• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's wrong with infanticide?

Ponder This

So one reason to ponder infanticide is in its relation to abortion and late termination of pregnancy. Ultimately, the key question is: at what point does an entity (with the potential to become a person) become a person, and why? And following on from that, what are the implications for our treatment of entities such as embryos, foetuses, and infants?

I think that it is possible that the act of terminating the fetus can be immoral. The point at which the fetus becomes a person doesn't answer the question of why the termination takes place - it only adds another potential reason not to do it.

Generally speaking, killing infants is a crime. Once the baby leaves the womb, killing it is considered murder.

Laws on abortion vary, which shows that as a society we are conflicted as to when the right of the baby to life surpasses the right of the mother to her body.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why does the mother's control of her body supersede the rights of the foetus over their body?
She doesn't. The mother's control of her body supersedes the fetus's control of the mother's body. (Sorry if I didn't make that clear in the last post.)
As in, due to body autonomy the fetus is not entitled to use of the mother's body.

I think that it is possible that the act of terminating the fetus can be immoral. The point at which the fetus becomes a person doesn't answer the question of why the termination takes place - it only adds another potential reason not to do it.

Generally speaking, killing infants is a crime. Once the baby leaves the womb, killing it is considered murder.

Laws on abortion vary, which shows that as a society we are conflicted as to when the right of the baby to life surpasses the right of the mother to her body.

Why do you think it might be immoral to terminate a foetus?

She doesn't. The mother's control of her body supersedes the fetus's control of the mother's body. (Sorry if I didn't make that clear in the last post.)
As in, due to body autonomy the fetus is not entitled to use of the mother's body.

So to your mind that trumps the foetus' potential right to their life? The body autonomy of the mother vs. the life of the foetus?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So to your mind that trumps the foetus' potential right to their life? The body autonomy of the mother vs. the life of the foetus?
Yes, as is the case of any donor donee situation. There's no situation where a right to life means the right to use another's body without their continued expressed consent.

Jumi

For me, all persons have the right to non-interference with their liberty, life, and property. Deliberately killing a person without due cause constitutes murder. I believe that personhood extends from conception to death (not brain death, which I don't recognise as death) of a human being, and I also extend personhood to certain 'higher' animals (e.g. non-human primates).
You might have to extend it to cows and pigs, cats and dogs, based on their personhood too, being above the non-born humans. I guess it depends on our emotions in the end and where we draw invisible lines. I could eat a cow and not consider the fact that their emotional capabilities are more than a baby.

You might have to extend it to cows and pigs, cats and dogs, based on their personhood too, being above the non-born humans. I guess it depends on our emotions in the end and where we draw invisible lines. I could eat a cow and not consider the fact that their emotional capabilities are more than a baby.

So yes, I extend personhood to a bunch of other animals too, though not cows - they taste too good! But seriously, it boils down to the question of souls/spirits - I believe there is a categorical difference between the soul/spirit of a human/non-human primate (and one or two other animals) on the one hand and the soul/spirit of other creatures on the other. And I believe the soul/spirit joins with the physical body of an animal at conception (in the case of animals that reproduce sexually).