• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the deal with Chritian divorcees remarrying?

Not understanding why when Jesus wrote Luke 16:18 is a very bold, straightforward saying that seems to settle the issue quickly: "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and whoever marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery". Both divorce and remarriage are just plain wrong—right?

But then there's this:

Corinthians 7:8-9 (NASB) But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

So which is it?

Good point! Some christians are saying that when they divorce then become born again and realize their mistakes they they are forgiven, has a clean slate then can remarry under the grace of Jesus?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Good point! Some christians are saying that when they divorce then become born again and realize their mistakes they they are forgiven, has a clean slate then can remarry under the grace of Jesus?
Christians are pretty good at rationalizing away the parts of Jesus's Message they find inconvenient.
I have been struck by the irony of multiply married and divorced Christians complaining about the destruction of the family caused by gay people getting married.
Tom

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Not understanding why when Jesus wrote Luke 16:18 is a very bold, straightforward saying that seems to settle the issue quickly: "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and whoever marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery". Both divorce and remarriage are just plain wrong—right?

But then there's this:

Corinthians 7:8-9 (NASB) But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

So which is it?

If you divorced your wife, then you should not get remarried. /that's pretty clear/. There is an action there, the man is divorcing the wife, it isn't just ''divorce'', in general. Sometimes divorce is necessary, this verse is not meant to make things worse for people /by staying married/.
The second part of your question isn't even the same inference/in meaning, from the first.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Meaning if you divorce your wife then you have to saty single for the rest of your days?

Unless you had an extremely good reason for divorcing your wife, yes. Note the action there, and specific implied meaning.

'Divorce' is not an implied mutual agreement. This verse /the wisdom of Scripture/, is very apt for the varying divorce laws by culture/country

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If you divorced your wife, then you should not get remarried. /that's pretty clear/. There is an action there, the man is divorcing the wife, it isn't just ''divorce'', in general. Sometimes divorce is necessary, this verse is not meant to make things worse for people /by staying married/.
The second part of your question isn't even the same inference/in meaning, from the first.
Except Jesus never bothers to ban polygamy, and Paul only argues against it for presbyters, so apparently it isn't the "remarriage" part that's the problem; it's divorce and remarriage together.

Nothing that Jesus or Paul say in the Bible suggest any problem with remarrying if you don't divorce your first wife.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus comments on Deuteronomy 24. First, the whole reason for the law of divorce matters in this case, as Jesus is commenting on it. One reason it is there is to prevent enslavement through marriage. It says (short summary) the man must release the wife if he doesn't love her. You must first read this law and understand what its about. You don't seem to have a grasp about the particulars. Because of that you also don't know whether Jesus is condemning divorce or not. Long story short...a divorced person can remarry of you are just going by Luke and by the Bible -- although not necessarily according to traditional church authorities. If you want someone to tell you what to think, they will.

But then there's this:

So which is it?
Corinthians 7:8-9 is speaking about men who are betrothed during a time of crisis. It involves the laws surrounding betrothal. They are confused, because on one hand they aren't supposed to get married if they can't be a good husband, but on the other hand they have promised to get married. (This interpretation is based on my opinion of Deut 24:5, which I think Paul is also commenting on.)

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Except Jesus never bothers to ban polygamy, and Paul only argues against it for presbyters, so apparently it isn't the "remarriage" part that's the problem; it's divorce and remarriage together.

Nothing that Jesus or Paul say in the Bible suggest any problem with remarrying if you don't divorce your first wife.

Yes, agree. Perhaps you misunderstood my statements

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It's only weird if you don't understand what He is saying
But like a vast majority of scripture, from genesis to Quran, it isn't really possible to understand it if you aren't familiar with the culture in which it was written. Parsing deep meaning out of a turn of a phrase or an idiomatic reference the original audience would get, but modern people don't have a clue about, causes all kinds of problems.
Modern people, for instance, don't know a thing about what a Samaritan was to a Jew 2000 years ago. But it matters a lot to the meaning of the parable to the audience of the day.
Tom

meghanwaterlillies

But then there's this:

So which is it?
It was meant to address the hardness of men that throw away their singular wife or play games in which case a woman could do as well that's why both cross each other or cancel out. And Jesus used both as examples. Cruelty is probably the best one, usury, or swapping person for person also shows/possess hardening of heart to their end (while the opposite Good shows/possess...................) or also having intent to harden the others heart, why and what for? Honesty is still necessary in these cases. But at the end when it gets brought we usually find lots of accusations and lying on one side why the other may have some too and true. I would give to a church that tries really hard not to make poor judgments on this or advices. This is usually where people like to sue at the law and bring it before God at the same time while others would not want to harm the other in the least bit. Anyways, No person is truly stuck in a redundancy hardness might as well call it a none marriage or even a uncommitted relationship eventually when the intent to harden or they may have already pride fully harden their hearts. That's why he mention Moses because Moses couldn't even change their harden hearts, so Moses suffered on the grounds to allow divorce. Why? because people can be jerks! Jesus is saying I will look at both ends. Paul spoke on the grounds of strange practices in the area, that might demotivate them from "church". Which is not the case, many have not, and have saved themselves with guidance of course from the Holy Spirit.- From wolf-ing which doesn't mean that lack of marriage or a committed relationship makes anyone better, as we saw with Paul himself. Also ironically someone can try to pull a fast one with church to guilt trip someone when they weren't really with a genuine feeling of a committed relationship they just want to use the church to substitute it or justify it at the end. It may not free them of it if that's the motive but in cases people have a abused then that area where church is; actual people going into marriage, tried to leverage against someone when their heart was harden or agenized prior. Some people and parishes and such have gotten a little smarter and aren't always falling for that but that also means that other cases it maybe different. Believe they are not all that "stupid." It makes it easier one day to have truth and forgive even if you already had.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
But like a vast majority of scripture, from genesis to Quran, it isn't really possible to understand it if you aren't familiar with the culture in which it was written. Parsing deep meaning out of a turn of a phrase or an idiomatic reference the original audience would get, but modern people don't have a clue about, causes all kinds of problems.
Modern people, for instance, don't know a thing about what a Samaritan was to a Jew 2000 years ago. But it matters a lot to the meaning of the parable to the audience of the day.
Tom

Only partly true. The statement presented in the original argument /the verses/, are completely relevant to modern circumstances. The problem is bad inference, not what is being said. The Bible actually does explain a lot of that material, it just may be in another book.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The statement presented in the original argument /the verses/, are completely relevant to modern circumstances.
I don't think this is true.
By the standards of the day, women were chattel. Jesus's standards were an improvement. So were Mohammed's.
Today's cultural standards are different and better. If you find yourself married to a violent criminal or serious drug addict, grabbing the kids and filing for divorce are the responsible way to go.
The fact that this wasn't mentioned in the Bible is because Biblical standards and morality are primitive.
Tom

meghanwaterlillies

I don't think this is true.
By the standards of the day, women were chattel. Jesus's standards were an improvement. So were Mohammed's.
Today's cultural standards are different and better. If you find yourself married to a violent criminal or serious drug addict, grabbing the kids and filing for divorce are the responsible way to go.
The fact that this wasn't mentioned in the Bible is because Biblical standards and morality are primitive.
Tom
how are mohammed's improvement?