• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the big deal?

Was the follow up question offensive?

• Yes, you were out of line

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
OK, so some time ago, I checked out a different message board devoted to discussing religion. To get to know people, I started a thread asking "what do you believe?"

The first respondent said she was atheist, and that was it. I responded with "Secular humanist, I'm guessing? :)"

Well she took umbrage at my"attempt to force her to take a label she didn't want to claim," and the ensuing flamewar ended (I hope) when I simply left the group.

I really don't get the offense here. Was I totally out of line, or was she overreacting? Please explain.

Poll posted.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
That's so silly. Just a follow up questionbto figure our their core beliefs.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
That was pretty much my reaction. I pointed out that 'I'm an atheist' says only that you don't believe in one thing, and conveys no information about what you DO believe. At which point she REALLY let me have it, accusing me of 'outstanding ignorance,' among other things.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
That was pretty much my reaction. I pointed out that 'I'm an atheist' says only that you don't believe in one thing, and conveys no information about what you DO believe. At which point she REALLY let me have it, accusing me of 'outstanding ignorance,' among other things.

What? That doesnt even...hugs storm

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It's ok. When I joined that group, there hadn't been a single new post in 4 months. Gee, I wonder why...

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sounds like an overreaction, but they possibly have had a problem with trolls or something.

Warren Clark

Informer
OK, so some time ago, I checked out a different message board devoted to discussing religion. To get to know people, I started a thread asking "what do you believe?"

The first respondent said she was atheist, and that was it. I responded with "Secular humanist, I'm guessing? :)"

Well she took umbrage at my"attempt to force her to take a label she didn't want to claim," and the ensuing flamewar ended (I hope) when I simply left the group.

I really don't get the offense here. Was I totally out of line, or was she overreacting? Please explain.

Poll posted.

Maybe she was offended at the thought of being a secular humanist.
:shrug:

my first reaction is that she overreacted, but i guess i'd need the details to be sure.

perhaps it's just that she's gotten away with that answer scott free in the past and wasn't used to any further questioning. or maybe her group is so limited that her use of the word "atheist" is typically enough to shock people into leaving her alone. who knows? some people just like to get butt-hurt though.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Meh...I don't get why anyone would be upset by that. And to be honest, anyone that did would be a pretty tough person to have any sort of discussion with. First time they disagree with you, they're pulling the "you're ignorant" card. Which is always a winner when they're the one not providing any information.