• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When in the egg does the soul enter the body?

Tiberius

I say "Define soul".

And is there a single moment when we can say that life/the soul/etc starts? or is it more like the transition from night to day, where there is no single instant where we say say it stops being night and becomes day, but rather gradually fades from one to the other?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I'd say the soul enters the body with the first breath.

The mother and father provide the organic materials for the baby; the souls is from God and can only be provided by Him.

Skwim

Veteran Member
the soul inters the body during the quickening(the the woman first feels the life kick or jump)
So it's a matter of the mother's nervous system. The soul stands by until mom feels the kid kick, then ZIP, WHAM, Here I am!
icon14.gif

Tarheeler said:
I'd say the soul enters the body with the first breath.
Kind of an oxygen requirement thing then?
icon11.gif

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In Islam the soul is believed to be in the fetus by the 120th day. That is the majority opinion, although some scholars/schools of thought (Maliki being one of them) states it's by the 40th day.

That's a religious view; my personal feelings may be different, however.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Kind of an oxygen requirement thing then?
icon11.gif

Only from a biological standpoint.

From a spiritual one, it's kind of a "...and He breathed into his nostrils the soul of life, and man became a living soul" thing.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Only from a biological standpoint.

From a spiritual one, it's kind of a "...and He breathed into his nostrils the soul of life, and man became a living soul" thing.

that may ring true for Adam, but i dont think the same can be said for all who came after him. He was created from dust whereas we are created from life...very different.

All life exists by Gods spirit and therefore, we must begin our life at conception

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
that may ring true for Adam, but i dont think the same can be said for all who came after him. He was created from dust whereas we are created from life...very different.

All life exists by Gods spirit and therefore, we must begin our life at conception

Interesting how different people can interpret the same thing, huh?

I don't see "dust" as being literal; I take it as simply meaning organic material. And we're all made of that. I don't think that our life and our soul are tied together from the inception; our bodies are from the earth, our souls from God. They merge at birth and when we die each goes back to their source.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Interesting how different people can interpret the same thing, huh?

I don't see "dust" as being literal; I take it as simply meaning organic material. And we're all made of that. I don't think that our life and our soul are tied together from the inception; our bodies are from the earth, our souls from God. They merge at birth and when we die each goes back to their source.

It depends on what definition of nephesh one uses. What definition of nephesh do you use?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
It depends on what definition of nephesh one uses. What definition of nephesh do you use?

I don't.

I can't even begin to decipher ancient Hebrew, let alone attempt to translate it.
I'll let the Biblical and Hebrew scholars lead the way on translating the Torah.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Paramahamsa Yogananda stated that the soul enters at the moment of conception; before that, the individualized soul is not present in either the egg or the sperm.

As for defining the soul, it's basically our true identity after we strip away all the things we are not (body, intellect, emotions, etc.)

Tiberius

I say "Define soul".

I'm still waiting for an answer to this. It seems that we can hardly talk about something unless we define what it is that we are talking about.

So anyone want to have a go at defining soul for us?

And is there a single moment when we can say that life/the soul/etc starts? or is it more like the transition from night to day, where there is no single instant where we say say it stops being night and becomes day, but rather gradually fades from one to the other?

I'm surprised no one else has said anything about the idea that there isn't a single definite moment where we go from not having a soul (whatever it is) to having one. After all, we see such gradual changes throughout human life. When does a person stop being a child? When does a person start or finish puberty? When does a person become middle aged?

Why does no one seem to agree with me?