• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did you choose Deism?

I did not choose Deism, I found it. I have always believed as a Deist, with the exception that God does, sometimes, directly effect our lives.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Good Question, Queen. I think I leaned deistically in 2009, and I'm not sure I'd categorize myself there. I suppose I started at "Why is there something instead of nothing?", then, "Did something arise from something or from nothing?", then tentatively settled on something arising from a force or perhaps what is commonly called a deity, though I can't wrap my brain around the idea of an anthropomorphic deity. I also don't see a deity involved in daily events, though I'm open to it.

On a semi-related note, I enjoy listening to Christian radio occasionally, and I was listening to the words of a Bebo Norman song: "My God, My God, I cry out. Your beloved needs You now. God be near, calm my fear, and take my doubt." The passion of the words and tune made me think of all the instances of people crying out to God to help them, rescue them, save them, comfort them, and I wondered how many desperately cry out for something that either enjoys their suffering because it causes a deity to be needed, or is simply not there?

TheQueenCat

Animal Lover
Thank you for your additives in this thread Songbird.

There is something about me, its fascinating! If I live hard times, I pray to God. Later, I think I'm ingrate.. Its vicious circle. Have you some experiences like that?

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Thank you for your additives in this thread Songbird.

There is something about me, its fascinating! If I live hard times, I pray to God. Later, I think I'm ingrate.. Its vicious circle. Have you some experiences like that?

Haha, you're welcome for my additives! Made me smile. I must look at your profile again, see where you're from.

Hmmm, about the praying. I really haven't prayed sincerely in maybe over a year. I pray for my kids at night because my husband and I agreed to raise them as Christians before I lost my grip on religion. I understand what you're saying, though, and I think many feel the same way you do in forgetting the idea of God until a crisis or emergency.

I came to religion as a reaction against my perceived personal shortcomings. This made it easy for me to fall into seeking a way to "purify" myself through religion, and as such I entered into very traditional Christianity. Over time I read more and researched more, and started to realize that a lot of the things I was reading weren't things I could agree with. More and more I couldn't comprehend a God who was so paternalistic that he would meddle in our personal affairs while still claiming to offer us free moral choice. "Deism" for me is more the most accurate title to explain my religious leanings rather than a flat-out association with deistic beliefs.

erobinson25

I also had deistic thoughts for awhile, but recently came across the actually name for it. I knew I couldn't be the only one. I was a Christian but as I started delving deeper into it, I found things that didn't make since to me and when seeking answers have faith was the only one I got. I then started looking up answers on my own and the things i found blew me away. Especially how the christians borrowed so much from ancient civilations/religions, so to me it became just another mythology. I also can't come to terms with God interferring with our daily lives, that doesn't add up either, and God is always so personified, it just reeks of humans trying to define something that they have no true knowledge about. To conclude, deism provides the logic and reasoning that I need verses belief in myths and fairy tales.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The question is clear. Why are you Deist? and When? What is Deists's objectives?
I am a Deist simply because it fits my beliefs.
At one time I was a Southern Baptist youth director. As such, I endeavored to study the Bible in depth. This led to serious doubts about the validity of the Bible and what many Christians believed it said.
After reading Sagan's 'Demon Haunted World', along with books by Micheal Shermer and others, I wavered between atheism and agnosticism. Finally, after much soul-searching, I realized that a rational and reasonable approach to my belief in a deity had led me to a deistic faith.
My only objective is to learn about, and appreciate our natural world in order to come to a better understanding of God.

manc

I also had deistic thoughts for awhile, but recently came across the actually name for it. I knew I couldn't be the only one. I was a Christian but as I started delving deeper into it, I found things that didn't make since to me and when seeking answers have faith was the only one I got. I then started looking up answers on my own and the things i found blew me away. Especially how the christians borrowed so much from ancient civilations/religions, so to me it became just another mythology. I also can't come to terms with God interferring with our daily lives, that doesn't add up either, and God is always so personified, it just reeks of humans trying to define something that they have no true knowledge about. To conclude, deism provides the logic and reasoning that I need verses belief in myths and fairy tales.
very similar to my expereinces,although i dont claim to be a deist yet,i havent read enough about it,but from what i have read it seems very similar to my thinking.

