• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's with all the 'What if?' scenarios.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've seen a lot of hypothetical ideas presented lately. I think it's fantasy mostly, and don't see any of it as proof of anything. What if you saw the devil? What if somebody made a prophecy and it came true? That sort of thing.

Why do folks think that this is some sort of valid argument, and then use it to claim something? It's essentially meaningless. Sorry to break the news but a 'What if?' means it HASN'T happened.

Thoughts.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
What if everyone stopped posting "What ifs"? Would RF go quiet?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen a lot of hypothetical ideas presented lately. I think it's fantasy mostly, and don't see any of it as proof of anything. What if you saw the devil? What if somebody made a prophecy and it came true? That sort of thing.

Why do folks think that this is some sort of valid argument, and then use it to claim something? It's essentially meaningless. Sorry to break the news but a 'What if?' means it HASN'T happened.

Thoughts.

I like them as a way of checking the consistency of my own thinking.
I don't like them as an egotistical test of others.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
One such scenario
What if pigs could fly. Would the price of bacon go up?

It's all kind of absurd, though, isn't it?
You might as well ask 'What happens if apples could fly?'
Just...ahem...pie in the sky...
*chortles*

Sorry, OP, couldn't quite help myself. I'm very immature.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Thoughts.
I agree. "What if the sky were made of concrete?" :rolleyes:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Not sure I understand how that works, but sure.

Well...maybe I can explain better.
I've heard some very interesting hypotheticals in my life. At Uni, for example. I even have a book filled with them on my shelf that my sister gave me.

At their best, they're quite thought provoking. They force me to examine some of my beliefs in a new light, and can promote self-reflection.

But here, often, it seems like someone is trying to 'trick' someone else. To see if they'll guess the 'right' answer. That sort of hypothetical is almost narcissistic in my mind. It's not seeking to help people reflect and consider anything. The asker is really just patting themselves on the back at how very 'clever' they are. It's pretty small-minded I think.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well...maybe I can explain better.
I've heard some very interesting hypotheticals in my life. At Uni, for example. I even have a book filled with them on my shelf that my sister gave me.

At their best, they're quite thought provoking. They force me to examine some of my beliefs in a new light, and can promote self-reflection.

But here, often, it seems like someone is trying to 'trick' someone else. To see if they'll guess the 'right' answer. That sort of hypothetical is almost narcissistic in my mind. It's not seeking to help people reflect and consider anything. The asker is really just patting themselves on the back at how very 'clever' they are. It's pretty small-minded I think.

Thanks. Can you please quote a couple from that book? Maybe that will help me see how it helps you.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What if i didn't follow them, i would just have to live on walnuts, truffles and wine
Each of those sounds infinitely better than bacon, even though I've never tasted truffle. It just sounds tasty. What if all food had sound?