• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

whats up with the "Xtians"?????

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
I dont think its because it is tedious to type the whole word. I understand cuting 'super cali fragil listic expi ali doshes' short, but "Christian"?

Why?
What about cutting "cutting" short?

;)

(PS it's "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" .. I should know, I've written at least half a dozen parodies to thte song)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
First, I value when someone bleeps out Gods name because they have a understandable reason to do so. I am not here to tell them they are wrong. I was not familar that people did this until I descovered the internet. When I first saw it, I asked Jews the same question I ask about "Xtian"; they gave me a reasonable answer. I understood. Case close.

And are you suggesting that we bleep God's name out on screen? Like some sort of gutter profanity?
No. Where did you get that? I understand why Gods name is bleeped out. Most Christians may no do so because it is mostly a cultural and traditonal teaching to which many (not all) christians run away from

Without trying to be mean, I wondered why the X is written. If they said it is disrepsect tonwrite Christ name, I understand. If they said they rather write the original name when its appropriate, I understand.

If it is a preference, I feel it is odd AND I understand. If it is just lazines, no Indont understand.

That is why I brought up the question to find answers not defend why I asked it in the first place, sheesh.

Again: Are there any explicit edicts in Christianity that forbid the word "God" from being written out in full? Could you cite them?
No. Your point?

And if "Christian" isn't a holy word, why is "Christmas" a holy word?

Christmas is a holy word because of what it stands for.

Christ is a Holy word because of what He stands for

Christian is just a title for someone who has a relationship with Christ. The title doesnt mean anything if one doesnt have a relationship with Christ. I am a Christian. I will always say that I am not was. I do not follow Jesus teachings AND I was baptized into His body.

The word christian and its meaning seems to be so flexible that people avoid the word, maybe saying "none" or "no religion" since it seems to denote that they follow a religion not Christ.

If Christian was a holy word, those who have a relationship with Christ would be proud to use it. Since some do not, I dont see the holy implication as I do the words Christ and Christmas.

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Nahhhh. Just be honest.
Fine. Then:
anyone who ever uses St., Mr., Mrs., Ms., Dr., Sgt., Lt., Gen., O'clock, Halloween, Christmas, Ave., Blvd., I-70, U.S.A., U.K., plane, mart, store, dept., N.Y., R.R., Rt., F.D., P.D., E.R., O.R., medic, in., ft., yd., gas, alt., fridge, H2O, phone, VCR, tape, DVD, DVR, DAT, vest, AZ, AL, CA, DC, etc., St. Louis, &, @, $, Jim, Jack, Liz, Beth, Frieda, Sal, Ben, Harry, Bob, et. al., A/C, airco, avgas, AC/DC, are also being "lazy."
No matter when, why or how. Every use of every abbreviation is laziness.

sojourner

It's laziness.
Y'know, I've worked in the communication industry, and I've flown airplanes for a while now. Many times, abbreviations are used as an expedient for time and/or energy, and have nothing to do with laziness. This is one of those cases. If I were being lazy, I wouldn't bother to respond to the inane comments at all; I'd be asleep.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
christians.jpg

It's a complex that'd been infused into their religion's DNA long before Constantine legitimized the faith.

However, I feel no compulsion whatsoever to coddle them in their ignorance.
Sadly, we have no proof that Christians were fed to lions.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Y'know, I've worked in the communication industry, and I've flown airplanes for a while now. Many times, abbreviations are used as an expedient for time and/or energy, and have nothing to do with laziness. This is one of those cases. If I were being lazy, I wouldn't bother to respond to the inane comments at all; I'd be asleep.
Anything less than the actual word isn't abbreviation, it's just stupid lazy fingers.

It's like "How r u"?

sojourner

Anything less than the actual word isn't abbreviation, it's just stupid lazy fingers.

It's like "How r u"?
Oh, I see. So we should all be writing out "The Right Reverend Doctor Eugene Robinson," rather than using, "Rt. Rev. Dr. Gene Robinson." His wife is being lazy calling him "Gene," because "The Right Reverend Doctor Eugene Robinson" is his actual name. Riiiiight.

And anytime air traffic control communicates with an airplane, they should always say, for example, "Cessna Citation N four zero one five November, Los Angeles Air Traffic Control, you are clear to climb to two one thousand feet," rather than saying, "One Five November, Lax ATC, clear for flight level two one?" Stuff like that and like "How r u" is called "shorthand." It was originally used by people using standard radio vox and sending and receiving morse code in order to save time. Not because the sender was "lazy." There are always all kinds of reasons to shorten, to use abbreviations, and not always because the person is "lazy."

Ever program in BASIC? Ever use ASCII? When setting up email, do you know your LAN? Why not program in "Beginners All-Purpose Instruction Code," or why not use "American Standard Code for Information Interchange?" Do you know your "Local Area Network" when setting up your "electronic mail?" Is it because you're "lazy," or because you want to communicate efficiently? How many people do you think know what BASIC refers to, but have no idea what "Beginners All-Purpose Instruction Code is?" It's not because they're "lazy listeners."

Musicians play "64th notes," because it's more efficient than playing "hemidemisemiquavers." Not because they're "lazy," but because it's more efficient. And because most lay musicians can relate to "64th notes," but have No. Clue. what a "hemidemisemiquaver" is.

Know anybody who has M.S., M.D., C.P., C.F., CFS., PMS., or C.O.P.D., for which they may see an M.D. at the E.R.? Lazy sonsbeeches! They should always refer to their malady by its proper name.

The "X" in "xtian" and "xmas" stand for the Greek letter chi, which is the first letter in the Greek spelling of "Christ." "X" has been used by scholars for centuries to refer to "Christ." It's not laziness -- it's efficient communication.

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
Why not program in "Beginners All-Purpose Instruction Code,"
I feel something symbolic is missing ;)

It's like "How r u"?
Is it like "isn't" and "it's", too?

When I was at school, my maths teacher said I had "just the right kind of laziness to be a mathematician" - it has proved even more so in my chosen profession as a techie: the desire to do less work thought through. A bit more thought at the start means you can end up doing far less work to create something which doesn't need fixing when you've finished it. Appropriate use of abbreviation so long as it doesn't obscure meaning may be described as lazy, but shouldn't be thought of as "stupid". And "lazy" in this context isn't necessarily pejorative.

..but "How r u?" is an abomination for which I'm prepared to see the death penalty brought back.

sojourner

No. It is not. Stop trying to justify yourself.
It's the Same. Thing. Writing "Dr." instead of "Doctor" is the same thing as writing "Xtian" instead of "Christian." It's shorthand. It's an abbreviation. Just because you don't recognize it or like it or whatever doesn't mean that it's "lazy." Stop trying to justify yourself.

sojourner

PS

My favourite note name. But my fingers are way too slow to play 'em, unless the time signature's about 1 or 2 bpm
What I like is when you're playing along at about 85, and all of a sudden you come up on these notes attached with all these bars, or that have all these little flags on them, and you actually have to stop playing and count the bars or flags with your finger to see how many of them there are (because the print is so small), so you know what kind of notes they are. Same with a lot of ledger lines.

sojourner

And "lazy" in this context isn't necessarily pejorative.
"Lazy" the way some have applied it here is misleading, because I'm well aware that the posters intentionally misuse it as a character slam, just to get my goat. "Lazy" is a character judgment. "Efficient time saver" is expediency. It has to do with a thinly-veiled judgment as to motive and the implied character-flaw behind it. And then they try to backpedal by saying "It's not a judgment -- 'lazy' isn't a bad thing." When that's not really what they're implying by using the term in this case. I still say it's no different than saying "64th note" rather than "hemidemisemiquaver." No one accuses those people of being "lazy." And if "Xian" is lazy, so is saying "Bishop Robinson," instead of "The Right Reverend Eugene Robinson." Either it's all "lazy," and everyone is guilty, or it's not, and no one is guilty.

atpollard

"Lazy" the way some have applied it here is misleading, because I'm well aware that the posters intentionally misuse it as a character slam, just to get my goat. "Lazy" is a character judgment. "Efficient time saver" is expediency. It has to do with a thinly-veiled judgment as to motive and the implied character-flaw behind it. And then they try to backpedal by saying "It's not a judgment -- 'lazy' isn't a bad thing." When that's not really what they're implying by using the term in this case. I still say it's no different than saying "64th note" rather than "hemidemisemiquaver." No one accuses those people of being "lazy." And if "Xian" is lazy, so is saying "Bishop Robinson," instead of "The Right Reverend Eugene Robinson." Either it's all "lazy," and everyone is guilty, or it's not, and no one is guilty.
I think that "lazy" is probably too strong of an accusation, but even you should be willing to admit that translating "The Right Reverend Eugene Robinson" into Greek and then using just the first letter of each Greek word, while shorter than "The Right Reverend Eugene Robinson", it is also less clear to an predominantly English speaking audience than an English abbreviation would be.

[As an aside: When my local Walgreen (or whomever) puts up a sign saying "X-Mas SALE", I seriously doubt that either the person in marketing who designed it or the 16 year old stock boy putting it up could tell me who Constantine was or is even vaguely aware of the scholarly tradition for using 'chi'. Short words can be made larger on a sign, making them visible from a greater distance ... the goal is pragmatic, not driven by any 'respect for scholarly tradition'.]

In a world in which Christmas Nativities that have been displayed at city hall for over 100 years are suddenly forbidden, some "X-ians" are a little sensitive to other instances where it appears CHRIST is being removed from the celebration of His birth or the English language. Please try to have some patience with us if we seem hypersensitive about certain things. It may not be justified, but it is not 100% without cause.