• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHERE IS THE SCRIPTURE THAT SAYS GOD'S 4th COMMANDMENT IS ABOLISHED?

3rdAngel

Hey guys

Just wondering where is the scripture that says Gods 4th commandment seventh day Sabbath has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest in honor of the resurrection of Jesus?

May God bless you as you seek to know Him through His Word.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Hey guys

Just wondering where is the scripture that says Gods 4th commandment seventh day Sabbath has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest in honor of the resurrection of Jesus?

There isn't one. Most of the Christian church does not rely solely on scripture to make decisions about practice. They have tried to think for themselves, believing that the spirit of God is alive in the church and that the faith is therefore not just fossilised in a book.

3rdAngel

There isn't one. Most of the Christian church does not rely solely on scripture to make decisions about practice. They have tried to think for themselves, believing that the spirit of God is alive in the church and that the faith is therefore not just fossilised in a book.
Trouble is according to the scriptures no one can call themselves Gods people or Christians if they do not believe and follow (obey) what Gods Word says and according to the scriptures Gods people are those who believe and obey what the scriptures teach. They are not those who do not believe and obey what the scriptures teach. That is called sin in the bible and all those who practice known unrepentant sin do not enter into Gods kingdom (see Matthew 7:21-23; 1 John 2:3-4; 1 John 3:4; James 2:10-11; Revelation 12:17; Revelation 14:12 and Revelation 22:14) see also Acts of the Apostles 17:30-31 and compare it to Hebrews 10:26-31. According to the scriptures and the very words of Jesus all those who follow man-made teachings and traditions that lead us away from the scriptures to break the commandments of God are not worshiping God in Matthew 15:3-9. According to the scriptures, no one worships God by not believing an following (obeying) what Gods Word says. This is called sin in the bible *Romans 14:23; 1 John 3:4 and no one who practices known unrepentant sin will enter into the kingdom of heaven according to the scriptures (Acts of the Apostles 17:30-31; Hebrews 10:26-31). Thanks for providing your opinion but it is not one that I believe is supported by the scriptures.

Take Care.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Trouble is according to the scriptures no one can call themselves Gods people if they do not believe and follow (obey) what Gods Word says and according to the scriptures Gods people are those who believe and obey what the scriptures teach. They are not those who do not believe and obey what the scriptures teach. That is called sin in the bible and all those who practice known unrepentant sin do not enter into Gods kingdom (see Matthew 7:21-23; 1 John 2:3-4; 1 John 3:4; James 2:10-11; Revelation 12:17; Revelation 14:12 and Revelation 22:14) see also Acts 17:30-31 and compare it to Hebrews 10:26-31.

You don't seem to understand the circularity of your argument. If one believes that one can use the (hopefully) inspired wisdom of the church to make decisions about practice, one is not likely to be impressed by a mere load of bible references, shorn of context. One of the messages of Christ was to get away from slavish observance of rules and look behind the rules to the animating principle. "Was the Sabbath made for Man or Man for the Sabbath?"

3rdAngel

You don't seem to understand the circularity of your argument. If one believes that one can use the (hopefully) inspired wisdom of the church to make decisions about practice, one is not likely to be impressed by a mere load of bible references, shorn of context. One of the messages of Christ was to get away from slavish observance of rules and look behind the rules to the animating principle. "Was the Sabbath made for Man or Man for the Sabbath?"
Well that is not true at all. I did not make a circular argument. I asked the question. Where is the scripture that says Gods 4th commandment of the 10 commandments has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest? You agreed with me that there is no scripture and that Sunday worship as a replacement for Gods 4th commandment is a man-made teaching and tradition that is unsupported by the scriptures. I then provided scripture showing that no one worships God by not believing and obeying what Gods Word says and by following man-made teachings and traditions that lead us away from God and His Word to disobey the scriptures which is against your view that it is ok to do so. This is called sin in the bible. There is not a single word in the bible by Jesus that tells us we are not to obey Gods 10 commandments that it simply untruthful. If you disagree. Please provide the scripture? There is none. Sin which is defined in the scriptures as the transgression of Gods law or not believing Gods Word (1 John 3:4; Romans 14:23) is what Jesus says we become slaves to in John 8:31-36 not obeying what Gods Word says. The Sabbath of course was made for man and God expects us to obey it (see Mark 2:27; Exodus 20:8-11). Gods 4th commandment is one of the 10 commandments that give us a knowledge of what sin is when broken (Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7). Just like any other commandment of the 10 commandments if we brake them we commit sin (see James 2:10-11). All those who continue practicing known unrepentant sin according to the scriptures will not be entering into the kingdom of Heaven according to Hebrews 10:26-31 but will be awaiting the judgements of God.

Take care.

