• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did Jesus asked to be worshpped?

Me Myself

Back to my username
We were made in the image and the semblance of God. Jesus did not ask worship there either.

If he had asked worship, then it would have been a great idsea to include himself in the prayer he said we should all pray everyday. Yet he didn´t. "In the name of the father the son and the holy spirit" was a latter addition.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Hummm just noticed I put this on a DIR when I just made the thread.

Could an admin please pass this to general religious debates? :)

Aamer

Truth Seeker
Matthew:4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Him ONLY? Could he be any more clear about it? The trinity is a Roman concept. Not Biblical.

F0uad

John is not even considered to be a reliable testimony by Christian scholars because of the late years and development.
Just put Mark next to Matthew and then John read the same story side by side and you will see the development yourself.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
John 10:31-33 [31] Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, [32] but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?" [33] "We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."
JC didn't phrase his claim to divinity in a way that you may like but he phrased it in a way he knew exactly how HIS AUDIENCE would understand it.
John 10
22 Then came the Festival of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, 23 and Jesus was in the temple courts walking in Solomon’s Colonnade. 24 The Jews who were there gathered around him, saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”
25 Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all[c]; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”
31 Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him, 32 but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?” 33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

Actually I don't believe he said he was God/Deity anywhere in the scriptures.

The verse he quotes. "ye are gods." is correctly translated Magistrates/Judges/Priests (over Israel.)

He himself qualifies their accusation in 10:36.

John 10:36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am a Son of God?

So he isn't calling himself God - he calls himself "sanctified" = set aside/Priest/Judge, and A SON OF GOD. We are all told we can be such.

Also 31 doesn't actually say "claim to be God." It says "appoint THYSELF theos."

Theos also means Magistrate/Priest/Judge.

They are angry because he has appointed himself a Judge/Priest over them.

noh950

Noh
I know he said that nobody could aspire forgiveness if it was not for him (and I have my own ways of interpreting that)

But when did Jesus said he should be worshipped?

When did Jesus said that only if you say his name and invoke his name he would forgive you?

Because I know those who were booing him while he carried the cross were certanly not "worshipping" him when they shouted and laughed at him, and yet he said to God "Forgive them, because they donñt know what they are doing"

To me this shows Jesus is willing to forgive without any need to be worshipped, so even when he does say that no one can see the father if not for him... he never said he was only going to let in those who worshipped him.

That appears to be only the elaboration of Paul, or am I missing any verse?
My thought as a Muslim is that Jesus (peace be upon him) never said worship me, and he never claimed that he has some divine qualities. It's he who said, as all the prophet of Allah (the All Mighty) said: I can for my own self do nothing. But it's those excessive and misguided people who began to rise him above of the human/prophet/messenger level, until they said that he is God.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Here we see Jesus exercising the authority to forgive sins

Mark 2:5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, ‘Son, your sins are forgiven.’”

I can go all day with these verses:)

edit: the reality is that no matter what verses I cite you'll always be able to find an apologetic against it. It'll usually be some disagreement about the context or the translation. I wish you luck and God's guidance in your quest for truth

The Hebrew already had a method for forgiveness of sins.

Priest Jesus just preached a different message.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
As with all of the Bible and the varying scriptures, it can be confusing.

Matthew 4:10 (ESV)Then Jesus said to him, “Be gone, Satan! For it is written,“‘You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.’”

And compare to, where Jesus said:

John 14:9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

The way you have written this I'm not actually sure which way you are leaning concerning the question?

He is not telling the Devil that he has to worship him.

In the preceding verse the Devil asks Jesus to worship him, - and Jesus tells him that worship is for the Lord God only.

Mat 4:8 Again, the devil took him up into an exceeding high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
Mat 4:9 And said unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
Mat 4:10 Then said Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Here we see Jesus exercising the authority to forgive sins

Mark 2:5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, ‘Son, your sins are forgiven.’”

I can go all day with these verses:)

edit: the reality is that no matter what verses I cite you'll always be able to find an apologetic against it. It'll usually be some disagreement about the context or the translation. I wish you luck and God's guidance in your quest for truth

You are confused, the OP is not whether he had authority to forgive sins or not, but whether he ever ASKED FOR WORSHIP. Like for example when he taught people to pray. There would be a great example of a moment he could have added some sentence in there for people to worship him when they pray to the Father. He didnt.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Actually doesn't he say somewhere in there, NOT to worship him - but only the Father?

I dont think he denies worship in any oart of the bible. He says only God is GOOD, but he doesnt deny worship. The way I see it this is similar to hindu guru worship.