• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your take on suffering and pain?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Just because I can't help myself to not mention it here.......

Back here in Belgium, Damien's native country, another version of that story lives.
As the story goes, this version says he didn't exactly go out of free will, but was forced to by the church leadership and going to live in Molakai was actually a punishment for his perversions. It was sold to the public as his own choice to make the catholic church look good.

It's near impossible to demonstrate off course. Back then the catholic church had such a hard grip on communities that it's impossible to back it up with verifiable evidence.

It nevertheless is a version of the story that has always existed in his home town for more then a century.
I'll once more will repeat that there is no verifiable evidence of the above. However, the public story WE know, is the version as presented by the church off course. So I'ld take that PR with a grain of salt in either case.

Another thing though that CAN be verified, by Damien's own hand since it comes from his letters he sent to his family, is that Damien wasn't that pure of a human being. He was heavily racist and paternalistic. His motivations for the work he did in Hawai were rather questionable, in the beginning at least. He refers to the natives as savages and immoral people, for no other reason then the color of their skin and the fact that they weren't christians, among other things.

Later on in life his demeanor changed the longer he lived there, realizing his prejudice wasn't accurate and that these people were just friendly humans as much as the next guy back home.

I'm just saying, people tend to put such guys like Damien on a pedestal, presenting them as all loving and worthy of the title "holy" and what-not.
In reality, they really weren't like that. If you actually read about his character, the kind of person he actually was in every-day life... if such a figure lived today we would probably consider him very obnoxious, racist, mysoginistic and an overall very annoying and arrogant person.

In his defense, after a few years in Hawai he got humbled and indeed did some good work there. At the same time, imo his motivations even then were kind of corrupt.
His main concern wasn't to elevate suffering for the lepra victims. It was to sell them christianity and get them to convert. Not that his help for them was conditional on that though, which is a good thing. Nevertheless, I think motivations matter. Especially when we are going to hold such people up as examples of supposed altruism and self-sacrifice.

I'll once more will repeat that there is no verifiable evidence of the above. However, the public story WE know, is the version as presented by the church off course. So I'ld take that PR with a grain of salt in either case.

Even if the story could be debunked as false or flawed, the concept of one who joins in the suffering of others speaks volumes and points to Jesus. His motives are pure, his suffering a choice, and his redemption complete for those who believe in him.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
What's your take on the suffering of Jesus? Christians believe that there's one God whose answer to suffering is personal... he became a human and suffered too. So in our religion, God is not distant from suffering, not the cause of suffering (retribution), but entered into it with us.

Which doesn't really make sense if we look into it. What's more productive? Partaking in the suffering or actually getting rid of it for good?

What's more productive? Partaking in the suffering or actually getting rid of it for good?
Christianity is based on Jesus doing both: sharing our suffering and eliminating it when he returns.

His resurrection provides evidence for our hope that the "getting rid of it for good" is coming.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Even if the story could be debunked as false or flawed, the concept of one who joins in the suffering of others speaks volumes and points to Jesus.

Not if it was indeed the case that he was forced to go there as a punishment instead of out of his own free will for the purpose of "helping the suffering".

And regardless, you can't say of someone that he "joins the suffering" if his motivations aren't to actually "join the suffering" and / or help them.

His motives are pure, his suffering a choice, and his redemption complete for those who believe in him.
Regardless, his motivations definitely weren't pure. Just like "mother" Theresa's motivations weren't pure.
The didn't do what they did to elevate suffering of those that suffered. Theresa was even worse then Damien as she actually believed that suffering was holy and a good thing. Which is why the sick in her "hospitals" were left to die on wooden planks instead of beds with actual medical care eventhough her "hospitals" should have been state-of-the-art considering the many millions, if not billions, she received in donations from around the world.

As for Damien, his primary goal in Hawai was to convert people - his own words, in his letters.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Despite the many evils perpetrated by people claiming to be Christian, does Jesus represent a compassionate response to suffering?

Jesus was betrayed, falsely accused, arrested on trumped-up charges, beaten, mocked, and brutally killed. His dearest friends deserted and disowned him. Father Damien did what he did to be like Jesus, because "God does not merely empathize with our suffering; he has experienced it firsthand."
Jesus does not represent anything except the thinking of his people around the beginning of Christian era. We know nothing about him, what he said or for what purpose he was doing what it is believed that he was doing. All stories were concocted later and edited many times.
No God's empathy has helped humans. Wars, disasters, deprivations happen as always.
Suffering and pain are part of life, bear them, try to navigate wisely to avoid them.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Abdirak thinks pain is healthy and good for you as well as a lot of fun, both giving and receiving

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
What's your take on the suffering of Jesus?
Why would a God torture and kill a person to create a change that could have happened without it? God is either incompetent, or a sociopath.

That many Christians take this story literally and overlook the criminal act should make us concerned how moral these believers are. Don't forget it was Christians who executed people for witchcraft until the citizens rose up in protest. It was Christians who committed the Holocaust.

I suggest Christians stop being indoctrinated by their dogma and start looking at the ideas in their religion symbolically instead of literally.
Christians believe that there's one God whose answer to suffering is personal... he became a human and suffered too. So in our religion, God is not distant from suffering, not the cause of suffering (retribution), but entered into it with us.
The whole Jesus story is a crude Rube Goldberg invention. It make no sense literally. Those living in 2024 struggle to reconcile the absurd concepts taught to them by other Christians with science and facts. It's self-inflicted pain and suffering. How can a person find peace when their beliefs are contrary to reality?

