• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did you choose Deism?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hello......!

I came to RF in 2012 as a theist with Christian 'ties'. As I read the opinions of so many other contributors I realised that I have the same status as a virus, a beetle, or a sparrow, and that the Creator does not feel the need to watch over .......... just me, or just us :)!!

Detached Creator-in-everything seems to sit with me, and so I feel like a PanDeist.

This released me completely from big C Christianity whilst freeing me to look again at Jesus and the last year of his life, and I found through G-Mark (for me) that he was one of the most beautiful (real) people to have lived, but that he never claimed to be nor was a God, only a tiny part of God, just like you. :)

I always did wander into houses of worship and prayer, regardless of their belief or creed, but I could never declare for any of them. I now walk into any place that will have me enter, but feel 'right' in them, without 'belonging' to them.

Peace.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Hello......!

I came to RF in 2012 as a theist with Christian 'ties'. As I read the opinions of so many other contributors I realised that I have the same status as a virus, a beetle, or a sparrow, and that the Creator does not feel the need to watch over .......... just me, or just us :)!!

Detached Creator-in-everything seems to sit with me, and so I feel like a PanDeist.

This released me completely from big C Christianity whilst freeing me to look again at Jesus and the last year of his life, and I found through G-Mark (for me) that he was one of the most beautiful (real) people to have lived, but that he never claimed to be nor was a God, only a tiny part of God, just like you. :)

I always did wander into houses of worship and prayer, regardless of their belief or creed, but I could never declare for any of them. I now walk into any place that will have me enter, but feel 'right' in them, without 'belonging' to them.

Peace.

I'm pretty much with you here. I refer to The Ultimate Cause, or Ground of Being, as God. But I don't see that as much like an ancient king with super-powers as like gravity. Perfect, Eternal, Changeless, it is the biggest, best image of God I am able to imagine.

By comparison, all the other religions seem like human efforts to reduce God down to something comprehensible and controllable.

I guess that makes me a Deist.

I never chose it, though. It just seemed obvious to me that this is the best I can do at imagining God.

Tom

Deidre

I think that Deism allows me to be me. Deism doesn't have any dogma or religious doctrine to adhere to, and not that religious dogma is always a negative thing, but often times, religion shapes a person in ways that he/she didn't think would happen. You get caught in the trappings of legalism, and our own personal worldview gets swallowed up by your religion. Deism also offers one a chance to apply reason to approaching the idea of a god. Unlike many religions that have centuries of pre-packaged ideas and views that one must accept hook, line and sinker, Deism is about applying your own ability to reason yourself to the conclusion that a deity may exist. I still have atheist moments, but Deism allows me to have doubts, too.

Can we ever be sure?