• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

whats your beef with brexit?

LionLooking

Nothing much will change apart from giving a whole lot of money for nothing.
I got my tax return this week which showed where my taxes were spent.
The smallest contribution (less than 1%) went towards our EU membership, which brings us many benefits.
Almost twice as much went on overseas aid,
More than twice as much went on street light and such - and they're turned off most of the time!
300% more was spent on administering the Government in Westminster,
And 800% more was spent on our national debt.

This 'huge amount of money' we 'waste on the EU' is a tiny portion of the whole pot and it brings more in than we let out.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I got my tax return this week which showed where my taxes were spent.
The smallest contribution (less than 1%) went towards our EU membership, which brings us many benefits.
Almost twice as much went on overseas aid,
More than twice as much went on street light and such - and they're turned off most of the time!
300% more was spent on administering the Government in Westminster,
And 800% more was spent on our national debt.

This 'huge amount of money' we 'waste on the EU' is a tiny portion of the whole pot and it brings more in than we let out.

So what are these abundance of benefits to the man on the street?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I don't think the eu will be a thing in 10 years and as for trade, one thing our country is a good customer so I don't see us being shut out.

Largely we will shut ourselves out, by producing goods that do no meet, or are not made, to EU conditions and standards. Even the USA has to fall into line and meet the standards, or the goods are locked out.
We will be stuck with their regulations, like it or not. And we not have a say in them in the future as we now do.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Largely we will shut ourselves out, by producing goods that do no meet, or are not made, to EU conditions and standards. Even the USA has to fall into line and meet the standards, or the goods are locked out.
We will be stuck with their regulations, like it or not. And we not have a say in them in the future as we now do.
This is something that has concerned me. If we want to sell to the EU you have to meet their standards, which in general are high. So UK manufacturers will have to maintain standards to sell to the EU; but is it worth having alternative production lines to produce poorer quality stuff so we can sell to non-EU countries?
Also in return it sound like the US will be able to send us beef dosed in antibiotics and chlorinated chicken - both of which are currently illegal in UK.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

How much do they actually buy from us versus how much we buy from them,we buy plenty.

LionLooking

So what are these abundance of benefits to the man on the street?

OK - here's a few:
  1. The freedom to live, work and retire anywhere you wish in the EU
  2. Job security. A report by the Centre for Economics and Business Research, found that 3.1 million British jobs depend on the UK’s exports to the EU
  3. Freedom to travel. Holidays abroad will become much more expensive after Brexit and the right to free emergency healthcare whilst on holiday we currently enjoy, will no longer apply
  4. Customer protection. The EU’s consumer rights ensure we are not ripped off if buying things from member states. We also have the EUs cap on mobile roaming charges
  5. Safety. Cooperation between EU states protects us from terrorists, paedophiles, gangsters and other criminals
  6. Economics. The CBI estimates that the net benefit of EU membership is worth 4-5% of GDP to the UK, or £78 billion per year
  7. International influence. Our membership of the EU makes us an important world player. Once we leave we will be relegated to a medium sized and less significant country
  8. Influence on EU policy. As the third largest EU nation, the UK has enormous influence on the institution. If you want to change something, do it from within - not from without
  9. Cheaper shopping. Once outside the EU our import costs will rise dramatically and the price of shopping will go up
  10. Abundance of workers. Professions which are short of staff (healthcare especially) rely on EU workers to keep going. Without them staff shortages will increase
For the 'man on the street', his job, the cost of living and the services he relies on will all suffer outside the EU

Altfish

Veteran Member

Altfish

Veteran Member
They are by far our biggest customers now.... how much further do we want our balance of trade to fall into the red.

It looks like our banks and financial services providers are moving operations to Europe already.
Banks moving to Europe is definitely happening; the Tories paid off Nissan and Honda to stop them going - but this was all "Project Fear", and would never happen.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
In 2016 43% of UK exports went to EU countries; 54% of our imports are from EU countries
Trade with EU has been declining since about 2000, we do increasingly more trade with rest of the world. This is the trade that we are not allowed to do until we leave the EU?????

Link
Everything you might want to know about the UK's trade with the EU

If our trade is already declining now, how much more will it do so when we no longer have the advantage of free trade with them.?

What is this trade that we are not allowed to do with the rest of the world? If that were so, we could not be doing it.

Members of the EU can trade with who ever they like... now and always...

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Banks moving to Europe is definitely happening; the Tories paid off Nissan and Honda to stop them going - but this was all "Project Fear", and would never happen.

Last week the major Japanese companies in the UK had a meeting with May in Downing street. They made it clear that they would have to move their investments if they no longer had free trade with Europe. That sounds like both trade and jobs would take a serious hit. if she keeps to her present plans.

Altfish

Veteran Member
If our trade is already declining now, how much more will it do so when we no longer have the advantage of free trade with them.?

What is this trade that we are not allowed to do with the rest of the world? If that were so, we could not be doing it.

Members of the EU can trade with who ever they like... now and always...
Re the bit in BOLD.
I was being facetious! Once again a lie by the Leave campaign

Altfish

Veteran Member
Last week the major Japanese companies in the UK had a meeting with May in Downing street. They made it clear that they would have to move their investments if they no longer had free trade with Europe. That sounds like both trade and jobs would take a serious hit. if she keeps to her present plans.
But that's PROJECT FEAR:screamcat: - it can never happen:shrug:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
What seems strange is that many those areas that voted strongly to leave, are the same areas likely to be hit the hardest by the loss of employment when the Japanese investments move to Europe.
Turkeys voting for Christmas comes to mind.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Soros has tried to cripple the UK before you know.
No, he took advantage of the free market, as capitalists do. He made loads of money by gambling correctly, a shame that the Government of the day were not more competent.
A bit like today.