• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is the outrage over Nun beachwear?

Servant_of_the_One1

The ugly hypocrisy of West is exposed by the West themselves.

This page is not owned by any muslim.

Where’s the Outrage Over Nun Beachwear?
BARBIE LATZA NADEAU
08.21.16 6:15 AM ET
SABAUDIA, Italy — Go to any public beach in Italy and chances are you’ll eventually see a woman wearing a veil and long skirt. But she likely won’t be a Muslim in a version of the controversial burqini. She will almost certainly be a Catholic nun in her summer habit either watching children in her care or, God forbid, just enjoying some sun, which is considered a human right here in Italy, where the sea defines the majority of the borders.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/21/where-s-the-outrage-over-nun-beachwear.html

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

BARBIE LATZA NADEAU
SABAUDIA, Italy — Go to any public beach in Italy and chances are you’ll eventually see a woman wearing a veil and long skirt. But she likely won’t be a Muslim in a version of the controversial burqini. She will almost certainly be a Catholic nun in her summer habit either watching children in her care or, God forbid, just enjoying some sun, which is considered a human right here in Italy, where the sea defines the majority of the borders.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/21/where-s-the-outrage-over-nun-beachwear.html

Italy is not France - European countries are not homogeneous, nor are they ruled by the same national government. And becoming a nun is entirely voluntary; being a Muslim woman is an unfortunate occurrence of birth in most cases.

BARBIE LATZA NADEAU

As far as I am aware, no nuns have been the catalyst of incidences of mass violence in Corsica because their menfolk are trying to enforce their own version of morality that doesn't fit in with local cultural norms.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Nuns are female ascetics. They take vows voluntarily. They don't live ordinary lives. They've made a choice to live apart from the world. Monks, their male counterparts, wear habits and modest attire, as well. There are no rules that govern the daily dress of either men or women in Catholicism or Orthodox Christianity. At church, it's usually expected to dress a bit more formally (but even that's not required and you see people wearing t-shirts, jeans, shorts, sandals, etc.). In more traditional liturgies, women are expected to cover their head with a simple veil. But that's just during the liturgy and they don't have to do it outside of that. In the Novus Ordo Mass, women are not expected to cover their heads. When you visit the Vatican, there are dress codes for both men and women, but that's basically to be respectful while visiting such a holy place.

That said, I don't have a problem with the hijab. However, I do find the burqa and the niqab to be offensive and sexist, as they effectively erase the person. The face is key to communication. If I can't see your face, I can't really communicate with you. I can't see your facial expressions, I can't identify you, etc.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
As far as I am aware, no nuns have been the catalyst of incidences of mass violence in Corsica because their menfolk are trying to enforce their own version of morality that doesn't fit in with local cultural norms.

That's a good point. For all interested, here is a news report on that instance. There's also the fact that Moroccans are getting all uppity because private hotels are banning the burkini in their swimming pools - with a Moroccan MP callling it "rudeness of the new colonisation" (source). Seems like we're seeing more of what Luis mentioned somewhere else - that respect and tolerance is (and should be) only going one way in some Muslims' eyes.

ThirtyThree

That said, I don't have a problem with the hijab. However, I do find the burqa and the niqab to be offensive and sexist, as they effectively erase the person. The face is key to communication. If I can't see your face, I can't really communicate with you. I can't see your facial expressions, I can't identify you, etc.

Internet communication such as communication on forums and email or communication by text messages and so on, is not face to face.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Also, I want to be clear that I think this "burqini" ban and outrage over it is pretty stupid and a waste of time. Who really cares if someone wants to cover their hair and wear long sleeves at the beach. It's a misnomer because it doesn't cover the person's face.

Seems like we're seeing more of what Luis mentioned somewhere else - that respect and tolerance is (and should be) only going one way in some Muslims' eyes.

That's a bit harsh. I'm sure @Servant_of_the_One1 is simply an equal opportunities campaigner who is just as concerned that women in Saudi Arabia, Islamabad and Kabul can't wear exactly what they want.

ThirtyThree

1458745542_742927_1458748403_noticia_normal.jpg

I find the look of this garment very aesthetically pleasing. Then, I am fond of modest and functional clothing. However, modest garments should not be forced on those who do not desire to wear them.

Internet communication such as communication on forums and email or communication by text messages and so on, is not face to face.

But they are not face to face communications media, whereas face to face communication is.

In an interrogation, communication from behind a one way mirror is used to disconcert people for a reason.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Also, I want to add that in France, they have a very strict concept of secularism that is a product of the French Revolution. Not only do they have separation of church and state, but they try to enforce assimilation of cultural secularism onto citizens by law.

Also, I want to add that in France, they have a very strict concept of secularism that is a product of the French Revolution. Not only do they have separation of church and state, but they try to enforce assimilation of cultural secularism onto citizens by law.

This is more about the violence than secularisation though.

Also Corsicans are far more 'old school' than the average metropolitan Frenchie. They are far less likely to put up with people who try to assert their own dominance in the name of 'multiculturalism'.