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Hey guys

To me this question sort of falls into the "oddly specific" category. In other words, there are SO MANY errors and contradictions in (Christian), scripture, why just focus on this one?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Well that is not true at all. I did not make a circular argument. I asked the question. Where is the scripture that says Gods 4th commandment of the 10 commandments has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest? You agreed with me that there is no scripture and that Sunday worship as a replacement for Gods 4th commandment is a man-made teaching and tradition that is unsupported by the scriptures. I then provided scripture showing that no one worships God by not believing and obeying what Gods Word says and by following man-made teachings and traditions that lead us away from God and His Word to disobey the scriptures which is against your view that it is ok to do so. This is called sin in the bible. There is not a single word in the bible by Jesus that tells us we are not to obey Gods 10 commandments that it simply untruthful. If you disagree. Please provide the scripture? There is none. Sin which is defined in the scriptures as the transgression of Gods law or not believing Gods Word (1 John 3:4; Romans 14:23) is what Jesus says we become slaves to in John 8:31-36 not obeying what Gods Word says. The Sabbath of course was made for man and God expects us to obey it (see Mark 2:27; Exodus 20:8-11). It is Gods 4th commandment of the 10 commandments that give us a knowledge of what sin is when broken (Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7)
Yes, my point exactly. You provided scripture. And you demand that I provide scripture. But the church does not rely just on slavishly following every word of scripture, not least because scripture contains so many apparent contradictions. The church has always (prayerfully) interpreted scripture for the circumstances. So quoting scripture on its own does not impress. The history of adopting Sunday as the Christian day of rest is well documented. It relates to the Resurrection and the celebration of the Eucharist on the day on which Christ rose from the dead. That is the day of rest that Christians keep holy, in line with the 4th Commandment.

3rdAngel

To me this question sort of falls into the "oddly specific" category. In other words, there are SO MANY errors and contradictions in (Christian), scripture, why just focus on this one?
Hi nice to meet you. I think it is an important question to be honest. Gods 10 commandments according to the scriptures give us the knowledge of good (moral right doing when obeyed) and evil (moral wrong doing when disobeyed); sin (moral wrong doing) and righteousness (moral right doing). *see Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4; Psalms 119:172 and according to James in James 2:10-11 if we break anyone of Gods 10 commandments we stand guilty before God of sin. Gods 4th commandment is one of Gods 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is and there is not a single scripture in all the bible that says that Gods 4th commandment has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest in honor of the resurrection of Jesus. Sunday worship as a replacement for Gods 4th commandment on the other hand is a man-made teachings and tradition that has no support in the bible. Even Jesus in His own words say that if we follow man-made teachings and traditions that lead us away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God we are not worshiping God in Matthew 15:3-9. It begs the question by disobeying God and His Word who are we worshiping God or man? Sin is the transgression of the law *1 John 3:4 and all those who practice known unrepentant sin according to the scriptures will not enter into the kingdom of heaven according to Hebrews 10:26-31.

Take Care

3rdAngel

Yes, my point exactly. You provided scripture. And you demand that I provide scripture. But the church does not rely just on slavishly following every word of scripture, not least because scripture contains so many apparent contradictions. The church has always (prayerfully) interpreted scripture for the circumstances. So quoting scripture on its own does not impress. The history of adopting Sunday as the Christian day of rest is well documented. It relates to the Resurrection and the celebration of the Eucharist on the day on which Christ rose from the dead. That is the day of rest that Christians keep holy, in line with the 4th Commandment.
Read the OP. The question in the OP is "WHERE IS THE SCRIPTURE THAT SAYS GOD'S 4th COMMANDMENT IS ABOLISHED?". There is no scripture is there. You made my point and you did not make one and neither did you address anything in my posts from the scriptures that are in disagreement with you. Sunday worship as a replacement for Gods 4th commandment of the 10 commandments that give us a knowledge of what sin is when broken, is not supported by the scriptures. It is a man-made teaching and tradition that has led many away from God and HIs Word to break the commandments of God against the very warnings of Jesus given in Matthew 15:3-9.

Take Care.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Read the OP. The question in the OP is "WHERE IS THE SCRIPTURE THAT SAYS GOD'S 4th COMMANDMENT IS ABOLISHED?". There is no scripture is there. You made my point and you did not make one and neither did you address anything in my posts from the scriptures that are in disagreement with you.
Sure. In my first post I said there nothing in scripture about moving the day of rest to Sunday. You could have left it there. But you then decided to hurl a load of scripture references, and make wild accusations on the back of them, to which I have been responding.

You are quite clearly stuck, like a robot, on the idea that everything the church decides to do must be explicitly instructed in scripture. But the church has never believed that and - ironically - nor actually is there any scriptural basis for behaving in that way, or not so far as I'm aware. Christianity is not a fossilised religion.

3rdAngel

Sure. In my first post I said there nothing in scripture about moving the day of rest to Sunday. You could have left it there. But you then decided to hurl a load of scripture references, and make wild accusations on the back of them, to which I have been responding. You are quite clearly stuck, like a robot, on the idea that everything the church decides to do must be explicitly instructed in scripture. But the church has never believed that and - ironically - nor actually is there any scriptural basis for behaving in that way. Christianity is not a fossilised religion.
Scriptures was only provided because you were stating more than an agreement with me that there is no scripture for the Sunday tradition and teaching. You were claiming in your post that it is ok to not believe Gods Word and break Gods commandments. That teaching is not supported in the scriptures and denied in the very words of Jesus in Matthew 15:3-9. According to the scriptures true Christianity is based on believing and following what the scriptures say, not disobeying and not believing what the scriptures say. That is the very definition of what sin is (see Romans 14:23 and 1 John 3:4) and all those who practice known unrepentant sin according to the scriptures will not enter into the kingdom of heaven according to Hebrews 10:26-31.

Take Care.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Where is the scripture that says Gods 4th commandment of the 10 commandments has been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest?
Do you strictly adhere to all 613 commandments found in the Old Testament books as a Christian? If so, why? If not, why not?

Bonus question: Was the sabbath made for man, or was man made for the sabbath?

2ndpillar

Hey guys

It is the commandment of the beast with two horns like a lamb (Revelation 13:11-14) the 7th head of the beast, Constantine, whose decree was made in the year 321 A.D. per his god, Sol Invictus, whose holy day is Sunday, the day of the sun. The "scripture" clearly points out in Daniel 7:24-25, that the "another" king (Constantine) will "intend" to change the law and the times.

3rdAngel

Do you strictly adhere to all 613 commandments found in the Old Testament books as a Christian? If so, why? If not, why not?
Hi WW nice to meet you. In answer to your question? No we are in the new covenant now (see Jeremiah 31:31-34; Ezekiel 36:24-27 and Hebrews 8:10-12) not the old covenant (Exodus 24:7). Most of the 613 were in regards to the laws for remission of sins that included the earthly Sanctuary laws, the Levitical Priesthood, the laws of animal sacrifices and sin offerings and annual Feast days that are now fulfilled and continued in Christ and the promised Messiah to who they all pointed to. They were the shadows of things to come pointing to Gods sacrifice for the sins of the world once and for all (see John 1:29; Hebrews 10:10; Hebrews 7:1-25; Hebrews 8:1-13; Hebrews 9:1-27 and Hebrews 10:1-22). On the other hand Gods 10 commandments in the new covenant have the same role they always had and that is to give us the knowledge of good (moral right doing when obeyed) and evil (moral wrong doing when disobeyed); sin (moral wrong doing) and righteousness (moral right doing) *see Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4; Psalms 119:172. As posted through out this thread God's 4th commandment is one of Gods 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken (Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4) and according to James in James 2:10-11 if we break anyone of them we stand guilty before God of sin. According to Hebrews 10:26-31 if we continue in known unrepentant sin we will not enter into the Kingdom of heaven. Sunday worship as a replacement for Gods 4th commandment is a man-made teaching and tradition that has led many away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God against the very warnings given by Jesus in Matthew 15:3-9. The question we should be asking ourselves is who do we believe and follow; God or man?

Take Care.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Scriptures was only provided because you were stating more than an agreement with me that there is no scripture for the Sunday tradition and teaching. You were claiming in your post that it is ok to not believe Gods Word and break Gods commandments. That teaching is not supported in the scriptures and denied in the very words of Jesus in Matthew 15:3-9. According to the scriptures true Christianity is based on believing and following what the scriptures say, not disobeying and not believing what the scriptures say. That is the very definition of what sin is (see Romans 14:23 and 1 John 3:4) and all those who practice known unrepentant sin according to the scriptures will not enter into the kingdom of heaven according to Hebrews 10:26-31.

Take Care.
I never said any such thing. It is you that asserts (on what basis I do not know, because it is not in scripture), that the "Word of God" consists of every word of scripture and nothing else. That has never been the understanding of the church.

3rdAngel

It is the commandment of the beast with two horns like a lamb (Revelation 13:11-14) the 7th head of the beast, Constantine, whose decree was made in the year 321 A.D. per his god, Sol Invictus, whose holy day is Sunday, the day of the sun. The "scripture" clearly points out in Daniel 7:24-25, that the "another" king (Constantine) will "intend" to change the law and the times.
Someone knows their bible and history... thank you.

3rdAngel

I never said any such thing. It is you that asserts, on what basis I do not know, because it is not in scripture, that the "Word of God" consists of every word of scripture and nothing else. That has never been the understanding of the church.
Well the conversation is there for all to read. We will agree to disagree. Take care.

3rdAngel

I haven’t read the whole of this thread but I think you’re looking for Matthew 22:38-40, last sentence.
Hey AJ nice to meet you here. Have a read of the OP. Matthew 22:26-40 is Jesus stating that love is not separate from obedience to Gods law.

Matthew 22:36-40 36, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37, Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38, This is the first and great commandment. 39, And the second is like to it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40, On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

God bless