• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Your Classical Greek Philosophy?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It put me at 100% Platonist, even though that's not actually possible for me as, among other things, I don't see art as this terrible thing that isn't actually real and that has no place in a proper society.
The 96% Stoic though I agree with, but maybe not that strongly either.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Come on @Terese. the dark side is fun. you're missing out. :D
11410468_1647926362086850_798197779_n.jpg

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
100% Epicurean

Epicureanism is a system of philosophy based upon the teachings of the ancient Greek philosopher Epicurus, founded around 307 BC. Epicurus was an atomic materialist, following in the steps of Democritus. His materialism led him to a general attack on superstition and divine intervention. Following Aristippus—about whom very little is known—Epicurus believed that what he called "pleasure" was the greatest good, but that the way to attain such pleasure was to live modestly, to gain knowledge of the workings of the world, and to limit one's desires. This would lead one to attain a state of tranquility (ataraxia) and freedom from fear as well as an absence of bodily pain (aponia). The combination of these two states constitutes happiness in its highest form. Although Epicureanism is a form of hedonism insofar as it declares pleasure to be its sole intrinsic goal, the concept that the absence of pain and fear constitutes the greatest pleasure, and its advocacy of a simple life, make it very different from "hedonism" as it is colloquially understood.

Lunavulpea

Platonist (100%)
Pythagorean (94%)
Stoic (70%)
Socratic (49%)
Cynic (47%)
Epicurean (43%)
Cyrenaeic (hedonist) (12%)
bar-1.jpg
Sophist (0%)

Jumi

Platonist 100%
Pythagorean 85%
Stoic 85%
Socratic 64%
Cynic 60%
Epicurean 50%
Sophist 10%
Hedonist 0%

Mostly picked no preference.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Stoic (100%)
Socratic (81%)
Cynic (77%)
Platonist (54%)
Pythagorean (47%)
Epicurean (34%)
Sophist (8%)
bar-1.jpg
Cyrenaeic (hedonist) (0%)

Epicurean was higher than I expected. Can't say I'm well versed in greek thought.

"Can't say I'm well versed in greek thought."

Don't worry, it functions a lot like everyone else's thinking just with more Greek flavoring to it, you know more oregano, parsley, thyme, etc.

Last edited:

Mindmaster

Premium Member
@Rival

100% Cynic, Sophist, and Cyrenaeic (hedonist)
60% Socratic
40% Epicurean

Makes sense though, Satanist after all. :D The rest were zero, but logically - I do not believe in the mystical ramifications of the Pythagorean school of thought and Platonism is philosophically opposed to Sophism. :D

The hedonist and Epicurean ideals are really close too, the only difference is that Epicurus stopped short of the full enjoyment of pleasure (finding that "too much was intoxication"), and the Cyrenaeic school seen that as absolutely no problem. I just don't believe in self-loathing or being guilty for enjoying life, I guess.

Obviously, I like to argue and I spend a great deal of time teaching people things. Sophism and Socratic philosophy are pretty interwoven as well, the only difference really is that Socrates thought it was wrong to charge for wisdom and he took a much more humble posture by refusing cash. Of course, the Sophists were the instructors to the noblemen at the time, so it makes sense why Socrates would have been pissed - they were making all of the money. :D

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Socratic (100%)
Stoic (98%)
Platonist (89%)
Cynic (59%)
Pythagorean (56%)
Epicurean (49%)
Sophist (17%)
Hedonist (0%)

Lucky it didn't ask me if I was an atheist. I'm sure hedonist would have automatically jumped to 100%.
;)