• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's wrong with sex?

science_is_my_god

Philosophical Monist
The other night I was watching television. I saw a TV commercial that, in my opinion, was a piece of heavily biased, misleading propaganda. It talked about parents being involved in theirs kids' lives to promote positive behaviour. Blah blah blah.:rolleyes:

Anyways, the main focus was "telling your kids to wait to have sex." Wait? Wait for what? Marriage? Eighteen? Why? I of course, being the big scary anti-religionistic atheist, had a big rant in front of my TV about how the whole "sex is bad" message is a bunch of Christian propaganda. I mean, yeah, two 8 year olds shouldn't be experimenting, that's psychologically damaging, but I mean come on.

When I have kids someday, I for one don't want my television telling me how to raise my kids. Teens mature sexually at different rates, and, besides, sex is a beautiful thing. It can be a sacred bond, or at the very least, a great stress reliever if conducted in a safe, healthy way.

Now I know what most of you are thinking, "What about babies? What about STD's?" Well, what about them? I'll bet a hundred bucks your kids have heard and understand the dangers of that stuff. Why? Public schools. They cram all that crap down kids' throughts by like age 10. Why is it that we can teach our kids about AIDS and condoms at age 10, and then forbid them to have sex for almost a whole decade?

I dunno, to me, when a teen feels ready for sex, they are ready. Even if they are not, I am a firm believer in the lessons learned from trial and error. Am I the only one out there that holds this radical, "politically incorrect" view? I would love to hear thoughts and insight on this topic.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I think kids are going to have secks if they want to even if you tell them not to. I don't have secks, because I don't want to, but if I did want to, I'm sure I would have done it by now. I think a lot of parents don't want their kids to have secks, because they think of it as a grown up activity, and want their kids to be babies forever. Personally, I don't care what anyone does about secks. I don't want any, but everyone else can do whatever they want.

Draka

Wonder Woman
The other night I was watching television. I saw a TV commercial that, in my opinion, was a piece of heavily biased, misleading propaganda. It talked about parents being involved in theirs kids' lives to promote positive behaviour. Blah blah blah.:rolleyes:

Anyways, the main focus was "telling your kids to wait to have sex." Wait? Wait for what? Marriage? Eighteen? Why? I of course, being the big scary anti-religionistic atheist, had a big rant in front of my TV about how the whole "sex is bad" message is a bunch of Christian propaganda. I mean, yeah, two 8 year olds shouldn't be experimenting, that's psychologically damaging, but I mean come on.

When I have kids someday, I for one don't want my television telling me how to raise my kids. Teens mature sexually at different rates, and, besides, sex is a beautiful thing. It can be a sacred bond, or at the very least, a great stress reliever if conducted in a safe, healthy way.

Now I know what most of you are thinking, "What about babies? What about STD's?" Well, what about them? I'll bet a hundred bucks your kids have heard and understand the dangers of that stuff. Why? Public schools. They cram all that crap down kids' throughts by like age 10. Why is it that we can teach our kids about AIDS and condoms at age 10, and then forbid them to have sex for almost a whole decade?

I dunno, to me, when a teen feels ready for sex, they are ready. Even if they are not, I am a firm believer in the lessons learned from trial and error. Am I the only one out there that holds this radical, "politically incorrect" view? I would love to hear thoughts and insight on this topic.

I really don't see much wrong with using the message to wait. Thing is, they don't say for what. I see explaining sex and personal and physical relations to your child as an important thing and using the message to wait until they fully feel they are ready for such an in-depth act. How long that is is dependent upon the individual child. However, expressly making the point to wait until they are ready is the important thing. To let them know that they should never allow anyone to pressure them into it if they don't feel it is right for them. That a girlfriend or boyfriend who pressures them in anyway when they aren't ready is not a suitable person to be in a healthy relationship with. Let them know there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying no and if their SO has a problem with it then that is the problem of the SO, not your child's.

Raised well, openly, and with these standards, children will more likely find it easier to go a bit longer before making the jump to a more mature way to act, and hopefully a bit better equipped to handle any possible repercussions.

I think kids are going to have secks if they want to even if you tell them not to. I don't have secks, because I don't want to, but if I did want to, I'm sure I would have done it by now. I think a lot of parents don't want their kids to have secks, because they think of it as a grown up activity, and want their kids to be babies forever. Personally, I don't care what anyone does about secks. I don't want any, but everyone else can do whatever they want.

The words is sex Hannah. Sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex. Sex is not a bad word. There is no reason in the world to purposely mispell it like you do all the time. It's just sex. To purposely change the spelling of it is to give the illusion that there is something bad about it. There isn't. And if you feel that way about sex to the point that you can't even bring yourself to spell the word correctly then perhaps you need to deal with some issues. Until then, if you find yourself in a conversation about sex and you just can't bring yourself to write the word correctly then at least say "it" instead because seeing your intentional mispelling of a harmless word all the time is getting rather old.

tomspug

Absorbant
There's a good side and a bad side to making your own mistakes (something I have a knack for). On the good side, if you learn a lesson you learn it well. The bad side, you have to live with the consequences of your mistake.

For teenagers having sex, the consequences can be horrible. Maybe it doesn't seem so bad for men, but girls who get pregnant in high school (or younger) pretty much go through hell, especially if they are willing to keep the baby.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't see anything wrong with older teens having consensual sex provided they do so responsibly. I am however a staunch opponent of irresponsible sex -- which I take to be sex between or involving a Republican.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
I don't see anything wrong with older teens having consensual sex provided they do so responsibly. I am however a staunch opponent of irresponsible sex -- which I take to be sex between or involving a Republican.
This is one of those few tongue in cheek posts you make I agree with. The most irresponsible sex of all is unprotected sex involving a Republican.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
This is one of those few tongue in cheek posts you make I agree with. The most irresponsible sex of all is unprotected sex involving a Republican.
It is apparent that you and Sunstone just haven't experienced sex with the right Republician yet........I'm sure you would change your opinion.....;)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
It is apparent that you and Sunstone just haven't experienced sex with the right Republician yet........I'm sure you would change your opinion.....;)
Maybe eventually but until they start making Republicans who understand that "War" is not a type of economy I'm sticking with liberal mystics.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Science_is_my_god,

There is nothing wrong in doing anything [including sex] anyone feels like except that he/she should do so with full consciousness which means taking full responsibility of the action and its effects.
That is what any mature individual should be doing.
Love & rgds

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Maybe eventually but until they start making Republicans who understand that "War" is not a type of economy I'm sticking with liberal mystics.
Some Republicians make love, not war....and not all of us were "Bush" overs....or shall I say Push overs......;)

Jeremy Mason

I'm sorry, positive behavior is heavily biased, misleading propaganda?

Anyways, the main focus was "telling your kids to wait to have sex." Wait? Wait for what? Marriage? Eighteen? Why? I of course, being the big scary anti-religionistic atheist, had a big rant in front of my TV about how the whole "sex is bad" message is a bunch of Christian propaganda.

Wow, I live in the world capital of christian broadcasting, CO Springs for 40 years and I have never seen a Christian commercial or any broadcast for that matter regard the "Sex is bad" position. I wonder if the words "sex is bad" were even in the commercial.

I mean, yeah, two 8 year olds shouldn't be experimenting, that's psychologically damaging, but I mean come on.

When I was eight years old, we called it playing doctor. ;)

That is surely one side of the coin...

Now I know what most of you are thinking, "What about babies? What about STD's?" Well, what about them?

Questions your children might be asking you. Hopefully before they "experiment".

I'll bet a hundred bucks your kids have heard and understand the dangers of that stuff. Why? Public schools. They cram all that crap down kids' throughts by like age 10.

Those evil pranksters! :sarcastic

Why is it that we can teach our kids about AIDS and condoms at age 10, and then forbid them to have sex for almost a whole decade?

Good question. I promote providing children with all the relevant tools in preparing them for adulthood including STD prevention, child rearing as well as the emotional and spiritual benefits of responsible sex.

I dunno, to me, when a teen feels ready for sex, they are ready. Even if they are not, I am a firm believer in the lessons learned from trial and error.

The school of hard knocks is effective, but not necessary.

mohe3439

Lord of Ents
Kids are aware of their bodies and should be allowed to have sex when they want. Though this is said there should be some age groups in which it is legal to have sex because a thirty year old shouldn't be doing a fourteen yearold.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
The words is sex Hannah. Sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex. Sex is not a bad word. There is no reason in the world to purposely mispell it like you do all the time. It's just sex. To purposely change the spelling of it is to give the illusion that there is something bad about it. There isn't. And if you feel that way about sex to the point that you can't even bring yourself to spell the word correctly then perhaps you need to deal with some issues. Until then, if you find yourself in a conversation about sex and you just can't bring yourself to write the word correctly then at least say "it" instead because seeing your intentional mispelling of a harmless word all the time is getting rather old.

Owch... My feelings... :(

Did you notice that I spell lots of words wrong on purpose? such as "egscited" and "Pic-cha" I didn't know my misspellings were bothering anyone.

But if you'd like, we can talk about hot steamy sex and I'll spell it completely right from now on if I know you will be around to see it.

Jeremy Mason

Kids are aware of their bodies and should be allowed to have sex when they want. Though this is said there should be some age groups in which it is legal to have sex because a thirty year old shouldn't be doing a fourteen yearold.

article-0-015CF78800000578-471_468x589.jpg

Trey of Diamonds

The only problem with sex is the dangers and lets face it, the dangers are many. I do think that too many people today take the easy way out and try to stop young adults from having sex because its really hard to communicate the dangers to them. When you're young you tend to think you're invincible and bad things happen to other people.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I dont see anything wrong with promoting "waiting" and WHY..

"you arent married and you shoud be married first" Is NOT one of the reasons though.

Love

Dallas

science_is_my_god

Philosophical Monist
I'm sorry, positive behavior is heavily biased, misleading propaganda?
This is the very point I am trying to debate. Are you insinuating that sex at age 16-17 is negative behaviour? If so, how do you base such a conclusion?

Wow, I live in the world capital of christian broadcasting, CO Springs for 40 years and I have never seen a Christian commercial or any broadcast for that matter regard the "Sex is bad" position. I wonder if the words "sex is bad" were even in the commercial.
I openly admit that it was NOT a christian broadcast, only that it promotes a message that happens to be a Christian message. And, no generalizations here, Christians DO (or are at least supposed to) take a "wait until marriage" stance on sex. Jeremy, open up your bible, and I will give you plenty of chapters and verses that supports this.

When I was eight years old, we called it playing doctor. ;)
Man, when I was eight, I was too busy playing mario on my NES.:D

That is surely one side of the coin...
But just as valid as the other...

Good question. I promote providing children with all the relevant tools in preparing them for adulthood including STD prevention, child rearing as well as the emotional and spiritual benefits of responsible sex.
Define "children." Define "adulthood."

The school of hard knocks is effective, but not necessary.
Yet still effective...:D