments but not list or listings.
Thanks
Please see post 842. I go into great detail laying out how each of Protestants Catholics and Jews each groups the commandments, and why for Catholics, keeping the sabbath is the third commandment and not the fourth.

IndigoChild5559

Yes I was replying to you... and you were going off topic. The topic of this OP is "Where is the scripture that says Gods 4th commandment has need abolished? Gods 4th commandment is the Sabbath for everyone.
You fail to see that there is a BASIC PROBLEM with the title of your thread because you refer to it as the 4th commandment and it is not the fourth commandment for a great many people.

3rdAngel

You fail to see that there is a BASIC PROBLEM with the title of your thread because you refer to it as the 4th commandment and it is not the fourth commandment for a great many people.
Good point.. thanks for the clarification. I see what you were responding to now. I did not know why you posted this way earlier. My reference was to Gods seventh day Sabbath commandment of the 10 commandments from the Hebrew bible and most non-Catholic bibles...... as the 4th commandment of the 10 commandments and says;
  • EXODUS 20:8-11 8, Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9, Six days shall you labor, and do all your work: 10, But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD your God: in it you shall not do any work, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger that is within your gates: 11, For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: why the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and made it holy.
Take Care.

Last edited:

3rdAngel

Hi;
I don’t want a debate on the old covenant sabbath or how & why it is abrogated, but was curious of your saying the 4th commandment? how do you know which commandment is which or where the first ends and the second begins etc. ex 20 has the content of the commandments but not list or listings.
Thanks
Sorry missed this as I am only here occasionally nowadays. See @IndigoChild5559 earlier post. My reference was to most non-Catholic bibles and the Hebrew bible that that call Gods 4th commandment the seventh day Sabbath.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You were replying to me, and it was never my statement that Catholics and Protestants keep the sabbath. I therefore tried to bring you back on subject. MY POINT was that not everyone considers keeping the sabbath to be the fourth commandment. People speak of "the fourth commandment" as though it were the sabbath for everyone, and that is just not the case. Thus there is a problem with the TITLE OF THE THREAD. You wrongly assumed that everyone shared the same idea of what the fourth commandment is. In fact, there are more Catholics on earth than all the protestants added together, and the fourth commandment for them does NOT refer to the sabbath. It's too bad you can't change your title.
As for when the Sabbath is, plainly it's Saturday. The word itself is Hebrew ('rest'), and the commandment is in the Tanakh, so you have only to ask any Jewish authority.

As for Christians, in the first place we have Paul saying:
Colossians 2:16 "Therefore do no let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day."​
Yo can tell just from this that he's no longer faithful to his Jewish upbringing.

But going the other way, the Jesus of the author of Matthew says,
Matthew 5:17 “Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them.​
18 For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.​
19 Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.​
20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.​

And the Jesus of the author of Luke says,
Luke 16:17 But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away, than for one dot of the law to become void.​

Which shows you that although Paul was outvoted 2-1, in history we find he won the argument and Christians threw away the Law and continue to do so.

Last edited:

3rdAngel

As for when the Sabbath is, plainly it's Saturday. The word itself is Hebrew ('rest'), and the commandment is in the Tanakh, so you have only to ask any Jewish authority.
Agreed and good point only its from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset.
As for Christians, in the first place we have Paul saying:
Colossians 2:16 "Therefore do no let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day."​
Yo can tell just from this that he's no longer faithful to his Jewish upbringing.
To understand what Paul is saying here you need to understand the old testament scriptures Paul is quoting from. You will not get that understanding if you do not know the old testament scriptures. In the days of Jesus and the Apostles their bible was the old testament scriptures and everything that comes from the new testament comes out of the old testament scriptures. Happy to talk in detail if you are interested on what Paul is referring to from the old testament scriptures by quoting Colossians 2:16-17. If your interested just let me know. Most people simply cherry pick this scripture from its context to the rest of the bible in order to try to justify their sins.
But going the other way, the Jesus of the author of Matthew says,
Matthew 5:17 “Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them.​
18 For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.​
19 Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.​
20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.​

And the Jesus of the author of Luke says,
Luke 16:17 But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away, than for one dot of the law to become void.​

Which shows you that although Paul was outvoted 2-1, in history we find he won the argument and Christians threw away the Law and continue to do so.
There is no contradiction here. It is simply your interpretation of what you think these scriptures mean. Happy to prove why if you are interested, here or in DM. Just let me know.

