• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nPeace

Veteran Member
The author of Ecclesiastes, as I understand it, sees no difference between breath and spirit. He is saying that death is the end, full stop. If you don't do it, think it, have emotional experiences of it, while you're alive, then afterwards there is nothing.

Which makes excellent sense. We've evolved to have a life-map built in ─ infant, learner, adolescent, worker, breeder, adviser of grandchildren, end of plan and purpose.

By contrast, the sheer purposeless of living eternally, the sheer boredom and lack of meaning and direction, is vastly more appalling than death.

As Woody Allen is said to have said, Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
Living forever would indeed be extremely boring, if man could make everlasting life a reality.
Under an all wise, almighty, eternal, infinite God, eternal life and boredom is impossible.

Having a brain capacity like ours, and endless universes, worlds, and possibilities, how is it possible to be bored.
Right now, we have only scratched the surface of understanding anything.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Living forever would indeed be extremely boring, if man could make everlasting life a reality.
Under an all wise, almighty, eternal, infinite God, eternal life and boredom is impossible.
Now, Heavenly Choir, let us practice hymn 48,192,662,817,052 again, "Dear Boss, you're terrific, the greatest, wow, golly!"
Having a brain capacity like ours, and endless universes, worlds, and possibilities, how is it possible to be bored.
Right now, we have only scratched the surface of understanding anything.
Because life/awareness isn't going anywhere, nothing changes, nothing has meaning, and nothing you can do can change anything anyway.

You're a living creature, you've evolved to be born, survive long enough to breed, and then get out of the way. It's worked for all species so far, so it can't be such a bad idea. And the breeding part has always been optional.

Eli G

@cataway
You probably don't realize you have a double and triple post. So you might want to check and delete three posts.
Hitting the "Post reply" button is a headache.
Once you hit it a second time and the page loads, check to be sure you don't have a double post, and delete one.
Regards
That is happenning to all posters... There is a problem with the forum and someone has to fix it. To avoid the repeated posts, don't take seriously when it says there was a problem to post ... close that error message and just reload the page, and your post will appear only once, no matter that supposed "server error". After the post, check that isn't still in the box like when you are writing, if so, just delete it to post any new message.

Last edited:

jes-us

Are the dead alive somewhere?
Can the dead interact with the living... or dead?
Is there any hope for the dead... can the dead live again?

[/QUOTE]
No the dead are not alive somewhere because dead refers to the body . However, the light of a person , their soul , their existence of words and memories , continue to exist after death of the body , conserved at the edge of the universe like data on a disk .

nPeace

Veteran Member
@cataway
You probably don't realize you have a double and triple post. So you might want to check and delete three posts.
Hitting the "Post reply" button is a headache.
Once you hit it a second time and the page loads, check to be sure you don't have a double post, and delete one.
Regards

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That is happenning to all posters... There is a problem with the forum and someone has to fix it. To avoid the repeated posts, don't take seriously when it says there was a problem to post ... close that error message and just reload the page, and your post will appear only once, no matter that supposed "server error". After the post, check that isn't still in the box like when you are writing, if so, just delete it to post any new message.
Yes, that is what I have been doing, ignoring the server error message, and then I check to se if my post got posted. That prevents me from having duplicate posts. When I posted a post more than once I got duplicates and I could not delete them, but I think the staff must have deleted them since they are gone now.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No the dead are not alive somewhere because dead refers to the body . However, the light of a person , their soul , their existence of words and memories , continue to exist after death of the body , conserved at the edge of the universe like data on a disk
Hi, I see you are a new member. Welcome to the forum.

I agree that dead refers to the body, which is mortal. The soul cannot die since it is eternal.
I believe that after the body dies the soul goes to a spiritual world and takes on a spiritual body, although I have no idea what that world is like, except that it is not physical.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Fair enough, but I was just talking about Matthew 11. It seems there are two "types" of resurrection involved. One the specific "raising from the dead" performed by Jesus during his ministry on Earth and the general resurrection that (supposedly) awaits us all.

That's all.
That sounds right.

jes-us

Hi, I see you are a new member. Welcome to the forum.

I agree that dead refers to the body, which is mortal. The soul cannot die since it is eternal.
I believe that after the body dies the soul goes to a spiritual world and takes on a spiritual body, although I have no idea what that world is like, except that it is not physical.
Look out into space and see a rainbow road , at the end of the road is a firmament where the function of the road collapses . Once your soul reaches the end of the road , it becomes a part of the road, expanding the road , conserved by the space where there is no road . There you will rest forever or until you are brought back in the future , whether that be our technology or an aliens races technology .

jes-us

Brought back to where?
Brought back to where ever the technology brings you back too . Similar to retrieving data from a hard drive . We obviously haven't got this technology yet but other species in different parts of the Universe might . In the future we might develop this technology .

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks, Eli. No, I kept getting an error message telling me to re-try later, and each of the repeats was a later try a few minutes apart. The same thing happened just now as I deleted the extras ─ they were all still there when I'd finished, and now I've come back after an hour or so, they've gone.

Dang gremlins!

nPeace

Veteran Member
Now, Heavenly Choir, let us practice hymn 48,192,662,817,052 again, "Dear Boss, you're terrific, the greatest, wow, golly!"

Because life/awareness isn't going anywhere, nothing changes, nothing has meaning, and nothing you can do can change anything anyway.
This is due to narrowmindeness, remember.

You're a living creature, you've evolved to be born, survive long enough to breed, and then get out of the way. It's worked for all species so far, so it can't be such a bad idea. And the breeding part has always been optional.
This is the thinking of animals, and because some think there are nothing more than animals.

Whatever happened to reality blu. You're always talking about reality versus what's in our head. Now you are describing what's in many heads.
Life is indeed purposeless without a divine creator, but that's in the skeptic's head. It's not reality.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
No the dead are not alive somewhere because dead refers to the body . However, the light of a person , their soul , their existence of words and memories , continue to exist after death of the body , conserved at the edge of the universe like data on a disk .
When the little girl died, Jesus did not say, her body is sleeping. He said she - the person - herself - is sleeping.
He didn't say I am going to wake Lazarus' body, but Lazarus himself - the person - him.

So, while it is true that persons believe that the person does not die, as the Devil purported, the teachings of Jesus Christ and God's word disagree.

I think if persons had their way - which God did not allow, we would be reading texts like this...
(Acts 7:60) . . .Then, kneeling down, [Stephen] cried out with a strong voice: “Jehovah, do not charge this sin against them.” And after saying this, his body died.

Instead of...
(Acts 7:60) . . .Then, kneeling down, [Stephen] cried out with a strong voice: “Jehovah, do not charge this sin against them.” And after saying this, he fell asleep in death.

The soul, which is the person, dies. Ezekiel 18:4
Greek psuché; Hebrew nephesh: a soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion

However, I would agree God's memory can be compared figuratively to storing data on a disk.
So, the person - the self, which includes all the characteristics, memories, emotions, etc., is in God's memory, as I said.

Last edited: