• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what's your spiritual reading on a succesion of crows I saw

amorphous_constellation

So today while walking I saw a succession of crows. It occurred to me to count them, though I didn't even know that counting crows had magical significance until I looked it up just now.

So I saw them in 3 instances, several hundred yards apart. They all appeared on my left.

The first was a group of 3 hopping about, this trio appeared near me on a knoll.

The next was on a tree, eyeing me until I was about to go beyond it, when it then flew toward its three friends

The next was a pair, oddly grazing about in the middle of a field. I was able to get quite close to these two

So that makes a total of 6 , though that might not be important

----

None of them cawed while I was near them. Only when I got up around some deer, who perhaps caused them to caw when they moved off my path

Perhaps insignificantly, I later saw a woodpecker and a cardinal while sitting on a log, and was startled by dozens of pigeons that flew into the trees as I forded a hill

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
So today while walking I saw a succession of crows. It occurred to me to count them, though I didn't even know that counting crows had magical significance until I looked it up just now.

So I saw them 3 instances, several hundred yards apart. They all appeared on my left.

The first was a group of 3 hopping about, this trio appeared near me on a knoll.

The next was on a tree, eyeing me until I was about to go beyond it, when it in then flew toward its three friends

The next was a pair, oddly grazing about in the middle of a field. I was able to get quite close to these two

----

None of them cawed while I was near them. Only when I got up around some deer, who perhaps caused them to caw when they moved off my path

Perhaps insignificantly, I later saw a woodpecker and a cardinal while sitting on a log, and was startled by dozens of pigeons that flew into the trees as I forded a hill

I remember walking in nature -there isn't much nature here in the city. Thanks for the fond memory.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Sometimes a crow is just a crow.

Is there any particular reason that this particular day, these particular crows should be of any particular interest or meaning to you?

What you describe sounds to me like a typical walk through the countryside, and typical behavior of crows and other birds.

If you find it meaningful, it probably is. But to me it's pretty much like analyzing dreams...pretty much the meaning is up to the dreamer...

Maybe you're just more open to noticing them today...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Seeing crows is not uncommon. I would attribute you noticing them today to a cognitive bias called Baader-Meinhof phenomenon. After seeing the first group, your mind, unbeknownst to you, began looking for them.

amorphous_constellation

Maybe you're just more open to noticing them today...

Well, a thing is.. I think I was sort of thinking about crows before I set out on a walk, since yesterday on facebook someone posted this witty meme about crows I had stuck in my head.

I got pretty close to the two crows I was talking about actually, I don't think I've gotten quite as close before

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

So I saw them 3 instances, several hundred yards apart. They all appeared on my left.

The next was on a tree, eyeing me until I was about to go beyond it, when it in then flew toward its three friends

----

I live opposite a farm so see them everyday,I don't see them as portents of stuff happening though.

amorphous_constellation

Seeing crows is not uncommon. I would attribute you noticing them today to a cognitive bias called Baader-Meinhof phenomenon. After seeing the first group, your mind, unbeknownst to you, began looking for them.

They really kind of come and go around here, and they are kinda strange birds, ya know. Never really appearing in the same spot or in the same number.

corvids show up a lot in european based mythologies, though mainly ravens I think... I don't know what their significance is in Hinduism, but they seem pretty important somehow in european myth or magic in what seem like many different ways. I wasn't aware that counting crows was significant until I looked it up after the walk

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Crows and ravens tend to live in different kinds of territory, and while filling similar ecological roles, do have some differences in their patterns of behavior. However, from the indigenous literature I'm familiar with, both often hold a role as a trickster...as they do in real life, if one reads up on them.

We have a family of crows that's nested near our house for the last several years. I occasionally caw at them, but they don't seem to talk back, although sometimes they do watch me.

I've talked about setting up a platform so I can put out some treats for them, and maybe they'll bring me gifts back, as I've heard about in some articles.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

So I saw them in 3 instances, several hundred yards apart. They all appeared on my left.

The next was on a tree, eyeing me until I was about to go beyond it, when it then flew toward its three friends

----

----

Crows are a bad omen, a trio of them symbolizes death. The individual crow represents the death of somebody who is a close individual acquaintance of yours. The pair of crows represent the deaths of a married couple who are both close acquaintances of yours.

Last edited: