• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is Liberty and freedom? Will it someday become extinct?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Your absurd statement regarding your comparison between Christianity and islam belies your ignorance.

I've already explained to you that I do not consider your opinions authoritative. What you consider absurd or ignorant is irrelevant.

In fact, your inability to see the striking similarities between Christianity and Islam reveals you as somebody who is blinded by a faith based, tribalistic, confirmation bias.

Also, you don't just disagree. You seem offended by the comparison - an emotional response.

Make your argument if you have one.

Prove your point if you can,

I already made my point. It was a long list of similarities, and an explanation for the differences, which hadnothing to do with either religion, but more to do with the culture in which they are rendered.

You ignored all of that, made some comment about studying Islam after 9/11, assumed an air of superiority, and called me ignorant admmy claim absurd.

That means that the argument still stands unrebutted.

Your logic is thus : If an unborn baby is murdered as the result of the murder of the mother, it is a person.

If it is murdered as the result of a conspiracy between a doctor and it's mother, it is not a person.Wonderful, Such mental gymnastics to justify killing an unborn human.

You can stop right after unborn baby and murdered. I've already told you that I don't consider a fetus a baby or lawful abortion murder. It seems that all you have here is an appeal to emotion.

I've also told you that I don't consider the use of terms like baby, life, person, or human being to describe a human fetus as relevant to the moral status of abortion, and also disregarded all of that to return to your semantic arguments.

You seem to believe that if one attaches any of the words just listed to the fetus, abortion is off the table. Will you take a moment and recognize that I don't care if the law or the Bible considers a fetus a person or not, nor do I care how you feel about that? Nothing changes either way. So to keep coming back to, "But, but, but it's a baby, and you're murdering it" is a non-starter.

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How can privacy have anything to do with the humanity of an unborn child ?

Once again, the humanity of the unborn embryo or fetus is not an issue.

If you can't get past these semantic issues (I notice the conceptus is a child now), there is nothing left to discuss.

You also failed to address my statement of what the central issue surrounding abortion rights is and returned to your religious position, which values I don't happen to share. The issue for me is, once again, whether the prospective mother or the church using the power of the state to enforce its will on these women should be making thee choice. If you think that the mother should have the choice in the matter, you're pro-choice (not pro-abortion, more semantic manipulation). If you think that her choice should be taken from her, you're anti-choice (not pro-life).

And obviously, privacy is very much a relevant matter here.

You've used the dismissive phrase "Get over it" a few times already. What do you think I need to get over? I'm fine. It's you running around with his hair on fire: "Oh the humanity!" "The babies!"

Perhaps you're the one that needs to get over it - to recognize that your opinions apply only to you. You live in a multicultural society where religious and irreligious people live side by side, often with mutually exclusive values. The proper way to do that is to allow people to choose what is right for themselves. This is what humanism is defending, and what the church wants to end.

You didn't care for it when I cited dominionist Gary North, claiming that I misrepresented Christianity by pointing to some of its worst examples. He promoted capital punishment for defying biblical standards as he understood them.

How far from that are you here? What would you say should be the legal status of abortion, and what should be done to people that request and or perform them?

So now how many arguments is it up to that you have ignored? The similarity between Christianity and Islam and the relationship of humanism in the rendering of both, the irrelevance of emotive terms, and that the issue for me is about who makes the choice- the woman or government. If you ever want to get around to discussing why you think those positions and the arguemnts supporting them fail, feel free.

But simply disagreeing and calling ignorance or murder some more is pointless.

You use your terms to obliterate the humanity of the unborn child

Are we back to semantic arguments? Do I have to tell you my reaction again? I have no need to obliterate the humanity. It is irrelevant.You have the need to make it the central issue.

Give me a reason that isn't an appeal to emotion for why I should agree with you that the state should be free to compel and unwanted pregnancy to be taken to term? If you can't do that, you have nothing to say to me on this matter.

Pro abortionists tell the individual they can choose to believe they will be better off without their child, so killing it is justified.

Pro-choice people aren't advising pregnant women what to do.

Last edited:
What I think I understand you're claiming is that instead of taking Muslims at their word that they believe what their scripture tells them, we should second guess them.

That seems like an implausible way to go.

I'm not saying that, I'm just saying that polls and poll findings are rarely suitably nuanced when it comes to complicated things like belief/religion. Therefore, we can't necessarily take them at face value, and certainly can't use them as the basis for making decisions about how to treat all Muslims.

godnotgod

Thou art That
How can privacy have anything to do with the humanity of an unborn child ? If your discussions with your lawyer are shielded by privacy, does that defacto mean you aren't a person ? It is the EXACT same thing.

I already gave you the legal definition of a 'person'. To reiterate:

What is PERSON?
A man considered according to the rank he holds in society, with all the rights to which the place he holds entitles him, and the duties which it imposes. 1 Bouv. Inst. no. 137. A human being considered as capable of having rights and of being charged with duties; while a “thing” is the object over which rights may be exercised.

What is PERSON? definition of PERSON (Black's Law Dictionary)

So legally, is an unborn fetus a person, or a thing?

I am all for reproductive rights, but I am not for genocide. Hitler convinced the German people that they would be better off without the Jews, so he made every effort to kill them all. Genocide.

Pro abortionists tell the individual they can choose to believe they will be better off without their child, so killing it is justified. Multiplied thousands of times every day, it is genocide.

Wrong. You are using the term 'genocide' incorrectly:

Genocide is intentional action to destroy a people (usually defined as an ethnic, national, racial, or religious group) in whole or in part. The hybrid word "genocide" is a combination of the Greek word génos ("race, people") and the Latin suffix -cide ("act of killing").[1] The United Nations Genocide Convention, which was established in 1948, defines genocide as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group".

Genocide - Wikipedia

"a people" is not many fetuses. Fetuses are aborted on an individual basis, each by its mother, not as a group, let alone an ethnic, racial, or religious group. There is no single abortionist calling for mass abortion of fetuses.

You say you, a Christian, are not for genocide, but how about the horrendous genocide, still going on today, of a Christian Nation against the American Indian? Why would any sane person identify with a religious cult which practices genocide in the name of some 'Jesus', dead for over 2000 years, whose existence has not even been established on a historical basis?

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I'm not saying that, I'm just saying that polls and poll findings are rarely suitably nuanced when it comes to complicated things like belief/religion. Therefore, we can't necessarily take them at face value, and certainly can't use them as the basis for making decisions about how to treat all Muslims.

Wanting to live in a Sharia state isn't that nuanced of a question. Regardless of the varieties of Sharia that exist, it boils down to the simple idea that laws come from Allah, not from men.

I think your defense of Muslims is painting them like simpletons. I reiterate that my orientation is to take people at their word - especially when their word is consistent with the evidence in the world. I've got Occam on my side here, I believe.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Your field was medicine, mine was the law. Allow me to impart a little information, Rights are determined by the Constitution, nothing else. That is what the Constitution, the total foundation for law says. No right can be created, it is either in the Constitution and can be protected by law, or it isn't a right. There are no homosexual rights, or right to marriage. The first doesn't exist and the second is a privilege, not a right. Homosexuals have the same rights as all of the rest of us, no more, no less. There is no right to abortion, only the alleged unenumerated right to privacy. The law has never addressed the issue of an unborn baby being a person. There is no right to serve in the military, it to is a privilege,
This is wrong.

shmogie

Once again, the humanity of the unborn embryo or fetus is not an issue.

If you can't get past these semantic issues (I notice the conceptus is a child now), there is nothing left to discuss.

You also failed to address my statement of what the central issue surrounding abortion rights is and returned to your religious position, which values I don't happen to share. The issue for me is, once again, whether the prospective mother or the church using the power of the state to enforce its will on these women should be making thee choice. If you think that the mother should have the choice in the matter, you're pro-choice (not pro-abortion, more semantic manipulation). If you think that her choice should be taken from her, you're anti-choice (not pro-life).

And obviously, privacy is very much a relevant matter here.

You've used the dismissive phrase "Get over it" a few times already. What do you think I need to get over? I'm fine. It's you running around with his hair on fire: "Oh the humanity!" "The babies!"

Perhaps you're the one that needs to get over it - to recognize that your opinions apply only to you. You live in a multicultural society where religious and irreligious people live side by side, often with mutually exclusive values. The proper way to do that is to allow people to choose what is right for themselves. This is what humanism is defending, and what the church wants to end.

You didn't care for it when I cited dominionist Gary North, claiming that I misrepresented Christianity by pointing to some of its worst examples. He promoted capital punishment for defying biblical standards as he understood them.

How far from that are you here? What would you say should be the legal status of abortion, and what should be done to people that request and or perform them?

So now how many arguments is it up to that you have ignored? The similarity between Christianity and Islam and the relationship of humanism in the rendering of both, the irrelevance of emotive terms, and that the issue for me is about who makes the choice- the woman or government. If you ever want to get around to discussing why you think those positions and the arguemnts supporting them fail, feel free.

But simply disagreeing and calling ignorance or murder some more is pointless.

Are we back to semantic arguments? Do I have to tell you my reaction again? I have no need to obliterate the humanity. It is irrelevant.You have the need to make it the central issue.

Give me a reason that isn't an appeal to emotion for why I should agree with you that the state should be free to compel and unwanted pregnancy to be taken to term? If you can't do that, you have nothing to say to me on this matter.

Pro-choice people aren't advising pregnant women what to do.
Emotion has nothing to do with it, the law does. Religion has nothing to do with it, the law does.

The law has never addressed whether the unborn child is a person. Your OPINION is that it is not.

If it has a brain, a beating heart, arms hands and feet that move, if it can feel pain as more and more research is showing that it does, it is a human. Period. If the issue was so clear, why did the warren court in Roe V Wade run from it ? Why didn´t they just say, being pro abortion, that an unborn human isn´t a human ? They didn´t, because they knew it was untrue. So they barfed up the unenumerated right of privacy, to wash their hands of the issue.

You keep repeating, perhaps to convince yourself, that an unborn child isn;t a human. Your opinion, there is no settled law on the issue, though there will be.

If I was addressing the issue from my religious perspective, NO abortion would be allowed except under the most extreme cases.

However, my religious views shouldn be law.

What should be law is the prevention of murder to an unborn child.

Since a non specialized clump of tissue cannot reasonably made to be a human to the secular mind, I would allow abortion on demand for the first trimester.

After that time, when the baby is obviously human by all standards except viability ( many people who have been born are not viable either), there would be no abortion. Except, in the actual case of physical danger leading to severe injury or death to the mother, certified by two physicians and subject to review. There would be none of this bogus mental injury nonsense used today, i.e. the baby is inconvenient to me so I am distressed. Abortion after the first trimester would be first degree murder on the part of the provider, and conspiracy to commit murder on the part of the mother.

If 90 days isn´t long enough to do their killing, then tough.

shmogie

I've already explained to you that I do not consider your opinions authoritative. What you consider absurd or ignorant is irrelevant.

In fact, your inability to see the striking similarities between Christianity and Islam reveals you as somebody who is blinded by a faith based, tribalistic, confirmation bias.

Also, you don't just disagree. You seem offended by the comparison - an emotional response.

I already made my point. It was a long list of similarities, and an explanation for the differences, which hadnothing to do with either religion, but more to do with the culture in which they are rendered.

You ignored all of that, made some comment about studying Islam after 9/11, assumed an air of superiority, and called me ignorant admmy claim absurd.

You can stop right after unborn baby and murdered. I've already told you that I don't consider a fetus a baby or lawful abortion murder. It seems that all you have here is an appeal to emotion.

I've also told you that I don't consider the use of terms like baby, life, person, or human being to describe a human fetus as relevant to the moral status of abortion, and also disregarded all of that to return to your semantic arguments.

You seem to believe that if one attaches any of the words just listed to the fetus, abortion is off the table. Will you take a moment and recognize that I don't care if the law or the Bible considers a fetus a person or not, nor do I care how you feel about that? Nothing changes either way. So to keep coming back to, "But, but, but it's a baby, and you're murdering it" is a non-starter.
Who cares what you consider ? Your opinion is of no matter to me, and there is no legal standard otherwise. Yes, I get that you have no regret over genocide by abortion, butt I have met murderers who had no regret about their killing. I am not comparing you to them, am simply saying that they had an opinion. In one case the killing was condemned by the law, in your case the killing is shielded from the scrutiny of the law. Not much of a dlfference IMHO.

The NT, the Christian Bible, NEVER says anyone is to be killed by any follower of Christ.

The koran instructs it multiple times as the just deserts of those who will not convert. In fact, the koran instructs specific methods of killing, fire, beheadings, etc. It is merciful in that Christians and Jews, ẗhe people of the book¨ are exempted from torture, they are to be just beheaded.

The Christian Bible nowhere records Christ or the Apostles killing anyone.

The hadith on the other hand records ol'mo as a killer himself, as well as those who followed him, i.e. family members as leaders of the faith. It also describes the internecine warfare that led to two divisions, sunni and shia, but that is beyond the scope of this discussion, but you probably know about it already. What is shocking to me is that you could be so apparently ignorant of the many differences in the faiths, an important one being what I have just pointed out. It is as if you don really know the differences, though, ¨on paper¨ you claim they are much the same. It is as if you never have read the koran or hadith................................... You have haven´t you ? Im am 99% sure you have read the NT, at least once in your life, though.

Curious George

Veteran Member
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

One of the main reasons that the bill of rights was opposed was based on the notion that people would then try to say that the constitution is the origin of the rights which it discussed. This is not so. The Constitution does not, nor was ever intended, to create or establish an exhaustive list of rights belonging to the people.

You are not just mistaken, but fundamentally wrong in your conception of rights. The constitution is a document that establishes a federal system of government.

Your claim that the constitution sets out the rights of the people is unfounded. More to the point the notion that the rights acknowledged within the constitution is somehow exhaustive is contradicted by the text of the constitution itself.

shmogie

I already gave you the legal definition of a 'person'. To reiterate:

What is PERSON?
A man considered according to the rank he holds in society, with all the rights to which the place he holds entitles him, and the duties which it imposes. 1 Bouv. Inst. no. 137. A human being considered as capable of having rights and of being charged with duties; while a “thing” is the object over which rights may be exercised.

What is PERSON? definition of PERSON (Black's Law Dictionary)

So legally, is an unborn fetus a person, or a thing?

Wrong. You are using the term 'genocide' incorrectly:

Genocide is intentional action to destroy a people (usually defined as an ethnic, national, racial, or religious group) in whole or in part. The hybrid word "genocide" is a combination of the Greek word génos ("race, people") and the Latin suffix -cide ("act of killing").[1] The United Nations Genocide Convention, which was established in 1948, defines genocide as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group".

Genocide - Wikipedia

"a people" is not many fetuses. Fetuses are aborted on an individual basis, each by its mother, not as a group, let alone an ethnic, racial, or religious group. There is no single abortionist calling for mass abortion of fetuses.

You say you, a Christian, are not for genocide, but how about the horrendous genocide, still going on today, of a Christian Nation against the American Indian? Why would any sane person identify with a religious cult which practices genocide in the name of some 'Jesus', dead for over 2000 years, whose existence has not even been established on a historical basis?
Yes, go back and read your legal definition of person.

Go back and re read your definition of a person very carefully. Having done that, please explain to me how, under law, the killing of a pregnant woman is charged as a double murder. The baby is both a human and has rights, the right to life, the right to not be murdered. Can you murder a thing ?, nope, then it would be only once count of murder, not two. This is a legal definition used in most states, what you think is irrelevant, the law is what applies.

Now, do you understand why the Supreme court under warren didn´t address the very issue you are harping about ? It could´t. These laws already established an unborn child as a person.

To allow abortion they made up a right to screen the act, period. Why can you grasp this simple concept ? Perhaps you ought to go to the prisons as an advocate for those convicted of double murder asI have described. They would be happy to hear you could get them off for one murder conviction, because in your opinion, they didn kill a person, and you can´t murder a thing. I wonder how much credence your briefs on this matter would be given ?

Genocide, well, that is what Sanger and and her abortion mill outfit set out to do, eliminate as many black children as they could in the womb, thatś genocide. What do you call the intentional killing of a high percentage of each generation, year by year, ah, genocide committed against that generation.

What about another issue we haven´t even addressed. In botched abortions, there has been a lot of testimony, under oath, that no efforts are made to assist babyś born alive, babyś that could survive on an NICU, they are simply left alone till they die, it is all shielded by privacy, of course, but what say you, babies, or things ?

shmogie

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

One of the main reasons that the bill of rights was opposed was based on the notion that people would then try to say that the constitution is the origin of the rights which it discussed. This is not so. The Constitution does not, nor was ever intended, to create or establish an exhaustive list of rights belonging to the people.

You are not just mistaken, but fundamentally wrong in your conception of rights. The constitution is a document that establishes a federal system of government.

Your claim that the constitution sets out the rights of the people is unfounded. More to the point the notion that the rights acknowledged within the constitution is somehow exhaustive is contradicted by the text of the constitution itself.
A sweet opinion, but nonsense. Please tel me where one right has been established outside the bill of rights, by amendment to the Constitution, How many ?

Please tell me what the Constitution tells me about how an amendment to the Constitution is established.

I never said the rights enumerated in the Constitution are a de facto final list.

Tell me of any rights you have that are not included in the Constitution, established by the Constitution. What authority for these non Constitutional rights do you cite ?