Prodeism

I became a deist in the abyss. I was an atheist from as young as I can remember but after decades of studying atheism I found it philosophically unsound and became a deist. As a deist my ideas and insights from atheism have meaning.

I have this Deistic feeling already for a long time ago but I categorized myself as a Deist just the day before yesterday. :D Well, I chose Deism because it fits my beliefs. :)

Last edited:

egcroc

we're all stardust
I used to be a muslim before, I had a strong connection to God (you can say he was my co-pilot), I had no problem with the First Half of Islamic faith (La Ilah Ila Allah -there's no God but allah)... my problem however was with the second part (Mohammed Rasulu Allah - Muhammad is his messenger)... long story short- my main reason for leaving islam was Muhammed not God...

So when I started reading about atheism, I felt something was just not right, there is just too much majesty and complexity in the universe and life to be caused by merely blind chance, there has to be something else... and that's when I found deism, and it started to make sense, we don't have to confine ourselves in the narrow choice between contradictory irrational books or incomplete scientific theories... deism is probably the simplest belief; there's a Creator....

:camp:
Peace,

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I started leaning towards Deism about 20 years ago as I drifted away from the Eastern Orthodox Church (Roman Catholic before that). In the last few years I embraced Hinduism, but I've come to dislike the idea of, and believe in, a personal anthropomorphic God, with the attendant rituals. My (former) EO priest used to say about fasting that "God does not need the fast, man does". That can apply to any aspect. God doesn't need the prayers, rituals or worship, we do if it suits us. However, as egcroc said "there is just too much majesty and complexity in the universe and life to be caused by merely blind chance, there has to be something else".

UU_David

Deism was may natural state, and in my youth I tried to 'force' more truth than has actually been revealed.

When I relaxed my mind, and ended my obsession with having a nice label for my beliefs and spirituality, I returned to my true path to God; open minded Deism that accepts that I (and we) do not know all of the answers.

I consider myself a Deist but I attend a Unitarian Universalist Church; UU will be a home to people of any faith, from Christians to Atheists, Buddhists to Muslims.

I also practice Kriya Yoga; although I don't consider this a religous practice.

Last edited:

tatygirl90

I grew irritable and unsatisfied with the religion I had been brought up in. I couldn't stop seeing how it was used for bad and and I'm not sure exactly when or if I ever believed that Jesus was the savior. I commented to my friend once that I believe in the preachings of Christianity but not in Jesus himself. He told me then you aren't a Christian and I guess I wasn't.

I only found a name for my belief in the past three years. I think my beliefs align up with Deism the most though it's an ever changing process.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I'm guess I've always been a Deist (I never really believed in an intervening God; even back when I was a Christian), it's just taken me this long to finally realize such.

Northern Lights

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
I've been lot's of things; tried most of the big "off the shelf" religions (excepting Islam). Buddhism is/was the closest to some real truths that I could witness in my everyday experiences. But it wasn't perfect and still contains doctrines and assertions that I just cannot reconcile with.

But Deism is just a foundation of my faith and belief, on which all other seeking and 'trials' are built.

I firmly belief the Universe had to have had a 'first cause' and that it logically has to be something outside of our current scientific understanding. Something was 'started', of that I am sure. But I see my Deist god as more of a universal force or spirit; I have never as far as I can imagine (perhaps since age 5) believed in an intervening 'petty' god, as per the Abrahamic religions, who would be so concerned in the mundane points of humanity such as 'having the right paperwork' (sex before marriage), sexuality, etc. Those are human values, constructs.

Deism gives you a fundamental belief on which to build a positive outlook - look at this beautiful planet. Look at the wonders of nature. And we do not know what happens after our death. We tend to look at that as a negative aspect of our existance but actually it's wonderful. It's a sense of mystery. A surprise. We will find out one way or the other! .... but for now, we do not know.

Desim can be the foundation for a positive outlook, or a negative outlook. I've made my choice!

Atro

I think I really came into Deism only about a month ago.

I was raised as a Methodist, I didn't necessarily believe everyone full-heartedly and that kind of bothered me at first. When I started college a buddy of mine introduced me to the concept of Deism and I decided to explore it. As I read more and more about it I saw that it fit my beliefs more than anything.

There were just certain things about Christianity that I could not 100% wrap my mind around, but I always knew that I believed in a god or greater being of some sort.

I'm a new member here trying to explore the world of religion and learn more about what its all about!