• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whats disturbing your mind?

Straw Dog

Yes the space labelled mind till thoughts exists or occupy it, or else its no-mind.
Meaning a small gap that exists between mind and no-mind is the focus of religion to enhance the gap leading to total no-mind.

Why seek total no-mind? Isn't that extreme?

Also, it seems that religions present themselves as having different goals. Where does this diversity spring from?

Yes since by nature mind entertain 'thoughts' we by being watchful try to be aware of them and maintain mindfullness as far as possible till no thoughts attaches itself with the mind any longer.

Watchfulness of thoughts may be clarified through compassion, or impartial loving-kindness and acceptance. Aversion to thoughts may cause disturbance.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Straw Dog,

Why seek total no-mind? Isn't that extreme?
Gues its not consciouslly making up any mind to go to the extreme BUT once we keep watching the thoughts, yes even allowing few of those which we need to [but consciously] guess over a period of time thoughts themselves do not come.
Example. Through watchfullness 'smoking' has receded and does not disturb the mind and now after over 2 years it hardly crosses the conscious mind. Am not consciously asking in not to come, did not take any extreme step to throw it out as aversion but the realisation that smoking adds no value to the body for living started to keep a watch.

Also, it seems that religions present themselves as having different goals. Where does this diversity spring from?
Diversity in what? Where there is a mind [thought] diversity is there by default!

Watchfulness of thoughts may be clarified through compassion, or impartial loving-kindness and acceptance. Aversion to thoughts may cause disturbance.

AM not sure if can add qualities to watchfulness but yes aversion to thoughts is not te same as being watchful of them. Transcending the thought is not the same as avoiding the thought. It is facing consciously till the thought itself fails to stand on its own.

Love & rgds

Straw Dog

Gues its not consciouslly making up any mind to go to the extreme BUT once we keep watching the thoughts, yes even allowing few of those which we need to [but consciously] guess over a period of time thoughts themselves do not come.

Interesting. Watchfulness is a useful skill. Still don't quite understand what the point is beyond utility, though. I must be non-religious, or not very spiritually evolved. I enjoy thinking well and I'm not bothered.

Are you seeking complete satisfaction?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Straw Dog,

Still don't quite understand what the point is beyond utility,
In fact it is not required in any way.
Having been born in a place where we culturally imbibe spiritualism, guess its become genetic to have imbibed such direction which appears spiritual or religious. They are just labels and means nothing in relation to BEing Here-Now even in 'thoughts'.

Love & rgds

Straw Dog

In fact it is not required in any way.
Having been born in a place where we culturally imbibe spiritualism, guess its become genetic to have imbibed such direction which appears spiritual or religious. They are just labels and means nothing in relation to BEing Here-Now even in 'thoughts'.

We may all choose our own way towards the future without regretting our past. Diversity is what makes us beautiful.

Being is doing. The present moment is untraceable as there is not-yet and no-longer. It seems consciousness is essentially temporalized. By its very nature, it negates undifferentiated Being into perceivable phenomena. We may only have presence towards the changing situation and we can never be totally at one with ourselves, but the journey is what matters.

Accepting that there will always be a certain degree of dissatisfaction goes a long way towards actually bringing about more contentment and less disturbance. This is proper for humans as it facilitates freedom. Just wanted to share personal understanding, but not sure if it helps address the OP.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Straw Dog,

but not sure if it helps address the OP.
It very much does as whatever we are saying somewhere the mind connection is there and since anything arising in the mind is mind delusion is in concurrence with the OP.
It seems consciousness is essentially temporalized.
Yes that is what meditation/ mindfullness/ etc are meant for and to enhance that space where Consciousness simply is and nothing else.

Love & Rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Nymphs,

Stress of school and life.
Could we go over this real slow and easy?
we all went to school now you are going.
In life there will always be differences and minds always perceives differences.
So what? why stress the mind over it?
If the mind is not under your control then the only way is to be watchfull of the mind.
Do you follow what am saying? watching the mind?

Love & rgds

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sometimes I wonder if my mind is unusual. So many people speak of theirs as if they were... so very different from mine, I suppose.

I have on occasion felt troubled by it. Which only meant that I needed to dive deeper into it in order to heal. It was very rarely painful, albeit sometimes terribly so. But it was always self-healing.

Nymphs

Friend Nymphs,

Could we go over this real slow and easy?
we all went to school now you are going.
In life there will always be differences and minds always perceives differences.
So what? why stress the mind over it?
If the mind is not under your control then the only way is to be watchfull of the mind.
Do you follow what am saying? watching the mind?

Love & rgds

No, I don't follow. :sorry1:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend LuisDantas,

But it was always self-healing.
Cause when you dive you dive to that pool/ocean of life.
Doing so consciously is what mindfullness/meditation is all about.

Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Nymphs,

Your stress, how and from where does it arise.
Which aspect of school?

Love & rgds

Straw Dog

Yes that is what meditation/ mindfullness/ etc are meant for and to enhance that space where Consciousness simply is and nothing else.

Do not presently believe consciousness simply is, but always about something. Perhaps new realizations will come through meditation someday. In the meanwhile, simply enjoy meditation/mindfulness for its own sake. Let us enjoy it together. :)

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Mental illness, past pain... I tried so many times to let go, to forgive... But no matter how many times I do it it comes back and causes more pain. How do you let go with success?

It doesn't work!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Mental illness, past pain... I tried so many times to let go, to forgive... But no matter how many times I do it it comes back and causes more pain. How do you let go with success?

It doesn't work!

Attempting to forgive involves accepting and reinforcing the perception that there is an offense in the first place. That may be impossible and perhaps unwise and unadvisable, at least if the offense persists and is still causing harm.

In those cases, it is wise to accept the level and nature of the harm and directly attempting to heal or stop it instead of basically attempting to pretend it is not there.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend illykitty,

It doesn't work!

Could you clarify the nature of 'mental illness'?
Medical problems are best handle by medical experts; sorry lol, am no doctor.
If you speak only of 'psychological pains' or 'emotional pains' then the cause is the mind which works on a pattern and so they come back or repeat itself unless you can transcend them through constant awareness.

Love & rgds

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Friend illykitty,

Could you clarify the nature of 'mental illness'?
Medical problems are best handle by medical experts; sorry lol, am no doctor.
If you speak only of 'psychological pains' or 'emotional pains' then the cause is the mind which works on a pattern and so they come back or repeat itself unless you can transcend them through constant awareness.

Love & rgds

Depression and anxiety. True but doctors said they can't give any medication, it is based on my situation and past trauma. I have many emotional scars. They say only therapy would work in my case. But I had therapy in the past and it didn't work.

I wish I could transcend it but so far no such thing happened.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend illykitty,

If transcendence of the mind was so easy we would all be a happy universe but it is hard work. Meditation is a direct technique to watch the thoughts crossing our mind. Indirect techniques includes prayers, rosary, listening to soothing music, singing hymns or plain singing or maybe painting/drawing/dance or any activity that best keeps on enjoying the activity as well as keeping the mind from remembering incidents of emotional stress.

It is important that it is about you and you have to decide what is best for you.

We may take up from there.

Love & rgds