• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Would Happen If The US Attacks Iran?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you think that the President of Columbia University is not seen as an American?

Another thing about "speaking truth to power" is that it is done from the people and for the people. An Iranian pointing out injustice to his president in the face of great danger is speaking truth to power. An American, making criticisms from a position of safety, with the power to issue invitations to presidents of nations, is in no position to play prophet.

Lilithu, I can understand that you look at the phrase "speak truth to power" in light of its religious/theological roots, but I was using the phrase in a much more casual and plain spoken manner and I have no theology about it.

Cynic

I agree with your entire post Sharon. The simple fact is that the current Administration does not have any political capital left to burn. Even if it was true that Iran was churning out nukes faster than Qur'ans, it would take a lot to convince people to move for out and out action. War is a bit of a touchy subject for Americans these days and I do not see how your current President could possibly go into Iran even via airstrikes. I suspect there would have to be Iranian nukes showing up on Ebay before many would believe a word this Administration said.

The impression I get from the Democrats is that they are so intellectually bankrupt that they are simply voicing scenarios about Republican ambitions to fill the void, lest anyone notice they don't have much of substance to say on pretty much anything. To me, that is as worrisome as the debacles created by the current adminstration. What is more worrisome is that the Democratic clowns are going to be coronated come 2008 unless they do something incredibly stupid between then and now. The so-called terrorists and Iranian government must be wetting themselves in glee. I suspect they are smart enough to realize they have the doggy by the tail and all they need to do is hang on.

From what I understand, this hypothetical scenario is a possibility. I know that they have B-52s ready in Iraq, I'm not going to mention anything else. Military movements, strategic deployments, mobilization, etc, will give you an idea what may come next.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Lilithu, I can understand that you look at the phrase "speak truth to power" in light of its religious/theological roots, but I was using the phrase in a much more casual and plain spoken manner and I have no theology about it.
It doesn't change anything. To speak truth to power credibly you have to be one of the people speaking for the people. To think that you can, from the outside, come in and speak on behalf of others with no risk to yourself shows that you are in a position of privilege. In a position of power.

To not recognize that, to think we have the right, that's the same attitude that makes us think that we can go "liberate" other countries and then wonder why the world is mad at us.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It doesn't change anything. To speak truth to power credibly you have to be one of the people speaking for the people. To think that you can, from the outside, come in and speak on behalf of others with no risk to yourself shows that you are in a position of privilege. In a position of power.

To not recognize that, to think we have the right, that's the same attitude that makes us think that we can go "liberate" other countries and then wonder why the world is mad at us.

If someone tells the President 2 + 2 = 4, the truth or falsity of that statement does not in any way that I can see depend on the moral position of the person who speaks it. That's all I meant by Speak truth to power. I wasn't intending to get into a theological discussion on what it would mean to a priest.

Popeyesays

If someone tells the President 2 + 2 = 4, the truth or falsity of that statement does not in any way that I can see depend on the moral position of the person who speaks it. That's all I meant by Speak truth to power. I wasn't intending to get into a theological discussion on what it would mean to a priest.

Intelligence analysis is not a mathematical process. To think it is, is what got us into a mess here. Sadam Hussein was a problem, but how much thought was given to dealing with an Iraq in chaos? We had no plan to win the peace. Why? Because the commander in chief let people tell him intelligence was a mathematical process.

Regards,
Scott

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Intelligence analysis is not a mathematical process. To think it is, is what got us into a mess here. Sadam Hussein was a problem, but how much thought was given to dealing with an Iraq in chaos? We had no plan to win the peace. Why? Because the commander in chief let people tell him intelligence was a mathematical process.

Regards,
Scott

Huh? Are you following the conversation, Scott. We were discussing Lee Bollinger's remarks at Columbia -- not the intelligence estimates presented to the President.

neves

I hear you FVM, but the simple fact is that the good Presidential Puppet from Iran is not terribly well liked in his own country. It is unlikely that his fellow Iranian's can go toe to toe with him without fearing for their safety. Who knows, they all could be silently sitting in front of their televisions cheering the American's ability to tear down this figurehead.

toe to toe like this?

YouTube - Ahmadinejad at Amir Kabir University 1/8 Subtitled

and no they were not be-headed...

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
OK. :) but it's to a prophet, not a priest. :p

The phrase comes from black liberation theology, and the idea is that it is the position of oppression that gives the person speaking his or her moral authority to speak. And we are talking about morality here, not 2+2=4.

Just to be clear, not that I think you thought otherwise, I am no fan of President Ahmadinejad. His response to the question of the execution of a gay couple in Iran was appalling. But honestly, I think that inviting him to one's university and then publicly denouncing him as a "petty and cruel dictator" does nothing to help the people in Iran. All Bollinger accomplished was to personally insult and embarrass him, to make it even less likely that he would listen to any concerns of human rights violations. One has to ask what the goal was in this, to help the Iranian people? or to voice one's own feeling of moral superiority?

Popeyesays

Huh? Are you following the conversation, Scott. We were discussing Lee Bollinger's remarks at Columbia -- not the intelligence estimates presented to the President.

Sorry.

