• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

when do you think mankind will completely self destruct worldwide?

kloth

probably not until the universe itself starts to rip apart at the seams.
well that could unexpectingly happen in the next hour. but let's say it doesn't happen for another million years. then when will mankind self destruct?

2100. Round Number.

Japanese robotics revolt against their creators once sustainability is realised through the robotic takeover of all production and manufacturing. Obviously started with automated assembly lines involving auto manufacturers.
wasn't that in a movie? ah yes, it was.

Maybe we will all be assimilated by the Borg. We are becoming more and more reliant on technology. Of course, I am just kidding.
i believe you. and i am NOT kidding...which means i am kidding.

Delusional.
but if i made a thread asking why is mankind so delusional these days, people would reply back saying "they are not" and claim they have never seen a delusional person in their entire life. :rolleyes:
i guess it's my fault for posting questions like that in a debate section. ;)

nazz

Doubting Thomas
well that could unexpectingly happen in the next hour. but let's say it doesn't happen for another million years. then when will mankind self destruct?

Actually it is not set to happen for trillions of years in the future. Well before then, in about 7 billion years our sun will become a red giant and all life on this planet will cease to exist. The intensity of solar radiation will begin to dramatically increase in a little more than one billion years from now causing the oceans to evaporate. Before then all plant life will have died off (about 600 million years from now)

If humans are to survive we will need to build self-sustaining arks and begin looking for other planets to inhabit.

I don't think we will kill each other off but there may well be catastrophes both natural and artificial which will drop population levels considerably.

As the great poet Jim Morrison penned, the future's uncertain and the end is always near. Cheers!

Last edited:

apophenia

Maybe we will all be assimilated by the Borg. We are becoming more and more reliant on technology. Of course, I am just kidding.

I recently read a book of essays by William Gibson ( 'grandfather of cyber-punk' - the man who coined the term cyberspace) - he notes that we are a cyborg collective already, but haven't realised it yet.

If you doubt that, don't post on forums, or use a smartphone or social media, for a week if you can.

kloth

Actually it is not set to happen for trillions of years in the future. Well before then, in about 7 billion years our sun will become a red giant and all life on this planet will cease to exist. The intensity of solar radiation will begin to dramatically increase in a little more than one billion years from now causing the oceans to evaporate. Before then all plant life will have died off (about 600 million years from now)

If humans are to survive we will need to build self-sustaining arks and begin looking for other planets to inhabit.

I don't think we will kill each other off but there may well be catastrophes both natural and artificial which will drop population levels considerably.

As the great poet Jim Morrison penned, the future's uncertain and the end is always near. Cheers!

we won't kill each other off? it seems to me that people are doing this more and more to more extreme boldness these days. every year/generation needs to top the last is why. with school yard shooting, etc. things like that. when are they going to take it to a next level? and to what level? when are things like terrorist attacks and mass murders not going to be enough for some?
some people won't kill, they'll just be killed.
I don't believe we know what will happen in a billion years at all, but if a scientist says so then people just go along. when they can cure all the cancers in the world, then maybe I'll start to believe they can predict the future.
but there's no stopping certain wars really, could be a war of nations, a race war, a political war, a real war of the sexes.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
what year would you guess it would happen?
I guess that depends upon what you mean by destroy. We have a tendency to believe ourselves more central to everything than we are. Usually, this is good as it can help to motive doing things like reducing carbon emissions, environmental impact, pollution, etc. Sometimes, however, the fear that we will ruin everything if we don't do X right now actually causes more harm. In this case it isn't harmful but it may be misleading. We have the power to wipe out tons of species (and we have) as well as our own. But you have to remember that natural disaster, natural fluctuations in climate, and even extinction from destroyed ecosystems by animals before humans existed has all been going on for a very long time. The closest the world ever got to being destroyed (not the Earth itself, but all environments and life) was when the majority of species were wiped off of the face of the Earth and most ecosystems ravaged or destroyed across the globe. That was over 200 million years ago, but when we look around Earth is teaming with life. It may be that we will have the capacity to wreak this kind of havoc and, alas, it might happen that we'll use it. We won't destroy the world though. I can't see any technology now or in the future that will enable us to cause that much damage.

However, if by destroy you mean destroy ourselves and goodness knows how many other species and habitats, then I think we might get lucky. We'll probably make conditions too hard for us to survive or at least survive in enough numbers to do even more damage than we already are. So keep your fingers crossed: with a little luck, we'll kill ourselves off before causing a 6th mass extinction.

kloth

I guess that depends upon what you mean by destroy. We have a tendency to believe ourselves more central to everything than we are. Usually, this is good as it can help to motive doing things like reducing carbon emissions, environmental impact, pollution, etc. Sometimes, however, the fear that we will ruin everything if we don't do X right now actually causes more harm. In this case it isn't harmful but it may be misleading. We have the power to wipe out tons of species (and we have) as well as our own. But you have to remember that natural disaster, natural fluctuations in climate, and even extinction from destroyed ecosystems by animals before humans existed has all been going on for a very long time. The closest the world ever got to being destroyed (not the Earth itself, but all environments and life) was when the majority of species were wiped off of the face of the Earth and most ecosystems ravaged or destroyed across the globe. That was over 200 million years ago, but when we look around Earth is teaming with life. It may be that we will have the capacity to wreak this kind of havoc and, alas, it might happen that we'll use it. We won't destroy the world though. I can't see any technology now or in the future that will enable us to cause that much damage.

However, if by destroy you mean destroy ourselves and goodness knows how many other species and habitats, then I think we might get lucky. We'll probably make conditions too hard for us to survive or at least survive in enough numbers to do even more damage than we already are. So keep your fingers crossed: with a little luck, we'll kill ourselves off before causing a 6th mass extinction.
I put self destruct in the title to say destroy ourselves. meaning to kill ourselves and each other by hand, or weapon, chemical, etc. causing death. where there is no human life on or in earth, or floating close to it.

satyaroop

that's if you believe it's inevitable.

what year would you guess it would happen? whether it's by a world war or ???
you can also guess how you think it might go down, if you want.

when "they" decide it's time to depopulate; the great culling
maybe "they" will orchestrate a world war or maybe "they" will not inform us about an impending disaster, while "they" go underground to save themselves

:run:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I falsely predict that Earth's population will decrease as a result of enhanced life-spans and a discouragement to have children. Androids will perform menial tasks, and high tech clothes will make housing an unnecessary luxury. Homelessness will become equally desirable to owning a home or renting. All personal possessions will be digital. Nukes will be aged under magnetic fields and used to warm Antarctica. Then aliens will come from outer space to kill earth's population. The Mona Lisa will be all that is left to represent the human race.

kloth

Ah. Thanks for clarifying. In that case:

you're welcome.

when "they" decide it's time to depopulate; the great culling
maybe "they" will orchestrate a world war or maybe "they" will not inform us about an impending disaster, while "they" go underground to save themselves

:run:
maybe. but when? that's the main point of the thread, besides how.

I falsely predict that Earth's population will decrease as a result of enhanced life-spans and a discouragement to have children. Androids will perform menial tasks, and high tech clothes will make housing an unnecessary luxury. Homelessness will become equally desirable to owning a home or renting. All personal possessions will be digital. Nukes will be aged under magnetic fields and used to warm Antarctica. Then aliens will come from outer space to kill earth's population. The Mona Lisa will be all that is left to represent the human race.
people often say robots will take over, but the only ones who really know that are the ones who create them from scratch. the materials and chemicals in robots are all natural product, perhaps from earth only, maybe something from space as well.
these robot creators might get trapped if they don't understand the ingredients entirely of a robot they create, which could back fire.

that's if you believe it's inevitable.

what year would you guess it would happen? whether it's by a world war or ???
you can also guess how you think it might go down, if you want.

Its not just peak oil, its peak everything. Many of our industrial resources should expire within the next 100 years. The exponential rate of population growth ensures a peak. There may be mass die off when resources and productivity fail to sustain population growth.

Its not self destruction or an extinction event, but I'd say 2100 will be pretty rough. The poorer countries and poorer people across the world will be hit the hardest. Economically, it will turn into another Great Depression, but one with no recovery since very little industrial resources will be left. This will be the end of a great chapter which started with the industrial revolution.

Last edited: