• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's with the Dharmic/Mudra imagery in Christian art?

Leftimies

Dwelling in the Principle
PIE was spoken about 6,000 years ago around the Black Sea area. Within the next few thousand years it diverged going west into Europe and south into the Iranian plateau and Indian subcontinent.

It took about 1,000 years for PIE to change into Proto-Indo-Iranian, and another 1,000 years for Proto-Indo-Iranian to split into the Iranian languages and Vedic Sanskrit. Proto-Greek appeared about the same time. So when all is said and done, between about 4000 BCE and 2000 BCE we have PIE splitting into most of its daughter languages. It was actually pretty fast.

Thats incredible. I was prepared for something much longer. So, going forth with that 6,000 mark, basically the Proto-Indo-European culture (which was supposedly loosely shared by the members of the group who spoke the PIE language) existed at the same time when the early Chinese culture was taking shape. So it really is that recent, that's actually quite profound. That explains why the traces of PIE culture are so strong and mutually shared by pre-Christian Europeans, pre-Islamic Persians and the Indians (particularly in linguistics, religions and philosophy).

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Interesting. You mean after the ascension he came back to earth as a living, breathing human? What are your reasons for this belief? Also, don't the Mormons think Jesus also came to America to teach (or am I confused)?
Mormons believe that Jesus appeared to some of the people living on the American content following His ascension into Heaven to teach them His gospel. It's entirely possible that He appeared elsewhere, too. When you stop to think about it, why wouldn't He want His gospel known in parts of the world that would not see Christian missionaries for centuries to come?

David1967

Premium Member
Yes, this was actually a picture featured on a long list of Christian iconography images that I was originally supposed to put out. But my computer crashed because of system memory failure, and the first posting attempt went to hell. I was too frustrated to go and find all the images again :D
Don't you hate it when that happens?!

Jumi

https://iconreader.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/what-does-this-hand-gesture-mean-in-icons/

I found this blog, it seems to be about the topic. Roman orator gestures below

gesturesoftheorator.jpg

I heard similar things from a relative who attended an icon course.