• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where have you lived.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Quite right, eselam, but "Cut N Shoot" and "Squaw's Teat" weren't the names I was referring to.

i know, but i just though i'd use that.

and yes many native names do sound weird, but how weird would Cut N Shoot sound to them.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
i meant about the name of NEW YORK, in the US not GB.

what does it mean, does it even have a meaning or it just rhymes so they used it. does it have a story behind it?

The New York region was originally settled by the Dutch, eselam, and was called Nieuw Nederland. Its principle harbour was Nieuw Amsterdam.

In August of 1664, in one of the most remarkable examples of "gunboat diplomacy" in history, four English frigates sailed into Nieuw Amsterdam harbour and calmly announced that they would reduce the city to rubble if the Dutch didn't hand the city over. Nieuw Amsterdam was a trading city. International commerce was it's sole raison d'etre. The city fathers, perhaps wisely, decided it would make little difference to their pocketbooks what colour flag waved above city hall, and promptly capitulated.
The English decided the town would be better named after York than Amsterdam, and changed the name. English-Dutch influence went back and forth over the next century, but, as you can see from the map, "New York" stuck.

And that's how NY came to be, O best beloved....

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I just returned from visiting my daughter in Hampton Roads!!! I love it there! I lived there when I was a little girl. I lived on Kerry Lake Drive and went to Sanford Elementary School.

I LOVE VIRGINIA - it's probably my favorite state.

LUCKY!

Cool beans. I do love my home state. :)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Pffffft!

I was mostly raised in Maryland, AKA: Virginia North.
Altogether too hot and humid (especially humid), if you ask me.....

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Pffffft!

I was mostly raised in Maryland, AKA: Virginia North.
Altogether too hot and humid (especially humid), if you ask me.....

Yeah, it does get hot and muggy on the coast but we usually enjoy four seasons, which is nice. I've always enjoyed my trips to Maryland.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Hey I also lived in Abingdon and Edgewood, Maryland. I loved it there too. I love that whole Chesapeake Bay region.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
i meant about the name of NEW YORK, in the US not GB.

what does it mean, does it even have a meaning or it just rhymes so they used it. does it have a story behind it?

Sigh... think, son. Think. That is where New York got it's name. York is the "old" York, while New York is the new one. The new city was named after the old one. There are a lot of places in America with "New" as part of their name that were named after older places elsewhere.

Ozzie

1966-1970 Mildura, Victoria
1970-1972 Nauru
1972-1973 Dundee, Scotland
1974 Nauru
1975-1992 Sydney Australia
1992-1994 incognito
1995-France
1996-1999 Switzerland
1999 - present Sydney Australia

Boring in old age.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
1987 - 2002 Coppell, TX
2002 - 2006 Argyle, TX
2006 - 2008 Tucson, AZ
2008 - Present Wellingon, NZ

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
is this thread about all the cities we have visited or about the ones we have actually lived in?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
is this thread about all the cities we have visited or about the ones we have actually lived in?

I think it's just the ones we've lived in... since it's called "where have you lived." I could make a huge list of the places I've been :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I lived in Joplin, Missori where I was born for a few months, then moved to Indiana and have had four or five homes in 22 years, in two different counties, but all of them in the same general area.