Take Care.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
@3rdAngel

Which 4 commandment fo you mean?

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy

Or

Honour thy father and thy mother

Numbering varies from church to church.but ready the op i guess its the Sabbath one.

3rdAngel

@3rdAngel

Which 4 commandment fo you mean?

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy

Or

Honour thy father and thy mother

Numbering varies from church to church.but ready the op i guess its the Sabbath one.
Hi @ChristineM as posted earlier not the Catholic one .. the Hebrew and non-Catholic bibles refers to Gods 4th commandment as the seventh day Sabbath.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Agreed and good point

To understand what Paul is saying here you need to understand the old testament scriptures Paul is quoting from. You will not get that understanding if you do not know the old testament scriptures.
It's Paul's specific mention of the Sabbath that is interesting in this context, I'd say. And he says, quite baldly, don't be troubled if anyone takes you to task over observing whatever "Sabbath" you like.

While I agree that 'scripture' can only mean the Tanakh at this time, I think Paul is already noted for discarding the covenant of circumcision because it got in the way of sales, and is equally free with which day is the Sabbath. My guess would be that he was happy to distinguish the worship of Jesus, which he had espoused, from the Judaism whose laws he felt free to adjust as pleased him ─ and that would be the case whether a Sunday sabbath was his idea, or someone else's, or some other tradition's.

Most people simply cherry pick this scripture from its context to the rest of the bible in order to try to justify their sins.
I have no dog in this fight. I simply set out to understand what the texts say, and what they tell us of history, and what they ─ together with any other historical sources we might be fortunate enough to have ─ tell us of the politics of the early days.

There is no contradiction here. It is simply your interpretation of what you think these scriptures mean. Happy to prove why if you are interested, here or in DM. Just let me know.
As I said, Paul's got form here.

Take Care.
And you. Go well.

3rdAngel

It's Paul's specific mention of the Sabbath that is interesting in this context, I'd say. And he says, quite baldly, don't be troubled if anyone takes you to task over observing whatever "Sabbath" you like.
Well you would be quite incorrect in that view point. It is the same view that many hold that do not understand what Paul is quoting from in the old testament scriptures. For example many that do not understand the old testament scriptures do not understand that there is many difference types of ceremonial sabbaths linked to old covenant Feast days, the Levitical Priesthood, and animal sacrifices and sin offerings. These annual sabbaths of days of no work unlike Gods 4th commandments were liked into the annual feast days and earthly Sanctuary system for blood atonement. These all being shadow laws pointing to the word of Gods promised Messiah. Anyhow lets look at what Paul is talking about in Colossians 2:16-17 that many seek to cherry pick from its immediate contexts and to the context of the old and new testament scriptures and see what Paul is referring to.

As posted earlier; In the days of Jesus and the Apostles; there was no New Testament scriptures and the bible of Jesus, Paul and the Apostles was the old testament scriptures. In fact everything we have in the New Testament scriptures come from the Old Testament scriptures and these are the two great witnesses that point to Jesus and Gods plan of salvation in the New Covenant. The new covenant scriptures actually come out of the old covenant scriptures. What Paul is actually quoting from in Col. 2:16 is old covenant scriptures which we will discuss shortly. Carefully note what Paul is writing in the scriptures here..
The scriptures say...
  • Col. 2:16 [16], Let no man therefore judge you in (1) MEAT, OR IN DRINK, or in respect of an (2) HOLY DAY (Feast day), or of the (3) NEW MOON, or of the (4) SABBATH DAYS (plural): [17], Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. [KJV]

If you prayerfully look at this topic in detail and not surface read and cherry pick the scriptures the scripture and separate these scriptures from context like many do, you will find Col. 2:16 is not a reference to Gods' 4th commandment of the 10 commandments but is a reference to the CEREMONIAL "SABBATHS" **PLURAL** IN THE ANNUAL FEAST DAYS connected to the meat and drink offerings and animal sacrifices that are shadow of things to come pointing to Jesus.

Paul here is actually quoting old testament scriptures in regards to the annual Feast days and ceremonial laws and sabbaths that were connected to these Feast days. I will show you examples of these shortly but let me ask, did you know that there was many different kinds of ceremonial sabbaths (plural) in the Old Testament? For example the annual Feast days included annual ceremonial sabbaths (plural) that unlike Gods' 4th commandment that is every "seventh day" *Ex. 20:10 on a continuous weekly cycle, the annual sabbaths in the Feast days could fall on any day of the week depending on the yearly cycle and were connected directly to the meat and drink offerings and animal sacrifices and sin offerings pointing to Jesus. All these shadow laws of remission of sins including the meat and drink offerings the new moons and the annual sabbaths (plural) in he annual

Feast days for example included

LIST OF CEREMONIAL SABBATHS (work free - Sabbaton holy convocations) CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THE ANNUAL FEAST DAYS BEING REFERRED TO IN COL. 2:16

(1) Feast of Unleavened Bread (first and last day) - Lev. 23:6-8​
(2) Feast of Trumpets - Lev. 23:24-25​
(3) Day of Atonement - Lev. 23:27-32​
(4) Feast of Booths - Lev. 23:34-36​
(5) Feast of First Fruits - Lev. 23:39​
(6) Feast days of Holy convocation of no work (sabbaton Col. 2:16 - Lev. 23:7-8; 21;24; 27; 35-36​

There was even a sabbath of years…

(7) Sabbath of years - Levitical 25:8-10​

It is all these sabbaths (plural) that were connected to the old covenant earthly Sanctuary were all shadows of things to come pointing to Jesus as the promised Messiah and Savoir of the world and Gods plan of salvation in the New Covenant. They were so to speak prophetic shadow laws pointing to Jesus. Unlike Gods 4th commandment these ceremonial sabbaths could fall on any day of the week depending on the yearly cycle because they were linked directly into the annual Feast days unlike Gods 4th commandment which was linked directly into the seventh day of the week (see Genesis 2:1-3).

It is impossible that Col. 2:16 to be talking about Gods' 4th commandment for God's 4th commandment has never pointed forward to things to come but points backwards to the finished work of creation *see Gen. 2:1-3; Ex. 20:8-11. Gods' 4th commandment was also made before sin and before law when mankind was sinless and there was no need for a gospel pointing to Jesus because there was no sin when God made the Sabbath for all mankind (see Mrk. 2:27; Gen. 2:1-3) only Adam and Eve created. Gods' 4th commandment points backwards to the finished work of creation (Gen. 2:1-3; Ex. 20:8-11) not forward to things to come so cannot be a "shadow law" of anything.

Continued......

Last edited:

3rdAngel

Paul in Col. 2:16 is actually quoting old testament scriptures. Lets compare the scriptures and dig a little deeper than cherry picking the scriptures.
  • Col. 2:16 [16], Let no man therefore judge you in (1) MEAT, OR IN DRINK, or in respect of an (2) HOLY DAY (Feast day), or of the (3) NEW MOON, or of the (4) SABBATH DAYS (plural): [17], Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. [KJV]
From the Old covenant scriptures compare the word orders..
  • Ezek. 45:17-21, It shall be the prince’s duty to furnish the burnt offerings, (1) MEAT OFFERING AND DRINK OFFERINGS, at the (2) FEASTS, the (3) NEW MOONS, and the (4) SABBATHS, AT ALL THE APPOINTED (5) FEASTS** OF THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL: He shall provide the SIN OFFERINGS, GRAIN OFFERINGS, BURNT OFFERINGS, AND PEACE OFFERINGS, TO MAKE ATONEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL: HE SHALL PREPARE THE SIN OFFERING, AND THE MEAT OFFERING, AND THE BURNT OFFERING, AND THE PEACE OFFERINGS, TO MAKE RECONCILIATION FOR THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL. Thus says the Lord God; in the first month, in the first day of the month, thou shalt take a young bullock without blemish, and cleanse the sanctuary: and the priest shall take of the blood of the sin offering, and put it upon the posts of the house, and upon the four corners of the settle of the altar, and upon the posts of the gate of the inner court. and so thou shalt do the seventh day of the month for every one that erred, and for him that is simple: so shall ye reconcile the house. in the first month, in the fourteenth day of the month, ye shall have the Passover, a feast of seven days; unleavened bread shall be eaten.