Believe me when I say I really look forward to hearing back from you.

Curious George

Veteran Member
A sweet opinion, but nonsense. Please tel me where one right has been established outside the bill of rights, by amendment to the Constitution, How many ?
Everyone of my rights exist with or without a constitution.

But we see other rights such as a right to privacy which are derived from the rights that were acknowledged not established by the Constitution.

Let us examine the text of the first amendment to see this:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Notice how we do not see the establishment of any right. These were rights already possessed. The right of free speech can only be abridged if it already exists. And it is not conferred upon anyone prior. We can only conclude that the right existed before the constitution. This is in line with the philosophical assumptions of the drafters regarding natural rights.

Even in instances where one could feasibly argue there was a conferring of a right (the 5th and 6th amendment) we only see a framework to preserve our right to justice.
Please tell me what the Constitution tells me about how an amendment to the Constitution is established.

I never said the rights enumerated in the Constitution are a de facto final list.
No but you certainly sound like you are trying to use the constitution to disparage other rights possessed by the people which flies in the face of the 9th Amendment:
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Tell me of any rights you have that are not included in the Constitution, established by the Constitution. What authority for these non Constitutional rights do you cite ?
Natural rights that have been assumed throughout history.
Believe me when I say I really look forward to hearing back from you.
Well cheers to that. I really look forward to you recognizing the intent of the drafters.

shmogie

Natura

But we see other rights such as a right to privacy which are derived from the rights that were acknowledged not established by the Constitution.

Let us examine the text of the first amendment to see this:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Notice how we do not see the establishment of any right. These were rights already possessed. The right of free speech can only be abridged if it already exists. And it is not conferred upon anyone prior. We can only conclude that the right existed before the constitution. This is in line with the philosophical assumptions of the drafters regarding natural rights.

Even in instances where one could feasibly argue there was a conferring of a right (the 5th and 6th amendment) we only see a framework to preserve our right to justice.

No but you certainly sound like you are trying to use the constitution to disparage other rights possessed by the people which flies in the face of the 9th Amendment:
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Well cheers to that. I really look forward to you recognizing the intent of the drafters.
l Agree with you in part, in that all rights, as Jefferson said, come from the creator, which you refer to as natural rights. Jefferson also said that the whole purpose of the Constitution was to codify rights, thus his insistence on the bill of rights.

The 9th amendment, of course, refers to unenumerated rights, which I am disgusted by in Roe v Wade. These are almost always cobbled together by using pieces of other amendments, as was ¨privacy´ in Wade.

The issue for me isn´t privacy per se, it is that it is being used to screen the denial of another right.

The dissent in Wade made it clear that privacy was promulgated because the majority would not address the primary issue, the humanity of an unborn child, and thus equal protection.

Many have speculated, and I agree, that the majority was afraid to do this, for fear of backlash, or their own conscienceś. Like Pilate, they found a way to conveniently wash their hands of the matter.

This very troubling, since, as I have pointed out in another post, the killing of an unborn baby by killing the mother, is considered murder. In some jurisdictions when the mother lives, and the unborn baby dies, criminal jeopardy for the death is affixed.

How can you murder something that isn´t a human ? If you can murder an unborn baby, does that not make it human with that most basic natural right, the right to life ? This has been the fundamental right of the unborn since the Republic was founded, till 1973.

So then, explain to me how a legally established determination of humanity to the unborn exists on the one hand, yet this humanity can be denied by another right ?

A total legal pool of stupidity to me that will continually be attacked and be controversial and an area of conflict till resolved. The unenumerated right to privacy never addressed whether the American legal system had been in error till 1973. That was the entire purpose of the rationalization for Roe V Wade, sidestep all the issues, history, prior findings, and make something up to do so. ¨privacy¨ makes everything before and after moot. Washing their hands indeed.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You keep repeating, perhaps to convince yourself, that an unborn child isn;t a human.

Again? Really? Back to human?

I told you that with me, being human didn't change the moral calculus of the abortion issue - a point like all others that you choose to not refute - not that a human fetus wasn't human. You both failed to respond to the actual point I did make, and mangled what it was in the retelling.

Can you see that?

This discussion has reached an impasse. You keep repeating yourself to somebody who tells you that he doesn't share your values, and now with the straw man arguments that you made for me there.

This discussion has become worthless to me.

Thank you for your participation. If you ever care to address any argument I have made, or ever decide to acknowledge any value that I've told you I hold or don't hold in your comments to me, we can resume this discussion.

shmogie

Again? Really? Back to human?

