• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whats the MSG version of the Bible?

Bishka

Veteran Member
I'm reading the purpose-driven life a the moment and I keep coming across

MSG

What in the heckity-beckity does that stand for?

Bishka

Veteran Member
JamesThePersian said:
I though MSG was monosodium glutamate, but I can't imagine you could make a Bible from that.

James

:biglaugh:

You so get frubals for that!

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
JamesThePersian said:
To answer your question more seriously, it appears that it's an abbreviation for something called the Message Bible. It sems to be a contemporary paraphrasing of the Bible (and hence, personally, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole).
What James said... rather than a translation that tries to copy the original text word-for -word, it's a paraphrase version that says what the author thinks the bible says.
These versions can be an interesting read and can be useful as a 'commentary' on the Bible. But they're not necessarily what the Bible actually says.

'The Living Bible' and 'Today's English Version' are a couple of other paraphrased versions.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
"Take your hands off the wheel and let God do the driving" was all I needed to or wish to hear from Mr. Warren.

Like James, but for different reason perhaps, I wouldn't touch this line of thinking with a chainsaw.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
"the purpose-driven life" is a good read, i read half of it but ran out of time :eek:

MSG means message, the "message" version of the bible is a modern translation, frequently used by the vineyard movement - i understand the book to have been written by an author within the vineyard branch :)

edit: once again, Wiki knows all... :bow:

edit2: sorry, i should have read the whole thread before posting, i see James has already clued y'all in :yes:

i go to a vineyard church, they use the message version, but it is not a study bible, it's aimed at almost "dumbing down" the bible to make it more accessible to every-day people...

Bishka

Veteran Member
Mike182 said:
no, and it frequently raises my blood pressure :thud:

Me too.

I personally don't like the Bible 'dumbed down', but that's just my opinion.

Hey everyone thank you so much for helping me out. I feel dumb for not knowing what it was. I have to say The Purpose Driven Life is a bit more bias then a lot of books I've read, and I have to stay I prefer Eastern Thought that some of the more contemporary Christian authors.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
beckysoup61 said:
Me too.

I personally don't like the Bible 'dumbed down', but that's just my opinion.

Hey everyone thank you so much for helping me out. I feel dumb for not knowing what it was. I have to say The Purpose Driven Life is a bit more bias then a lot of books I've read, and I have to stay I prefer Eastern Thought that some of the more contemporary Christian authors.

Really? Anyone in particular (I assume you mean eastern Christian in the context)? Ancient or modern? I'm just curious really, but I might be able to point you in the direction of some others you might like (and they certainly won't dumb anything down).

James

Booko

Deviled Hen
beckysoup61 said:
I'm reading the purpose-driven life a the moment and I keep coming across

MSG

What in the heckity-beckity does that stand for?

The MSG version of the Bible triggers migraines in many sensitive individuals. :D

Bishka

Veteran Member
JamesThePersian said:
Really? Anyone in particular (I assume you mean eastern Christian in the context)? Ancient or modern? I'm just curious really, but I might be able to point you in the direction of some others you might like (and they certainly won't dumb anything down).

James

Eastern as in Buddhism, Taoism.

I've felt very condensended to by Christian authors, if anyone knows of some really good Christian authors, let me know.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
Booko said:
The MSG version of the Bible triggers migraines in many sensitive individuals. :D
Bwahahahaha :biglaugh:

As someone who doesn't get migraines from MSG, I find this and other bible paraphrases add an interesting flavor to my spiritual dishes.... though by itself, it's simply not that edible :D

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
beckysoup61 said:
Eastern as in Buddhism, Taoism.

I've felt very condensended to by Christian authors, if anyone knows of some really good Christian authors, let me know.

Modern or ancient (or somewhere in between)? A couple of more modern ones that I can certainly recommend (and their works are available in English, some online) are Fr. Dumitru Staniloae and Elder Cleopa of Sihastria. And then, of course, you just can't beat the Fathers.

James

Bishka

Veteran Member
JamesThePersian said:
Modern or ancient (or somewhere in between)? A couple of more modern ones that I can certainly recommend (and their works are available in English, some online) are Fr. Dumitru Staniloae and Elder Cleopa of Sihastria. And then, of course, you just can't beat the Fathers.

James

Anything that makes me feel non-condesended to by the write and that's easy to read.