• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When is a rape joke okay?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
So then you agree that when the coyote falls off the cliff (which would kill him in real life) that is worst than a rape joke?

I think that over-exaggeration may help to make it — I mean the coyote's falling off the cliff — more palatable. If it was over-exaggerated to the point of absurdity, I'd think that the unrealistic elements would be enough to make it acceptable. Cartoon characters aren't usually meant to be accurate reflections of reality, anyhow.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think that over-exaggeration may help to make it — I mean the coyote's falling off the cliff — more palatable. If it was over-exaggerated to the point of absurdity, I'd think that the unrealistic elements would be enough to make it acceptable. Cartoon characters aren't usually meant to be accurate reflections of reality, anyhow.

Yes and no.

They reflect reality in some ways (or else they wouldn't ´t be relatable at all, so, not funy) but they don´t in every way (thing they have in common with most jokes)

In any case, most jokes rely on exageration.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Part of me likes to imagine you've been sitting around formulating your joke for three years, and you finally had a eureka moment and ran to the computer for that one.

My attention span rarely allows for more than 3 seconds before responding. Sorry to disappoint.