I think Bollinger was caught in a PR vise. To do other than he did would not have put the university in the best light. To do what he did not put the university in the best light. It was a negative sum game--everybody loses, no way to win.

Regards,
Scott

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Having spent some time around a few Iranians, I agree with Booko. They're national pride is strong. And an attack on the President can easily been seen as an attack on Iran. They may not like their president but that doesn't mean that the U.S. can dis him.

What you and chicken Boo have said came to fruition already in this article:

Iranians decry harsh words for president - Yahoo! News

I feel like if I detest a person and all that they stand for, the last thign I do is invite them to my home only to treat them harshly. I simply don't understand the purpose for that at all. If he is detestable what does it say about you if you invite him places with you? Again I am not taking up for this guy based on who he is. What I am doing is saying that there is certain etiquette between the guest and the host, and America lokked silly doing it rather than ******.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member

I feel like if I detest a person and all that they stand for, the last thign I do is invite them to my home only to treat them harshly. I simply don't understand the purpose for that at all. If he is detestable what does it say about you if you invite him places with you? Again I am not taking up for this guy based on who he is. What I am doing is saying that there is certain etiquette between the guest and the host, and America lokked silly doing it rather than ******.
Frubals!

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate

I think Booko was saying that physically attacking Iran would cause Iranians to unite. I was the one who extended that to these remarks. Don't want to put words in Booko's mouth.

From the article:
Ahmadinejad's popularity at home has been suffering, with many Iranians blaming him for failing to fix the faltering economy and for heightening the confrontation with the West with his inflammatory rhetoric.

But in the eyes of many Iranian critics and supporters alike, Ahmadinejad looked like the victim. He complained about Bollinger's "insults" and "unfriendly treatment" but kept a measured tone throughout the discussion.

"Our president appeared as a gentleman. He remained polite against those who could not remain polite," said Ahmad Masoudi, a customer at a grocery store who had watched state TV's recorded version of the event, including Bollinger's remarks. Iranian Farsi channels did not air the event live.

Another customer in the store, Rasoul Qaresi, said Bollinger showed that even Americans "in a cultural position act like cowboys and nothing more."

Yup. :(

Otoh, allowing him to speak in the U.S. and say what he did definitely inflamed Americans against him. Maybe that was the intent. I could spin some conspiracy theories from this...

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Otoh, allowing him to speak in the U.S. and say what he did definitely inflamed Americans against him. Maybe that was the intent. I could spin some conspiracy theories from this...

Could couldn't you? It'd be easy to i know that. Ahhh, so you've hit upon the purpose of the invitation lil. This makes him look all the villain that it would take to gain a popular disposition for support to invade Iran. You answered my original question without trying...you're good!

However, what many people will overlook is that while he may be an unsavory character, it doesn't make everything he says false. He did say in another article about his countries involvment in nuclear activity, that he was open for normal inspections that everyone's else is subject to. However, he didn't want to lay himself open for it to become a political issue. He said he is not and doesn't plan on doing anything illegal in regards to nuclear power. I didn't see a problem with that. It is enough if he is not guilty of any criminal activity to allow the UN to inspect as per normal, but not anything more.

Iran leader says nuclear issue closed - Yahoo! News

He claims the nuclear power in Iran is for peaceful civilian purposes and not war. It has been substantiated that Iran does not enrich uranium beyond 5%, and from what I hear it has to be at least 90% for weapons grade nuke power. What do you all think about that? Do you believe him? Should he concede Iran's right to produce enough nuke power for civilian grade reactors as they have been, or should he halt the enrichment of uranium altogether to quell the UN and the US? If he does stop the program, will that stop the US from attacking them?

.lava

Veteran Member
What is likely to happen if the US attacks Iran?

hi

i don't really want to talk about this but can't hepl myself.
the truth aout this war is horrifying.

let me ask you one question in return.
why do you think USA didnot attack Iran yet?
what are they waiting for and why?
from where i stand, these questions should be asked.

so, any idea?

Cynic

hi

i don't really want to talk about this but can't hepl myself.
the truth aout this war is horrifying.

let me ask you one question in return.
why do you think USA didnot attack Iran yet?
Because they have not found evidence of WMDs. The Bush Administration has decided not to invade a country without provided evidence to prevent a diplomatic disaster.
what are they waiting for and why?
They are waiting on intelligence forces to provide some kind of evidence of WMDs, or for an event to occur that can be used as a casus belli (a justification to go to war).

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Because they have not found evidence of WMDs. The Bush Administration has decided not to invade a country without provided evidence to prevent a diplomatic disaster.
That didn't stop them the first time around.

.lava

Veteran Member

They are waiting on intelligence forces to provide some kind of evidence of WMDs, or for an event to occur that can be used as a casus belli (a justification to go to war).

when they made up reason to invade Iraq, they also let the lie to be heard by public. they also use protesters to control their citizens and they use public as their reason.

they didnot attack Iran because their main target is Turkey. since Iran has very strong army, US gov. decided to "creat" a reason to make Islamic countries attack eachother. attack Iran is the last thing they would do. yet Iran may attack Turkey if they buy it.