• 1 Chron. 23:31 and whenever (1) BURNT OFFERINGS were presented to the LORD on the (4) SABBATHS, AT THE (3) NEW MOON (2) FEASTS AND AT THE APPOINTED FESTIVALS. They were to serve before the LORD regularly in the proper number and in the way prescribed for them.

• 2 Chron. 2:4 [4] Now I am about to build a temple for the Name of the LORD my God and to dedicate it to him for burning fragrant incense before him, for setting out the consecrated bread regularly, and for making (1) BURNT OFFERINGS EVERY MORNING AND EVENING and on the (4) SABBATHS, AT THE (3) NEW MOONS AND AT THE APPOINTED (2) FESTIVALS of the LORD our God. This is a lasting ordinance for Israel.

• Numb. 28:8-10 [9] And on the Sabbath day two lambs of the first year without spot, and two tenth deals of flour for a (1). MEAT OFFERING, mingled with oil, and the DRINK OFFERING thereof: [10] This is the burnt offering of EVERY SABBATH, beside the continual BURN'T OFFERING, and his DRINK OFFERING.

• Isa. 1:10-14 [10] Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.[11] To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I AM FULL OF THE BURNT OFFERINGS of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.[12] When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?[13] BRING NO MORE VAIN OBLATIONS; incense is an abomination unto me; THE NEW MOONS AND SABBATHS, THE CALLING OF ASSEMBLIES, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.[14] Your new moons and your APPOINTED FEASTS my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them

• Hos. 2:11 [11], I will stop her celebrations: her (2) YEARLY FESTIVALS, HER (3) NEW MOONS, HER (4) SABBATHS AND ALL HER (2) APPOINTED FESTIVALS.
KEY POINTS TAKEN FROM THE SCRIPTURES

(1.) Paul in Col. 2:16 is quoting from old testament scriptures -Ez. 45:17-21; 1 Chron.23:31; 2 Chron. 2:3 and Hos. 2:11.​
(2.) The scriptures are in reference to the sabbaths in the appointed times and Feasts -Ezek. 45:17-21; 1 Chron. 23:31; 2 Chron. 2:4​
(3.) The scripture context in Col. 2:16 and the old testament scriptures Paul is quoting from is to the earthly Sanctuary laws of remission of sins and meat and drink offerings, new moons, and sabbaths (plural) in context to the annual Feast days which are all shadows of things to come. – Hos. 2:11; 2 Chron. 2:4; Ezek. 45:17-21.​
(4.) The earthly sanctuary was for the old covenant laws of remission of sins and animal sacrifices, new moons and sabbaths in the Feast days - 2 Chron. 2:4​
(5.) These were all to come to an end in Christ to who these shadow laws all pointed to – Hos. 2:11; Col. 2:17​

So what you can see here is that Paul is directly quoting old testament scriptures from Col. 2:16 that are referring to the annual ceremonial sabbaths connected to the Old testament Sanctuary and meat and drink offerings and animal sacrifices and old covenant laws for remission of sins linked to the annual Feast days not Gods' 4th commandment which was Paul's custom in keeping according to the scriptures (Ac. of the Apost. 17:2). (edited)

Application to other new covenant scriptures...
  • Heb. 9:1; 9-12 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.... [9] WHICH WAS A FIGURE for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

