• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's so bad about tradition?

Elessar

I've been on this forum for a few months, and have been on this earth for almost nineteen years, and I have continually, in both places, run into this idea people put out that tradition is a bad thing, that it is inappropriate or unacceptable in modern society, and what have you.

My question is, why? What is so bad about tradition?

Note: I don't only mean religious traditions, I mean any traditions, secular or religious.

.lava

Veteran Member
I've been on this forum for a few months, and have been on this earth for almost nineteen years, and I have continually, in both places, run into this idea people put out that tradition is a bad thing, that it is inappropriate or unacceptable in modern society, and what have you.

Note: I don't only mean religious traditions, I mean any traditions, secular or religious.

i have no problem with traditions. i think they could be ties to keep societies together as a big family. but everything becomes bad when it is forced on people.

you're 19? i would never have guessed.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

When tradition infringes upon the rights of someone, IMO, it is bad.
Take womens rights, for example.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
When tradition infringes upon the rights of someone, IMO, it is bad.
Take womens rights, for example.

Ditto.

Tradition gives some people an easy excuse to maintain extremist ideas/practices.

Tradition doesn't allow ways to evolve into something better.

Of course this all just depends. It is easy to abuse tradition like it is easy to abuse most things.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Some traditions are good but a person should always allow some variety and change in their life. I think it is possible to keep a healthy balance between tradition and opening yourself to some new possibilities.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

There's nothing wrong with tradition in and of itself. But many traditions have been demonstrated by new knowledge to be less than optimal ways of doing things.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A tradition is an activity that used to be functional but, through social change or whatever, no longer is.
It's maintained, even if it be dysfunctional, cause it's, well, a tradition!

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Well, some traditions aren't very fair for everyone involved. If its a tradition, like every year this guy and his family celebrates Haloween, that's a tradition with nothing wrong with it. But other traditions discriminate against certain people, like traditionally, marriage is between a man and a woman, which discriminates against gay people. And traditionally, in court you swear on the bible to tell the truth, which discriminates against people who feel the bible means absolutely nothing. I suppose in that instance it's just funny though, as your swear means nothing as well, and you are more obligated to lie than someone who does think the bible is important.

Bishadi

Clipping a child is not for God. It assisted in reducing STD's.

any tradition that suggests GOD wants it 'this' way, is lying!

Stop the lies, share the truth and have all the parties you want!

Elessar

Clipping a child is not for God. It assisted in reducing STD's.

I believe it is part of the covenant with G-d, and you are off the topic, unless you've decided to target Jewish traditions in particular as in some way barbaric.

any tradition that suggests GOD wants it 'this' way, is lying!

Stop the lies, share the truth and have all the parties you want!

Again, I explicitly stated I was not referring only to religious traditions, but to very secular traditions as well, completely unrelated to religion, or even religious ones not even claimed to derive from G-d.

Basically, you have gone past tradition and are attacking my faith. Which is off topic. We are talking about tradition in general, not Jewish religion.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
What's so great about tradition? What's bad about it is that its adherents insist it's great without any expectation of it actually being so, and can't leave well enough alone to let other people decide for themselves what they value and how they value it.

Bishadi

I believe it is part of the covenant with G-d, and you are off the topic, unless you've decided to target Jewish traditions in particular as in some way barbaric.
Christians and most of the west follow the tradition.

Nothing wrong with it but the reality of why should be shared within the progression of knowledge, that was the point. Nothing mean intended as you asked for comments on all areas of 'traditions'....

Again, I explicitly stated I was not referring only to religious traditions, but to very secular traditions as well, completely unrelated to religion, or even religious ones not even claimed to derive from G-d.
it was a root tradition that is one of the oldest that is bound to more that just Judaism

That is just a single belief system and that would not be fair

Basically, you have gone past tradition and are attacking my faith. Which is off topic. We are talking about tradition in general, not Jewish religion.

born catholic, it aint a jewish ONLY tradition. Sorry if you feel singled out as if 'chosen' as the majority on the globe knows better than that.

Beaudreaux

Well, I have a minor problem with tradition in that it takes reasoning out of the decision making process. People who follow tradition, by definition, are taking actions because "that's the way it has been done in the past." Following tradition for tradition's sake is, IMHO, mentally weak.

That said, expressions of tradition are not always bad, and each traditional action should be judged on its own merits. The only time tradition becomes a major problem for me is when people use tradition as a justification or rationale for behavior that causes pain or suffering.

For example, let's say I meet someone who practices female castration in their society. I tell them that it is wrong to do this and that they cause needless pain and suffering to the young women of their society. Let's also say that the man responds by saying "I understand what you are saying, but this is a tradition that goes back many many years and so we will continue to do it." That is where I have a serious problem with tradition.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
As far as religious traditions go, they can either be the living faith of those who are dead or the dead faith of those who are living. I suppose if you understand the purpose behind them then you won't be in the later category.

ayani

traditions needn't be "bad". raising children in a home where religious traditions are practiced can be a really good thing. helps the child to be grounded in faith, and gives them a basis for explanation of their family's beliefs. like "we celebrate this holiday because we believe..."

traditions, if undertaken as an expression of or to deepen one's personal faith, can be wonderful and meaningful. but if undertaken simply to fulfill a religious duty, or for tradition's sake (sans faith or understanding) they can lead to a spiritual complacency, and to an impression of one's being on solid ground, when one is not.