I told you that with me, being human didn't change the moral calculus of the abortion issue - a point like all others that you choose to not refute - not that a human fetus wasn't human. You both failed to respond to the actual point I did make, and mangled what it was in the retelling.

Can you see that?

This discussion has reached an impasse. You keep repeating yourself to somebody who tells you that he doesn't share your values, and now with the straw man arguments that you made for me there.

This discussion has become worthless to me.

Thank you for your participation. If you ever care to address any argument I have made, or ever decide to acknowledge any value that I've told you I hold or don't hold in your comments to me, we can resume this discussion.
I have addressed every argument you have made. I have learned that you are so frustrated because I refuse to accept your terminology. You tell me why I should. I find it interesting that you want to discuss morality regarding this matter. I don´t need to. You know that our morality is as far apart as one edge of the universe to the other.

You refuse to look at the only thing that truly matters, the law. I have asked you simple legal questions regarding the humanity of an unborn baby, you self servingly ignore them because the answers put the lie to your positions.

As to islam being the same as Christianity´ ön paper¨ I have responded with what is written ¨on paper"'about the matter. That particular ball is completely in your court.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Where is Liberty and freedom? Will it someday become extinct?

There is no doubt the United States has lost a fair amount of freedom the past few decades and has slipped in it's ratings as a free and open country.

Opinions?

Examples?
Please give any examples of how human freedom has reduced in your country and any examples of how human freedom was at any time greater?

The people have never been more free than they are now, surely?

godnotgod

Thou art That

I really look forward to you recognizing the intent of the drafters.

You make an important point here.

The Constitution supports your view:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."

So man is already endowed with certain natural rights, but government is to make sure they are protected and preserved.

Having said that, governments can, however provide license to men, usually via formal application and for a fee.

Last edited:

godnotgod

Thou art That
Yes, go back and read your legal definition of person.

Where do you see 'unborn fetus' in the following legal definition of a person:

"A man considered according to the rank he holds in society, with all the rights to which the place he holds entitles him, and the duties which it imposes. 1 Bouv. Inst. no. 137. A human being considered as capable of having rights and of being charged with duties; while a “thing” is the object over which rights may be exercised."

Since an unborn fetus is incapable of having rights and of being charged with duties, it cannot be a person, according to the legal definition by Black's Law given above. On the contrary, it must have rights exercised over it by persons who are capable of having rights and charged with duties. Legally, then, it is a 'thing', as defined by law.

Having done that, please explain to me how, under law, the killing of a pregnant woman is charged as a double murder. The baby is both a human and has rights, the right to life, the right to not be murdered. Can you murder a thing ?, nope, then it would be only once count of murder, not two. This is a legal definition used in most states, what you think is irrelevant, the law is what applies.

From the POV of the mother, she is fully expecting to bring the pregnancy to term. She has expectations of bringing up a person. In this sense, the unborn fetus is a potential person. The father and would-be siblings also have these expectations. Double murder makes sense in this case. But in the case of an abortion, the mother is doing and thinking exactly the opposite. She has no expectation of bringing the pregnancy to term in order to raise a child into a person, and it is her right to make that decision. There is no malice here as there is in a murder. In fact, I would guess that in most cases, it pains the mother horribly to make this decision.

If a vandal destroys a sculptor's work in progress which he fully expects to bring to completion, especially if it is a commissioned work for which he is expecting monetary gain, that is one thing. But if the sculptor destroys the work himself, that is another. It is, at all times, HIS creation.

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
Examples?
Please give any examples of how human freedom has reduced in your country and any examples of how human freedom was at any time greater?

The people have never been more free than they are now, surely?
The right to property has decreased since the 1920's, the right to privacy has decreased since the 1970's, the right to keep and bear arms has decreased since the 1930's, the freedom of the press has decreased since 2000s, the right to be free from unreasonable search has declined since the 2000s, the right to free speech has declined sine the 2000s, the right to to be free from cruel and unusual punishment has declined since the 2000s, the privilege of writing of habeas corpus has often been on shaky grounds, (and recent times have proved no exception) and I am sure we can find many more examples. While this process is sometimes understandable the more recent erosion post 9/11 has certainly been exponential. In fact many of the past erosion could have been viewed as a refining process in which some rights were chipped away for legitimate interests while others were built up in a process which tried to value the rights with a countries needs. With 9/11 the needs of the country seemed to increase largely regarding government reach and government security.

I am more curious how you cannot see this?