• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When do we blame God?

tomspug

Absorbant
At what point do people in general tend to lay blame on God rather than on themselves or other people? Likewise, when do people generally tend to attribute thanks to God? Is there a relationship between those two answers?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
At what point do people in general tend to lay blame on God rather than on themselves or other people? Likewise, when do people generally tend to attribute thanks to God? Is there a relationship between those two answers?

Are we talking about Christians?

tomspug

Absorbant
I think this would apply to any theist, or non-theists can post their own opinion on the subject too. I chose for this to be an open debate.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I think generally speaking people blame God for bad things that happen to them. But generally the take the credit when good things happen to them. I think it's just human nature to blame bad occurances on other things and take credit for good things.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
In my worldview, we are God, so the question doesn't really apply. For most people, though, I would guess that they blame God when events seem entirely out of their control.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
?

You don't think that people in general blame 'God' for anything?
:eek: Was very much a personal note..

In general though, I think it's very obvious, everything "we" see as injustice can throw the blame into the direction of God. And then specially the things we can't control or understand. If somebody dies of disease at a very young age for example. No control and why that young? Appareantly people want at least one to blame, but in this case there isn't any....except maybe one...The one..

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Sometimes people blame God initially and then when it is all over (whatever the trouble is) they apologize to God for doubting Him. At least that is what happens to me on occasion. It is easier to get mad at someone you can't see and won't answer back than to yell at someone who will either get angry or cry.

Smoke

Done here.
To blame god, you have to
1) Believe in god, and
2) either
a) believe he is doing something he shouldn't, or
b) (more likely) believe he is not doing something he should.
Some people blame god for allowing the Holocaust, for instance. There are, no doubt, also people who blame god for their height or their weight or the fact that they haven't won the lottery. It's the kind of thing that varies widely from one theist to another.

If you believe there is someone who could easily help you in time of trouble with no loss or inconvenience to himself, and he chooses not to help you, it's only natural to blame him for it.

Smoke

Done here.
On a diferrent note, supposed gods get credit for many things they had nothing to do with.
Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Greenlanders, by Jane Smiley:
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif]Nevertheless, my intention is fixed, and soon Ragnhild will be thanking the mercy of the Lord, who moved my heart to send her these sheep. And so praise will rise up to Him who is fond of praise, but gives little in return for it.[/FONT]​

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
This discussion reminds of a book I read about a year ago about a 19 year old woman was raped and became pregnant. She would not consider abortion as she was a Christian and pro-life. She felt God was punishing her. While I was reading that it occurred to me that if she thought God was really punishing her then God would have been responsible for the man raping her. If she had enough faith, she would have known that God would never cause a man to rape her.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
This discussion reminds of a book I read about a year ago about a 19 year old woman was raped and became pregnant. She would not consider abortion as she was a Christian and pro-life. She felt God was punishing her. While I was reading that it occurred to me that if she thought God was really punishing her then God would have been responsible for the man raping her. If she had enough faith, she would have known that God would never cause a man to rape her.

But, by that logic, God wouldn't allow any evil things to happen. The idea that God gives us the ability to experience evil to show us the true good of goodness implies that he does evil to us.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Deity is us and we are Deity. If you have the view that the Divine runs through and is a part of us all then...when you blame "god" you blame yourself, and when you credit yourself you credit "god". It's all connected.

Though I can see how if you believe in a seperate entity as your god, and you have certain expectations of them, that you might perhaps find blame or fault when those expectations aren't met. Once you have had many disappointments when it comes to your expectations you may well find that you are the only one who will do any good for yourself, therefore if something good does happen you figure it must be you that did it since your god seems to have never helped before. It's the slow spiral of losing faith you could say.

Smoke

Done here.
If she had enough faith, she would have known that God would never cause a man to rape her.
Apparently, god would never stop a man from raping her, either. If I told you my neighbor was raped on her front lawn and I did nothing to stop it, just sat on my porch eating Cheetos and watching, you would think I was a monster.

She believed god was punishing her because it was easier for her to blame herself than for her to blame god. For god to treat her so badly, he must have had a very good reason.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
But, by that logic, God wouldn't allow any evil things to happen. The idea that God gives us the ability to experience evil to show us the true good of goodness implies that he does evil to us.

What I meant was that the man raped her not because God told him to but because he had some awful grudge against women enough to want to harm in the most intimate way possible (or some other reason).

tomspug

Absorbant
Apparently, god would never stop a man from raping her, either. If I told you my neighbor was raped on her front lawn and I did nothing to stop it, just sat on my porch eating Cheetos and watching, you would think I was a monster.

She believed god was punishing her because it was easier for her to blame herself than for her to blame god. For god to treat her so badly, he must have had a very good reason.
Or....

God must have had a good reason for letting the rapist rape the woman. Don't forget that God is the God of the rapist AND the victim. We tend to forget that.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
What would be an example of a "good reason" for letting someone be raped? By good, I mean one in which the same end could not be accomplished some other way by a presumably omnipotent or at least very powerful deity.