• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When in the egg does the soul enter the body?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Does the sperm have half a soul and egg the other half or what?
When a human being takes its first breath, according to Genesis. When God breathed into humanity's nostrils, then humanity became nephesh. That, according to this theological construct, is when the soul enters the body.

Luke 1:35-37 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren. For with God nothing shall be impossible.

1:38-41 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her. And Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Juda; And entered into the house of Zacharias, and saluted Elisabeth. And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:

1:42-43 And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. And whence is this to me, that the mother of My Lord should come to me? For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.

While in the womb, the spirit of the six month old embryo recognized the spirit of the newly conceived Christ.

InvestigateTruth

So anyone want to have a go at defining soul for us?

The soul is the human's spirit.
Briefly, there are different level of spirits, and in order of power, can be put as follows:
1- The spirit of Plants; that's the spirit that gives power of growth to plants and trees.
2-The spirit of animals; that's the spirit which gives the power of senses to animals.
3-The spirit of human, that's the spirit which gives the power of mind and intellect to human. The body of human it'self grows from the animal spirit.
4- The spirit of Faith; It is the power which makes the earthly man heavenly, and the imperfect man perfect...it purifies and sanctifies those made captive by carnal desires.
5-Holy spirit; This Holy Spirit is the mediator between God and His creatures.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Luke 1:35-37 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren. For with God nothing shall be impossible.

1:38-41 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her. And Mary arose in those days, and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Juda; And entered into the house of Zacharias, and saluted Elisabeth. And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:

1:42-43 And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. And whence is this to me, that the mother of My Lord should come to me? For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.
While in the womb, the spirit of the six month old embryo recognized the spirit of the newly conceived Christ.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the fetus had a soul. The Psalms tell us that natural phenomena "clap their hands" in celebration of God. And they don't have souls...

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Agree with friends Tiberius, Tarheeler and others but like to broaden it from a general notion as understood by most.
Soul is always linked with the body meaning at one end there is only mass [body] and the other end of the body is the soul like water turing to vapour at one end it is ice [solid state] when alive it is running [liquid state] and then when heated it vaporizes. Similarly are humans. If if any one would separate the body and soul as separated items put together would be incorrect and so to stating that the soul is an integral part of any body as everything comes out of consciousness/god and is nothing but a part of god itself so how can a body be not a part of god?? Without soul how can it be a part of god?
The focus should be on the mind. When does the mind starts to assert its independence when does it takes itself to be separated from god??
Yes, the first breath that a body draws independently from existence the mind starts working as till then the body draws air [oxygen/prana] through the mothers breath but after coming out it cries out is when the breath enters to the mind to start its journey independently and getting guidance [lessons] from the various teachers it is surrounded by starting from parents, family etc.

Love & rgds

St Giordano Bruno

I don’t believe the egg or sperm or a zygote has any "soul" whatsoever because there is no consciousness. If soul was injected into the soul at the time the egg was fertilized then identical twins would share the same soul.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend SGB,

Soul is the form of God /consciousness which is the is what ever form IS; belief systems stems from the mind and each mind is different, never the soul/consciousness.

Love & rgds

trudy2

It's sorta tongue in cheek but it does mention the soul entering the body. It's titled THE SECRET BOOK OF CREATION and it's on Amazon Kindle. I hope I'm not violating any rule by mentioning it, but I just thought some of you might find it interesting. It's short and cheap! The kind of book I love best.;)

Thanks,
trudy2

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
According to Hinduism, the soul enters the body at the time of conception.