• HEB. 10:1-9 [1], FOR THE LAW HAVING A SHADOW OF GOOD THINGS TO COME, AND NOT THE VERY IMAGE OF THE THINGS, CAN NEVER WITH THOSE SACRIFICES which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. [2], For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. [3], But in those SACRIFICES there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. [4], For it is not possible that THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND GOATS should take away sins. [5], Why when he comes into the world, he said, SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS YOU WOULD NOT BUT A BODY YOU HAVE PREPARED FOR ME: [6], IN BURN'T OFFERINGS AND SACRIFICES FOR SIN YOU HAVE HAD NO PLEASURE. [7], Then said I, See, I come in the VOLUME OF THE BOOK IT IS WRITTEN OF ME, to do your will, O God. [8], Above when he said, SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS AND BURNT OFFERINGS AND OFFERINGS FOR SIN YOU WOULD NOT, neither had pleasure therein; WHICH ARE OFFERED BY THE LAW; [9], Then said he, See, I come to do your will, O God. He takes away the first, that he may establish the second.
NOTE: All the above new covenant scriptures link in with Col. 2:16, the meat and drink offerings, and the sabbaths in the annual Feast days and the earthly Sanctuary and its laws for remission of sins. Col. 2:16 is not telling us that Gods' 4th commandment is abolished.

Sunday keeping commentaries agree...

I am not one for commentaries but for what it is worth these Sunday keeping scholars are all in agreement here in regards to Col. 2:16 and what has been shared with you here.

Albert Barnes Notes on the Bible

“... Or of the Sabbath days - Greek, “of the Sabbaths.” The word Sabbath in the Old Testament is applied not only to the seventh day, but to all the days of holy rest that were observed by the Hebrews, and particularly to the beginning and close of their great festivals. There is, doubtless, reference to those days in this place, since the word is used in the plural number, and the apostle does not refer particularly to the Sabbath properly so called. There is no evidence from this passage that he would teach that there was no obligation to observe any holy time, for there is not the slightest reason to believe that he meant to teach that one of the ten commandments had ceased to be binding on mankind. If he had used the word in the singular number - “the Sabbath,” it would then, of course, have been clear that he meant to teach that that commandment had ceased to be binding, and that a Sabbath was no longer to be observed. But the use of the term in the plural number, and the connection, show that he had his eye on the great number of days which were observed by the Hebrews as festivals, as a part of their ceremonial and typical law, and not to the moral law, or the Ten Commandments. No part of the moral law - no one of the ten commandments could be spoken of as “a shadow of good things to come.” These commandments are, from the nature of moral law, of perpetual and universal obligation. ...” - Albert Barnes, Col. 2:16 Commentary. E-Sword App.

Adam Clarke, states on the same passage:

There is no intimation here that the Sabbath was done away, or that its moral use was superseded, by the introduction of Christianity. I have shown elsewhere that, Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, is a command of perpetual obligation, and can never be superseded but by the final termination of time. ...” - Adam Clarke, Col. 2:16 Commentary. E-Sword App.

Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary states:

“... the sabbath — Omit “THE,” which is not in the Greek (compare Note, see on Gal_4:10). “SABBATHS” (not “the sabbaths”) of the day of atonement and feast of tabernacles have come to an end with the Jewish services to which they belonged (Lev_23:32, Lev_23:37-39). The weekly sabbath rests on a more permanent foundation, having been instituted in Paradise to commemorate the completion of creation in six days. Lev_23:38 expressly distinguished “the sabbath of the Lord” from the other sabbaths. A positive precept is right because it is commanded, and ceases to be obligatory when abrogated; a moral precept is commanded eternally, because it is eternally right. If we could keep a perpetual sabbath, as we shall hereafter, the positive precept of the sabbath, one in each week, would not be needed. Heb_4:9, “rests,” Greek, “keeping of sabbath” (Isa_66:23). But we cannot, since even Adam, in innocence, needed one amidst his earthly employments; therefore the sabbath is still needed and is therefore still linked with the other nine commandments, as obligatory in the spirit, though the letter of the law has been superseded by that higher spirit of love which is the essence of law and Gospel alike (Rom_13:8-10). ...” - Jamieson, Fausset and Brown, Col. 2:16 Commentary.

CONCLUSIONS:

Col. 2:16 in both scripture and biblical contexts is in reference to the meat and drink offerings for sin and atonement the new moons to the annual ceremonial sabbaths in the annual feast days of the old covenant which were shadows of things to come pointing to the coming of Jesus. Col. 216 is not a reference to Gods 4th commandment of Gods 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken and which was created on the seventh day of the creation week before sin entered the world. Time to unlearn the lies guys we have all been taught from Sunday school.

Take Care

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As has been said before here, the Catholic Church does not believe that complete observance under Jewish Law [613 Commandments as found in Torah] that the Decalogue is in is mandatory for Gentiles.

3rdAngel

As has been said before here, the Catholic Church does not believe that complete observance under Jewish Law [613 Commandments as found in Torah] that the Decalogue is in is mandatory for Gentiles.
No one believes that anyway. For example, no more Levitical Priesthood, earthly Sanctuary, animal sacrifices and sin offerings that were shadows of things to come fulfilled and continued in Jesus who who they pointed to. These of course have nothing to do with God's 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken and are repeated in both the old and new testament scriptures. Your not trying to argue now that Christians are now allowed to lie, steal and commit adultery with their neighbors spouse now are you? Hence the OP.

IndigoChild5559

Sorry missed this as I am only here occasionally nowadays. See @IndigoChild5559 earlier post. My reference was to most non-Catholic bibles and the Hebrew bible that that call Gods 4th commandment the seventh day Sabbath.
I'm not trying to be a pest, but again you are being technically inaccurate here. The Bible does not number the commandments. There are 17 verses, not 10, and they are grouped differently depending on the tradition of your religion. So no, the Protestant Bible does not say that the sabbath command was the 4th commandment. Protestant tradition says this.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Paul in Col. 2:16 is actually quoting old testament scriptures. Lets compare the scriptures and dig a little deeper than cherry picking the scriptures.
From the Old covenant scriptures compare the word orders..
  • Ezek. 45:17-21, It shall be the prince’s duty to furnish the burnt offerings, (1) MEAT OFFERING AND DRINK OFFERINGS, at the (2) FEASTS, the (3) NEW MOONS, and the (4) SABBATHS, AT ALL THE APPOINTED (5) FEASTS** OF THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL: He shall provide the SIN OFFERINGS, GRAIN OFFERINGS, BURNT OFFERINGS, AND PEACE OFFERINGS, TO MAKE ATONEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL: HE SHALL PREPARE THE SIN OFFERING, AND THE MEAT OFFERING, AND THE BURNT OFFERING, AND THE PEACE OFFERINGS, TO MAKE RECONCILIATION FOR THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL.

• 1 Chron. 23:31 and whenever (1) BURNT OFFERINGS were presented to the LORD on the (4) SABBATHS, AT THE (3) NEW MOON (2) FEASTS AND AT THE APPOINTED FESTIVALS. T

• 2 Chron. 2:4 [4] Now I am about to build a temple for the Name of the LORD my God and to dedicate it to him for burning fragrant incense before him, for setting out the consecrated bread regularly, and for making (1) BURNT OFFERINGS EVERY MORNING AND EVENING and on the (4) SABBATHS, AT THE (3) NEW MOONS AND AT THE APPOINTED (2) FESTIVALS of the LORD our God. This is a lasting ordinance for Israel.

• Numb. 28:8-10 [9] And on the Sabbath day two lambs of the first year without spot, and two tenth deals of flour for a (1). MEAT OFFERING, mingled with oil, and the DRINK OFFERING thereof: [10] This is the burnt offering of EVERY SABBATH, beside the continual BURN'T OFFERING, and his DRINK OFFERING.

• Isa. 1:10-14 [10] Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.[11] To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I AM FULL OF THE BURNT OFFERINGS of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.[12] When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?[13] BRING NO MORE VAIN OBLATIONS; incense is an abomination unto me; THE NEW MOONS AND SABBATHS, THE CALLING OF ASSEMBLIES, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.[14] Your new moons and your APPOINTED FEASTS my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them

• Hos. 2:11 [11], I will stop her celebrations: her (2) YEARLY FESTIVALS, HER (3) NEW MOONS, HER (4) SABBATHS AND ALL HER (2) APPOINTED FESTIVALS.
KEY POINTS TAKEN FROM THE SCRIPTURES

(1.) Paul in Col. 2:16 is quoting from old testament scriptures -Ez. 45:17-21; 1 Chron.23:31; 2 Chron. 2:3 and Hos. 2:11.​
(2.) The scriptures are in reference to the sabbaths in the appointed times and Feasts -Ezek. 45:17-21; 1 Chron. 23:31; 2 Chron. 2:4​
(3.) The scripture context in Col. 2:16 and the old testament scriptures Paul is quoting from is to the earthly Sanctuary laws of remission of sins and meat and drink offerings, new moons, and sabbaths (plural) in context to the annual Feast days which are all shadows of things to come. – Hos. 2:11; 2 Chron. 2:4; Ezek. 45:17-21.​
(4.) The earthly sanctuary was for the old covenant laws of remission of sins and animal sacrifices, new moons and sabbaths in the Feast days - 2 Chron. 2:4​
(5.) These were all to come to an end in Christ to who these shadow laws all pointed to – Hos. 2:11; Col. 2:17​

Application to other new covenant scriptures...
  • Heb. 9:1; 9-12 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.... [9] WHICH WAS A FIGURE for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

• HEB. 10:1-9 [1], FOR THE LAW HAVING A SHADOW OF GOOD THINGS TO COME, AND NOT THE VERY IMAGE OF THE THINGS, CAN NEVER WITH THOSE SACRIFICES which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. [2], For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. [3], But in those SACRIFICES there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. [4], For it is not possible that THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND GOATS should take away sins. [5], Why when he comes into the world, he said, SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS YOU WOULD NOT BUT A BODY YOU HAVE PREPARED FOR ME: [6], IN BURN'T OFFERINGS AND SACRIFICES FOR SIN YOU HAVE HAD NO PLEASURE. [7], Then said I, See, I come in the VOLUME OF THE BOOK IT IS WRITTEN OF ME, to do your will, O God. [8], Above when he said, SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS AND BURNT OFFERINGS AND OFFERINGS FOR SIN YOU WOULD NOT, neither had pleasure therein; WHICH ARE OFFERED BY THE LAW; [9], Then said he, See, I come to do your will, O God. He takes away the first, that he may establish the second.
NOTE: All the above new covenant scriptures link in with Col. 2:16, the meat and drink offerings, and the sabbaths in the annual Feast days and the earthly Sanctuary and its laws for remission of sins. Col. 2:16 is not telling us that Gods' 4th commandment is abolished.

Sunday keeping commentaries agree...

I am not one for commentaries but for what it is worth these Sunday keeping scholars are all in agreement here in regards to Col. 2:16 and what has been shared with you here.

Albert Barnes Notes on the Bible

Take Care
From an early time the Christians took the Sabbath to be Sunday. The remark of Paul which I quoted previously is consonant with that. Meanwhile, under the Law it's unambiguously Saturday.

Sure, there were other feast days and other holy days, but that doesn't alter the relevant commandment, which is taken to refer to Genesis's Seventh Day, Saturday.

Jesus is a practicing Jew in all four gospels, though if I recall aright, only Luke makes specific mention of his circumcision. And Paul as a former Jew would have been circumcised too. But that didn't stop Paul inventing excuses and rationalizing to junk circumcision as a requirement and sign up members to his version of Christianity ─ he was a salesman and a numbers man first and last when it came to his religion. I therefore see nothing surprising in the proposition that he advocated a Sunday sabbath, and I don't see your reference to other Jewish 'rest' days as significantly changing that.

To put that another way, on what basis do you say the Christians abandoned the Jewish Saturday sabbath in favor of Sunday? Because that's something they certainly did early on, though from exactly when is not clear, and perhaps as a process rather than by a single central diktat.

Regards

Last edited: