• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did all the Muslims, in RFs, go?!

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Do you have one in mind?
I don't. But I think that those people who are trying to approach peace, compromise, and cooperation should not be discouraged. If these individuals find support in scriptural discussions of war and defense, so be it. Even if it's incoherent.

Do you disagree?

Notanumber

A Free Man
I don't. But I think that those people who are trying to approach peace, compromise, and cooperation should not be discouraged. If these individuals find support in scriptural discussions of war and defense, so be it. Even if it's incoherent.

Do you disagree?

I had Islam in mind and I doubt its ideology is trying to approach peace, compromise, and cooperation.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I had Islam in mind and I doubt its ideology is trying to approach peace, compromise, and cooperation.
An Ideology can't try to do anything. It's not a living being.

People who are Muslims, Christians, Catholics, Jews, Hindu, Daoists, Buddhists, Humanists, Atheists, Agnostics, and Others... all of them are trying to approach peace, compromise, and cooperation.

All of us. We're all trying. The only ones who aren't are nihilists. The only determining factor is... empathy. All the beliefs systems and non-belief systems have people who are approaching this goal.

But criticizing an Ideology is only useful for building up a person's ego. It's not at all useful for making peace. It makes a person feel elite. It turns geo-political debate into sport. Like a football game. People who criticize an ideology don't want peace. They want to win and they enjoy watching other people lose.

Perhaps it's less like football and more like the mentality found in a spectator at a roman coliseum.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
And I think that you should think before posting such nonsense. Misuse of the term renders it neither misleading nor dishonest, while baseless attempts to tarnish the term could very well be both.

I have thought about it a lot. Ask yourself, what's a "phobia"? And ask yourself, are you worried about Islam - which is merely a collection of ideas - or are you worried about Muslims?

So the most natural definition of Islamophobia would be: "an unwarranted, intense fear of Islamic ideas". I don't believe that that's what you're worried about - is it?

icehorse

Premium Member
There are Muslims who do not think the Qur'an is perfect, and/or do not think that Muhammad is perfect. Your assumptions are over simplified and false.

I have never heard a Muslim admit either of those things, and I've been debating and conversing with Muslims for years.

Notanumber

A Free Man
An Ideology can't try to do anything. It's not a living being.

People who are Muslims, Christians, Catholics, Jews, Hindu, Daoists, Buddhists, Humanists, Atheists, Agnostics, and Others... all of them are trying to approach peace, compromise, and cooperation.

All of us. We're all trying. The only ones who aren't are nihilists. The only determining factor is... empathy. All the beliefs systems and non-belief systems have people who are approaching this goal.

But criticizing an Ideology is only useful for building up a person's ego. It's not at all useful for making peace. It makes a person feel elite. It turns geo-political debate into sport. Like a football game. People who criticize an ideology don't want peace. They want to win and they enjoy watching other people lose.

Perhaps it's less like football and more like the mentality found in a spectator at a roman coliseum.

People follow ideologies especially when they have been indoctrinated with that ideology from an early age.

Add to that the peer pressure from others in your community to conform to that ideology.

icehorse

Premium Member

Not all ideologies are good. We should criticize the bad ones. They are only ideas after all.

There is one ideology I'm aware of whose adherents claim that their scripture is the literal word of god. This scripture is misogynistic, homophobic, anti-semitic, supremacist, war-like, and promotes theocracy. These are all bad ideas by today's standards, don't you think?

icehorse

Premium Member
Spiritual Anti-Theists are:

1) Hypocrites
2) Unable to learn
3) Delusional
4) Immoral

I'm quite comfortable in the company of John Lennon and Christopher Hitchens and the like. (And your sinking to slurs is noted.)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I have never heard a Muslim admit either of those things, and I've been debating and conversing with Muslims for years.
Denial:

you asked the question, but you won't believe the answer.

That's denial.

Just take a moment and think about what you're saying:

You are saying, "I don't believe you, and I won't review any evidence to the contrary. My personal conversations in the past over rule anything you can teach me."

That's an inability to learn.

icehorse

Premium Member
Denial:

you asked the question, but you won't believe the answer.

That's denial.

Just take a moment and think about what you're saying:

You are saying, "I don't believe you, and I won't review any evidence to the contrary. My personal conversations in the past over rule anything you can teach me."

That's an inability to learn.

Slurs aside... I'm claiming that the basic tenets of Islam are that the Quran is the perfect word of god, and that Muhammad is god's messenger and his life is the perfect role model.

Now, since you're defending Islam, how would YOU define the basic ideas of the faith?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I'm quite comfortable in the company of John Lennon and Christopher Hitchens and the like. (And your sinking to slurs is noted.)
John Lennon? "All we are saying is give Peace a Chance?"

You have been advocating fear-mongering and attack first ask questions later.

sooda

Veteran Member
Slurs aside... I'm claiming that the basic tenets of Islam are that the Quran is the perfect word of god, and that Muhammad is god's messenger and his life is the perfect role model.

Now, since you're defending Islam, how would YOU define the basic ideas of the faith?

I define Islam by the five pillars of Islam. Did a Muslim hurt you? I have many years experience in the Muslim world.. and I find them to be friendly, family oriented and conservative.

The terrorists really bastardize the faith and they are a lethal threat to most Muslims.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Slurs aside...
The word slur is nothing but an attempt to silence opposition to your flawed dangerous beleifs.

The word slur is the same as Islamophobia. Your use of it, "slur" repeatedly only proves my point.

"Spiritual-AntiTheism : )" With the smiley face is a Joke. It is the height of hypocrisy, and it is wrong. Your ideology is wrong, dangerous and incoherent. And gratefully it will expire with you.

That's a scientific fact.

upload_2019-12-27_9-30-34.png

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

I'm not defending Islam. Not right now, at least.

Please quote me defending Islam, else, you are misquoting me.

I am attacking your beliefs. I think they are dangerous and incoherent. I think you are inviting discourteous behavior and suspicion on yourself because of your chosen religious label and its doctrines.

Turn-about is fair play. :p

turnabout is fair play - Wiktionary

"It is allowable to retaliate against an enemy's dirty tricks by using the same ones against them."

Last edited:

icehorse

Premium Member
I define Islam by the five pillars of Islam. Did a Muslim hurt you? I have many years experience in the Muslim world.. and I find them to be friendly, family oriented and conservative.

The terrorists really bastardize the faith and they are a lethal threat to most Muslims.

Hey, some progress, thank you. Wouldn't you say that the 1st pillar, the "profession of faith" is more or less what i've been saying? I.e., acknowledging that the Quran is the word of god and that Muhammad is god's messenger?

(And please note, I'm not thinking about those statistically rare terrorists, I'm discussing only the basics of the faith.)