• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When childhood ends.................

kateyes

I grew up in the 1960's and while it wasn't a Leave it to Beaver childhood--it was very different than today. We rode our bicycles everywhere, walked to and from school, had forts in vacant lots, watched very little television, had chores to earn our weekly allowance.

When I was about 14 we were moving into a new house--the first day my parents took us to see the house we went past a large vacant field about 2 blocks from the house--there were alot of people in the field including police. When we got home it was on the news--the bodies of 2 little girls (8 and 10) had been found in the field-they had cut through the field as a short-cut walking home from school. The killer was eventually caught--(he had been sniffing model glue--which was a big thing in the late 60's). I count that as the end of childhood for me--everything changed. The next year I foolishly read Truman Capote's book "In Cold Blood" and spent the next year getting up after everyone-else was in bed--to make sure the house was locked up tight.

Do others have an event--that marked a turning point, a beginning of a different awareness and loss of trust.

Nanda

Polyanna
I was a bit older when it happened to me. When I was 22, I was waiting for a bus at the city bus plaza, holding my newborn son. As I looked around at the people standing near me, it suddenly occured to me, in a moment of shocking clarity, that any one of those people could potentially want to hurt me or my baby. It wasn't paranoia, because I didn't honestly believe that we were in any real danger, but the awareness of our own delicate position was suddenly there, where it hadn't been before.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
This is sort of different but it shows how vulnerable I feel. Last year, my country was rocked by an earthquake which measured 5.9 on the Richter scale. I know that some countries experience much more powerful quakes but it was the strongest we ever felt! I was so terrified! We are creatures of the land - the land represents stability. If the land moves out from under our feet, what will happen? We can't fly away to safety! My parents worked so hard to build their home and business and it's so scary to know that in a matter of moments, it can be taken away! Every morning, I pray that we will not have to endure any serious earthquakes. From time to time, we get little quakes. When I put everything into perspective, I know that everything we own is only temporary - it's only material. When we die we leave it behind so nothing is really ours! The universe gives us what we have but just as it was given, it can also be taken back. We should not grieve because it was never ours to begin with! I think of this to console myself. I should try to remember it more often because everytime I feel something move, I fear that it's an earthquake. Who is really guaranteed to live another second? I can only ask my Creator to guide me each moment...:meditate:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
kateyes said:
I grew up in the 1960's and while it wasn't a Leave it to Beaver childhood--it was very different than today. We rode our bicycles everywhere, walked to and from school, had forts in vacant lots, watched very little television, had chores to earn our weekly allowance.

When I was about 14 we were moving into a new house--the first day my parents took us to see the house we went past a large vacant field about 2 blocks from the house--there were alot of people in the field including police. When we got home it was on the news--the bodies of 2 little girls (8 and 10) had been found in the field-they had cut through the field as a short-cut walking home from school. The killer was eventually caught--(he had been sniffing model glue--which was a big thing in the late 60's). I count that as the end of childhood for me--everything changed. The next year I foolishly read Truman Capote's book "In Cold Blood" and spent the next year getting up after everyone-else was in bed--to make sure the house was locked up tight.

Do others have an event--that marked a turning point, a beginning of a different awareness and loss of trust.

Yes, but when I was much older.

That must have been awful for you - a dreadful experience.

With me, it was quite involved. I was born in Africa, and lived there 'till the age of 10. We children could do what we wanted (there was nowhere that was off limits -except for the dense forrest). People didn't even bother to lock front doors, they could afford to leave keys in the ignition, etc.

When we came back to europe, We lived in Belgium for awhile (and I was home schooled - so no experience of what other kids and their lives were like).

We then came to England, and lived deep in the country. Again, everyone was very easy-going etc..........My wife had been brought up in Gibraltar (close knit community as well, very old fashioned)..

When my older son was 14 (we had just moved to the house we are still in), we let him have a friend of his (from near our old house), to spend the week end.

There is a park five minutes walk from here; it is enormous, and incorporates a golf course, wooded areas, whatever.

My wife and I decided to take the two boys (along with our younger son who was 7) to the park, to play with an American (funnily enough) football - my son was a fan of Miami Dolphins!

So, we started off. Naturally the two older boys were anxious to go ahead, to go and play, while my wife and I followed them, with our younger lad.

When we got to the park, of course, we couldn't find the two boys. We searched everywhere, shouted, and naturally, started panicking...........

My wife, by now, had phoned the police. A police car came, and a couple of policemen; we explained what had happened, and they looked at us all surprised "You mean to say you let the two boys go ahead of you into the Park ?"

We said, "Well, yes; they are both 14, and they are sensible - we were following them etc....."

They looked at us in horror and told us that under no circumstance should children be allowed into the park unsupervised.

That was one great big Shock! maybe a bit late in life.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
When I was 19, our family dog had to be put to sleep. We had the dog (named Grunt, because of the way he barked) for around 14 years, and I was really close to him. This happened a few days after Christmas.

I insisted on being there when it happened. I didn't want Grunt, a family member, to die alone. I was the only one of my family of five. It was the hardest thing I had ever done; I'd never really known the death of someone close, and had no idea how to deal with it. I held him as the vet did it. I have no idea how I got through it.

I think the end of my childhood came about through a series of other events, but this was certainly a huge one.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
14, the start of GCSE, i was taking a sociology module, and the teacher inspired confidence in me. that was the time i started to become aware of myself, my abilities and my potential.

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
New Zealand in the 1960s was a little like the US in the 1940s. It was quiet, you could play where you liked, do what you liked. Played in the near by bush (forest in the US / UK), put pennies and ha'pennies on the train tracks (& got my backside kicked by the local traffic cop for it)!

During the summer holidays I'd get up before everyone else, eat breakfast and go swimming until dark.

I mourn that my children cannot have similar experiences, even here in a tiny village, deep in the middle of nowhere (which is just 50 kms from us) we are always conscious of the dangers that exist for kids nowadays. I wish they could have experienced a simpler time.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
That's a tough one. Many contend that I have yet to grow up!

I think the day that I was stabbed at a peace rally did it for me.

Aeiralo

Hmmm, it has to be sixth grade.

I was never popular in grade school, and often teased (as my sister knows too well, but sis, that wasn't the worst that you saw..).

The 'popular' girls decided to give me a makeover. New clothers, they straightened my hair, everything. It took two to three hours. Went home, was excited that I had new friends, etc. I went to bed that night fairly happy...

The next day was good, everyone said I looked cute. My new 'friends' hung out with me.

The day after that, however, as my hair got curly and the makeup off, no one liked me anymore.

That's when I realised people use people, no matter what. I don't think I've fully trusted ANYONE since then.