If Christians are disstressed and need illusion to help themselves cope then fine. But living in such an illusion as a way of life IS pain and suffering, as it inevitably creates a victim mindset where the believer can seldom find peace, nor engage life realistically.

Ignatius A

Given that severe suffering and pain impact so many people in the world and throughout history, what's your take on how a deity should/would respond?

I'm drawn to the story of Father Damien (it's the 150th anniversary of his ministry):

At his own request, Father Damien, a Roman Catholic priest, was assigned to a leper colony on Molokai Island, Hawaii, in 1873. The colony had no medical doctor or priest to care for them. Father Damien’s motivation for going was simple: he couldn’t imagine people living out their last days in isolation with no one to care for them. With profound empathy, he did everything for the members of the colony—he bathed them, dressed festering ulcers, built coffins, dug graves, and held worship services. He served the colony for twelve years. One Sunday, everything changed. Father Damien stood in front of the congregation of lepers and opened his robes to show the first signs of leprosy. He began his sermon with the words, “We lepers.” (from "The God Conversation" by JP Moreland)

Would you agree with a deconstructed (former?) Christian I know who said the best advice for suffering is "to sit with it" and avoid "tidy sayings" of religion?
Father Damien's story brought tears to my eyes. Does it impact you? Why do you think that is?

Despite the many evils perpetrated by people claiming to be Christian, does Jesus represent a compassionate response to suffering?

Jesus was betrayed, falsely accused, arrested on trumped-up charges, beaten, mocked, and brutally killed. His dearest friends deserted and disowned him. Father Damien did what he did to be like Jesus, because "God does not merely empathize with our suffering; he has experienced it firsthand." (Moreland)

How does that perspective on suffering land with you? Would love to hear your thoughts...
I have struggled for a long time with trying to understand why people are so focused pain and suffering and almost suggesting we shouldn't have to deal with it. Then they create stories that a "loving" God wouldn't allow pain and suffering. Jesus is pretty clear you can't follow him if you don't suffer. To be a christian is to experience pain and suffering. We usually think of physical or emotional pain and suffering but following Jesus is painful in a different and more difficult way. Love your enemy, dont lie chest steal etc etc goes against our very human nature. To reign in our own passions and not do whatever we like is pain and suffering of a far more unpleasant type. Especially these days with sex and then internet etc etc. Refrain from those and see how much pain and suffering there really is. Sometimes pain is necessary for growth or our improvement. Think physical therapy. Pain and suffering as necessary to reach heaven.

Jagella

Given that severe suffering and pain impact so many people in the world and throughout history, what's your take on how a deity should/would respond?
An all-good, all-knowing, and all-powerful deity would not need to respond to pain and suffering because she wouldn't allow it to begin with.
I'm drawn to the story of Father Damien (it's the 150th anniversary of his ministry):

At his own request, Father Damien, a Roman Catholic priest, was assigned to a leper colony on Molokai Island, Hawaii, in 1873. The colony had no medical doctor or priest to care for them. Father Damien’s motivation for going was simple: he couldn’t imagine people living out their last days in isolation with no one to care for them. With profound empathy, he did everything for the members of the colony—he bathed them, dressed festering ulcers, built coffins, dug graves, and held worship services. He served the colony for twelve years. One Sunday, everything changed. Father Damien stood in front of the congregation of lepers and opened his robes to show the first signs of leprosy. He began his sermon with the words, “We lepers.” (from "The God Conversation" by JP Moreland)

Would you agree with a deconstructed (former?) Christian I know who said the best advice for suffering is "to sit with it" and avoid "tidy sayings" of religion?
We should all "sit" with those who suffer to ease their pain hoping that some day when we suffer somebody will be with us.
Father Damien's story brought tears to my eyes. Does it impact you? Why do you think that is?
He basically had the right idea, but I just hope he didn't inflict suffering on others via his religion.
Despite the many evils perpetrated by people claiming to be Christian...
Why assume they merely claimed to be Christians? Do you privilege Stalinists the same way by assuming those Stalinists who did evil were actually not "true" Stalinists? If we see Christianity for what it is, then the sooner we can rid the world of its evils.
...does Jesus represent a compassionate response to suffering?
No. Jesus revealed his true motive in John 9:
9 Now as Jesus passed by, He saw a man who was blind from birth. 2 And His disciples asked Him, saying, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

3 Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him.
See that? The purpose of Jesus's healing people was to show off God's power! That's not compassion. To strike a man blind from birth to allow Jesus to heal the man to attract followers is wicked.
Jesus was betrayed, falsely accused, arrested on trumped-up charges, beaten, mocked, and brutally killed. His dearest friends deserted and disowned him. Father Damien did what he did to be like Jesus, because "God does not merely empathize with our suffering; he has experienced it firsthand." (Moreland)
Actually, God demanded that his son suffer and die because God cannot "forgive" otherwise. The God of the Bible, if he exists, causes suffering. Why laud something like that?
How does that perspective on suffering land with you? Would love to hear your thoughts...
Again, suffering is the Bible God's means to control people. The message is bow to me and stoke my ego, or you will suffer even more than you already are.

Jagella

Life is pain.
Much of life can be painful, but generally life is good.
Its not something that can be escaped so my take is adaption and acceptance.
If we cannot change what hurts us, then yes, we may need to adapt to it. But people seem to me to give up on doing anything about suffering especially when others suffer. If we would get off of our lazy, uncaring duffs, and help others, then we can rid the world of a lot of suffering.